Thread: "Amid a Plague of Shootings, Bystanders Become Heroes"

"Amid a Plague of Shootings, Bystanders Become Heroes"

"gift" link should not require subscription to the NYT. Not an unusual story there in my experience.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/25/u...smid=share-url

“I feel like people are starting to come to the realization that the only one who’s going to protect you is you,” said Jack Wilson, a county commissioner in Hood County, Texas, who teaches concealed-carry classes. “People have to be willing to intervene to stop these kinds of issues.”
    He was one of those bystanders: In 2019, Mr. Wilson was attending Sunday services at his church in White Settlement, Texas, when a gunman opened fire, killing two people. Mr. Wilson pulled out his own gun and fired, killing the assailant with a single shot.

“The only way law enforcement is going assist you is if they’re in your driveway,” he said. “That’s not a slam against law enforcement. They can’t be everywhere.”
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Obviously, I agree with being our own first responders. However, a "Plague of Shootings" is typical hyperbole. While many of these events are tragic, less than 100 people a year in a country of over 300 million is hardly a plague.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Vivid instances cause overestimate of prevalence. Well known effect. The Times also had a big article on gun control:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/24/o...th-health.html

Basically a banner moaning about how many guns mean we can't do anything meaningful and suggests 'solutions' that dance around the core issue of most crime being socio-economic problems with some disturbed folks in the mix. SD should be the Biden Double Barrel, shoot through the door solution. I'm kind of generalizing. However, the right to carry in most places with not extreme requirements and to own semis, again with just reasonable checks - isn't really supported. Does mention absolutists on both sides dominant the conversation. Another go nowhere piece to get his paycheck.

There's another Ukraine surrender piece for stability, don't nuke Biden's Corvette and cheap gas piece.

If the Times cost me anything I would be upset.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 01-25-2023 at 12:09 PM.

You can't count on well intentioned "good guys without a gun" being successful that often. Reasonable gun laws (I like Idaho, others will differ) and a good percentage of citizenry who carry would tip the balance, maybe more often than not. (says Mr. Obvious)

User Tag List