Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vermont?

Vermont?

It seems nice. I'd be moving from Kansas.

I enjoyed my visits there, but still preferred NH for a bunch of reasons.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I'd like to hear those reasons. I'm looking at weather, crime, and of course gun laws.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    I'd like to hear those reasons. I'm looking at weather, crime, and of course gun laws.
    Weather is about the same, crime is similar in similar types of area and NH is less restrictive, I believe. You’re only talking about an hour apart.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Vermont had permit-less carry long before it was a thing elsewhere. Not long ago they enacted a magazine ban. I think it’s a 15 round limit.

Site Supporter
    I’d move to New Hampshire and enjoy adjacent Vermont without the downsides. VT is generally a bit cleaner and more picturesque than NH, in my opinion, but NH has much lower taxes (no state income tax vs VT’s very high rates, and no sales tax vs VT’s 6%). Note that property taxes tend to be high compared to the mill rates in many other states. Gun rights are better protected in NH (no capacity limits in NH; both states have permitless carry), and the political climate in NH is certainly more balanced.

The lakes and mountains in both states are very beautiful, and you get four distinct seasons. Violent crime in the northern New England states (ME, NH, VT) is perennially lower than elsewhere in the US. The cities are small: VT’s biggest city has fewer than 50k inhabitants, and Manchester, NH just tops 100k.

Edit: I’ll add that I (and many other people with better taste than mine) find Vermont to be an exceptionally pleasant, peaceful, and beautiful place to spend leisure time. From Manchester to Newport, and from Putney to Burlington, there’s a lot to enjoy up there.
    Last edited by Le Français; 01-25-2023 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    I’d move to New Hampshire and enjoy adjacent Vermont without the downsides. VT is generally a bit cleaner and more picturesque than NH, in my opinion, but NH has much lower taxes (no state income tax vs VT’s very high rates, and no sales tax vs VT’s 6%). Note that property taxes tend to be high compared to the mill rates in many other states. Gun rights are better protected in NH (no capacity limits in NH; both states have permitless carry), and the political climate in NH is certainly more balanced.

The lakes and mountains in both states are very beautiful, and you get four distinct seasons. Violent crime in the northern New England states (ME, NH, VT) is perennially lower than elsewhere in the US. The cities are small: VT’s biggest city has fewer than 50k inhabitants, and Manchester, NH just tops 100k.
    Having lived in VT for about 5 years, I agree with this post.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post

Edit: I’ll add that I (and many other people with better taste than mine) find Vermont to be an exceptionally pleasant, peaceful, and beautiful place to spend leisure time. From Manchester to Newport, and from Putney to Burlington, there’s a lot to enjoy up there.
    Awesome and valuable feedback. Thank you! I very much enjoy distinct seasons, insofar as (and when) Kansas offers them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Weather is about the same, crime is similar in similar types of area and NH is less restrictive, I believe. You’re only talking about an hour apart.
    Buddy lives in VT - took a job there after 5 years overseas.

He hates it. The state has taken a turn to the left in the past 5 years from its classic liberal / tolerant roots as evidenced by the mag capacity ban. Property crimes and the drug offenses that drive it are not prosecuted (Soros funded DAs) with the usual results of ruining quality of life.

His experiences and observations match those detailed in this article. The New York Times is not exactly a bastion of the reactionary right but even they admit things are out of control.

The Bike Thieves of Burlington, Vermont
    A hunt for stolen goods has put citizens and business owners in the center of a debate about policing and a growing, sometimes violent, problem with crime.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/12/b...smid=share-url

Link above is a “gift” link do article should be viewable.

Site Supporter
    While Vermont (and many other places) has experienced recent increases in crime, I would respectfully suggest that anyone who finds the current crime rates in Vermont (much, much, much lower than in Kansas or Texas) to be unbearable lacks perspective.

I’ll add that some towns are definitely better than others, and it’s worth researching. If you can afford to live in or near Stowe, maybe do that instead of Barre, Charlotte over Burlington, etc. The prices can be quite shocking (what prices aren’t these days?). In some municipalities, anti-police and pro-crime policies have caused significant attrition among law enforcement. You don’t want to be the sucker paying thousands in local taxes in exchange for a 5-hour police response. Then again, if your experience is like that of almost every single Vermonter, year after year, you’re not going to need to call the police at all. It really is a quiet, peaceful place. Maybe not compared to some Swiss cantons or Finnish provinces, but compared to just about anywhere else flying Old Glory.
    Last edited by Le Français; 01-26-2023 at 08:41 AM.

User Tag List