Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple Air Tag Tracker Found Hidden on Marked NYPD Vehicle

Site Supporter

Apple Air Tag Tracker Found Hidden on Marked NYPD Vehicle

I’ve heard of Air Tags being used in “jugging” crimes but this appears to be new for anti police groups.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/apple-air...d-vehicle-hood

Apple AirTag tracking device found hidden under marked NYPD vehicle hood
    The Apple AirTag was found on a marked police car in Queens

The New York City Police Department said Monday that an Apple AirTag was discovered under the hood of a marked patrol vehicle in Queens.

The small tracking device that connects to Apple's "Find My" network was found on the police car on Sunday in a small plastic baggie.

In response to the discovery, NYPD Chief of Housing Martine Materasso reminded the department to be wary during their inspections of marked cars, given the anti-police attacks occurring across the country. The vehicles are supposed to be inspected before and after officers' tours.

"Please keep a heightened state of vigilance, in light of the anti-police sentiment we have seen not only here, but across the U.S.," Materasso wrote in the email to officers, according to the New York Daily News.

Continue looking out for each other and be safe," Materasso continued.

Apple announced last year that it was working with law enforcement to avoid "unwanted tracking" through the use of AirTags.
    Every AirTag has a unique serial number, and paired AirTags are associated with an Apple ID. Apple can provide the paired account details in response to a subpoena or valid request from law enforcement," Apple wrote in their statement. "We have successfully partnered with them on cases where information we provided has been used to trace an AirTag back to the perpetrator, who was then apprehended and charged."

The modern day version of WWRL radio's broadcasting the NYPD "color of the day" over the airwaves back in the day. The hatred continues.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

The only way an AirTag can actually be used to track anything is to have it assigned to a specific Apple account tied to specific Apple devices.

In other words… those things work both ways. Won’t be hard to find the perp.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    The only way an AirTag can actually be used to track anything is to have it assigned to a specific Apple account tied to specific Apple devices.

In other words… those things work both ways. Won’t be hard to find the perp.
    No, that was in the article- but nobody said purpose are really smart.

Depending on how sophisticated they are, it’s not impossible to make a dummy / dead end Apple ID account either.

My question is, is this going to turn out to be antifa or an overzealous supervisor or boyfriend/girlfriend?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    boyfriend/girlfriend?
    that was literally my expectation when clicking on the thread.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I imagine there are a lot more of these being used in this way than you'd think.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

AirTags are routinely used by stalkers to facilitate harm against individuals. This is a known thing to cops working DV and sex crimes.

First time I've personally heard of it being used against police, though.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

If you have an apple device and an airtag (or airpods) that aren't associated with your account are "following" you, don't you get a notification?

On vacation recently my phone wore me out with notifications about the airpods that where "moving with you" - they were one of my daughter's airpods.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    No, that was in the article- but nobody said purpose are really smart.

Depending on how sophisticated they are, it’s not impossible to make a dummy / dead end Apple ID account either.

My question is, is this going to turn out to be antifa or an overzealous supervisor or boyfriend/girlfriend?
    If they were THAT sophisticated they would certainly have access to rather more sophisticated tracking devices- making a fake Apple ID that actually works within their system is nontrivial.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    If you have an apple device and an airtag (or airpods) that aren't associated with your account are "following" you, don't you get a notification?

On vacation recently my phone wore me out with notifications about the airpods that where "moving with you" - they were one of my daughter's airpods.
    They added that awhile back.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List