Thread: 1911 mag problems

Site Supporter

1911 mag problems

I have a SW 1911Sc Commander for quite a few years. It's been a pretty good gun. A little jammy at first but that settled down. I usually don't shoot it at matches, maybe three times a year.

This summer, I had a problem seating mags. Wouldn't stay it and fell out even after chambering a round. Did it a couple of times. I thought maybe it was me, grip. Or maybe bad mag or two.

Yesterday, I took it out and it wouldn't keep a mag in a good deal of time. Mags were 8 round Wilson, McCormick and Meggar. On a 16 round stage, I went through 4 mags. So I quit the match rather than wasting people's time.

Thoughts:

1. A lot of bad mags?
    2. Something internal to the gun. Springs, what?

I'm not one for home remedies with a hacksaw, etc. But if I take it in, like some knowledge.

Thanks

What's the mag catch look like? Maybe the internal shelf rounded off, or broke?

Remove magazine. Double check the chamber to make sure no round is loaded. I would remove the magazine catch. As stated above, check the catch to see if something doesn’t look right. Inspect the spring. Then clean the magazine catch and the frame area the catch rides in. Reassemble. Next time you go shooting, shoot it and see what happens. It does sound like it could be a magazine catch issue. Make sure your shooting technique isn’t the culprit.

Check the mag release, sounds like it's broken, or the spring's shot. At least, that's the statistical probability rather than multiple mags failing at once.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List