Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HRF Concepts COVR for RMR

Site Supporter

HRF Concepts COVR for RMR

Stumbled on this on Instagram, HRF concepts, best know for their AR rifle mag wells, is working on a ROMEO2 type removable cover to enclose the emitter of RMRs.

I’m assuming from the drawing it attaches via the drain holes rather than the mounting screws.

Name:  ECAE7516-C06A-4C7B-A3C9-8F85B77FBB34.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  25.9 KB

https://www.instagram.com/p/CniYY9AP..._web_copy_link

The details included there almost make it seem like it's utilizing extended mounting screws and drain hole screws, perhaps to maximize strength and durability.
    It's a cool idea if they can make it work.

Site Supporter
    I am interested. This cover addresses one of the two main objections to my currently preferred pistol optic.

I like the idea, but I like my PMM IRDS more.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

The concept is interesting. Big questions remain about things like glass clarity and keeping moisture out. The Romeo 2 does not seem foolproof and it was designed from the beginning to be a convertible.

Reckon it needs to be watertight if they fill up the drain holes with mounting hardware. The curvature of the back edges of the frame seem like they'd seal pretty well if the cover had a concave mating surface with a rubbery gasket. I have 2 RMR HRS and I really like the bombproof construction and auto adjust. Something to keep crap out of the emitter would be a worthwhile addition for sure.

Site Supporter
    One difference between this cover and a closed emitter optic will be that a good closed emitter optic will typically be purged, usually with nitrogen, to remove any water vapor.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    One difference between this cover and a closed emitter optic will be that a good closed emitter optic will typically be purged, usually with nitrogen, to remove any water vapor.
    You might think so, but Aimpoints aren’t. They use a clean room and strict humidity control, but no N2 purge.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    You might think so, but Aimpoints aren’t. They use a clean room and strict humidity control, but no N2 purge.
    That's interesting. I would have guessed they were nitrogen purged. But if it works, it works.

I wonder what Holosun does with their enclosed optics? I would guess they are not using closely controlled clean rooms, but IDK.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    I did not realize this, but reviewing the online specifications for a couple of Aimpoints does not include "nitrogen purged" in the list of features, which appears to confirm your statement. I guess if the humidity level is controlled sufficiently carefully, it works. I am surprised.

User Tag List