Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple Air Tag Tracker Found Hidden on Marked NYPD Vehicle

Site Supporter
    Maybe it is the news reporting but the AirTag was under the hood. Despite all my ninja skills, opening a police car and popping a hood and playing an Airtag seems pretty bold thus girlfriend/boyfriend. But maybe reach up from underneath the car, probably a You Tube video on how to pop a hood without entering the car as well.

My first thought was slipping it through a crack, maybe in front of the windshield.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Maybe it is the news reporting but the AirTag was under the hood. Despite all my ninja skills, opening a police car and popping a hood and playing an Airtag seems pretty bold thus girlfriend/boyfriend. But maybe reach up from underneath the car, probably a You Tube video on how to pop a hood without entering the car as well.
    Under the hood could be slipped up from the front grille, no?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Under the hood could be slipped up from the front grille, no?
    Things you don’t want, like a dead bird, or a 10mm socket, will enter and stay put.

Something you wanted to stick will fall out every damn time.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    If you have an apple device and an airtag (or airpods) that aren't associated with your account are "following" you, don't you get a notification?

On vacation recently my phone wore me out with notifications about the airpods that where "moving with you" - they were one of my daughter's airpods.
    If you have an iPhone with standard settings you do.

Sounds like admin's trying to track their people. May not be romantic partners or domestic terrorists, just shit stain supervision.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Sounds like admin's trying to track their people. May not be romantic partners or domestic terrorists, just shit stain supervision.
    We had OTAR for that back when. (Can't they track marked vehicles without using Apple gear?) I'm not up on current equipment.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    They should have left the tag at the local supermax prison.

Make it easier for the person who bought it to get where they need to be going...

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    We had OTAR for that back when. (Can't they track marked vehicles without using Apple gear?) I'm not up on current equipment.
    Our CAD system had GPS location tied into it. They can track your every move in the car along with your current speed. Originally it was with the assurance it wouldn’t be used for discipline. That changed when we got an asshat for a Chief. The radio system had a feature they could turn on that turned the radio into a listening device. I never heard it had actually been used but who knows.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Get a couple of airtags and play with them, they can be interesting. I did that with some (consenting) helpful others. If you're not familiar...

Handy to drop in airline luggage or send on a road trip.
    Lots of gaps in coverage and detection.
    Functionality relies on bluetooth comms between the tag and apple devices.
    It doesn't track in real time, but by updates as it connects to devices, and those devices connect to servers.
    An airtag placed on an android user's vehicle may never be noticed, or not until an ios user detects it and informs the mark. Then, delayed as above.
    Dummy i-account is the answer, but returns bad info. Then you go to the towers for geo-locating the suspect.
    Discussion online in tech forums says they can hack the tags, redirect the notification, etc to avoid detection. Seems to work to some extent if you know how.
    Found airtags may never be reported. If reported, it's late.
    Mapping of an airtag's route, timestamps require outside apps. I don't think any work as well as advertised.
    Notifications of airtags following you aren't as functional as apple safety notices/policies allege.
    The same tag has to be detected by the same device for a specified interval of time/movement in order to generate a warning.
    Make it harder to find by removing the onboard speaker (easy), or junking the case and putting the internals together in another form.

Cool widgets, but if you want to e-follow someone there's better tech.
    Last edited by ST911; 01-24-2023 at 09:35 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List