Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mouse Guns Get Even Mousier

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Sooner or later, modern materials, propellants, stupid high chamber pressures, whatever, it seems likely there's going to be a pistol-sized pistol capable of breaking the 2000-2300fps threshold. Does it really matter if the permanent crush cavity is only 3mm in diameter if the rifle-type-wounding shredded tissue is considerably larger? Legitimate question.

Rapid erosion of the chamber doesn't honestly seem like a problem for something with a drop-in replacement barrel. Getting rifle ballistics out of a pistol would be a pretty big win that would justify a whole lot of drawbacks.
    I am no physicist but every rxn = equal/opposite rxn.

Between limitations of barrel length and acceptable recoil characteristics in an actual (not just ATF defined) pistol I don't think we will get rifle like injuries from a handgun. Just sort of the worst of both worlds.

maybe I'll be proven wrong. Just not sure how you can get away from the recoil/energy required to propel a cartridge fast enough to do so. but again, not a physicist nor an engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I am no physicist but every rxn = equal/opposite rxn.

Between limitations of barrel length and acceptable recoil characteristics in an actual (not just ATF defined) pistol I don't think we will get rifle like injuries from a handgun. Just sort of the worst of both worlds.

maybe I'll be proven wrong. Just not sure how you can get away from the recoil/energy required to propel a cartridge fast enough to do so. but again, not a physicist nor an engineer.
    Maybe if you build it on the Desert Eagle frame... It's not like it can get much more impractical, lol.

Sooner or later, modern materials, propellants, stupid high chamber pressures, whatever, it seems likely there's going to be a pistol-sized pistol capable of breaking the 2000-2300fps threshold. Does it really matter if the permanent crush cavity is only 3mm in diameter if the rifle-type-wounding shredded tissue is considerably larger? Legitimate question.

Rapid erosion of the chamber doesn't honestly seem like a problem for something with a drop-in replacement barrel. Getting rifle ballistics out of a pistol would be a pretty big win that would justify a whole lot of drawbacks.
    IIRC, the barrel erosion was pretty severe. It wasn't something as workable as 10,000 rounds vs a 9mm barrel that can usually go 50,000+ rounds at a minimum.

IIRC, it was a thousand rounds or less...again, don't quote me on the number, but it was something pretty extreme....and that was with 4.6x30mm, which does not give us rifle like ballistics. So, if you used emergent composite case technology and novel powders to get us a rifle-like ballistics version of the 4.6 or 5.7, the erosion would be even worse.

ETA: I think it may have been the late Jim Schatz (PM for HK) over at HKPRO that discussed it. That was a long time ago, though, so I wish I could find it directly to give you.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Tommybuilt Tactical has made ~20 or so semiauto MP7's from parts kits. They sell for $40k+.

So 4.6x30 is not *EXCLUSIVELY* the realm of a few HK-initiated SOT's and a few spicy secret squirrel mil units anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    IIRC, the barrel erosion was pretty severe. It wasn't something as workable as 10,000 rounds vs a 9mm barrel that can usually go 50,000+ rounds at a minimum.

IIRC, it was a thousand rounds or less...again, don't quote me on the number, but it was something pretty extreme....and that was with 4.6x30mm, which does not give us rifle like ballistics. So, if you used emergent composite case technology and novel powders to get us a rifle-like ballistics version of the 4.6 or 5.7, the erosion would be even worse.

ETA: I think it may have been the late Jim Schatz (PM for HK) over at HKPRO that discussed it. That was a long time ago, though, so I wish I could find it directly to give you.

https://www.hkpro.com/threads/hk-ucp.126642/

Wasn't barrel wear, it was lockup wear because the forces involved really beat the crap out of the gun apparently. But instead of HK evolving that idea and solving that problem with metallurgy, the relatively poor performance out of pistol length barrels is what apparently killed the UCP once and for all:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckle...ler_&_Koch_UCP

I'll take the 2.7mm Kolibri, please...

What you suggest has been attempted before, most notably with the .224BOZ. Although the .224BOZ proved capable of firing a 40-grain steel core projectile at 2,300 fps from a 5'' barrel, excessive erosion at the leade of the bore was not the only factor that led to its demise. Enormous bolt face thrust resulted in failures/cracking that required special hardening processes to accommodate.

The forces resulting from the increased pressures required for shortened runways to match the performance obtained in longer runways at lower pressures will always play havoc with smaller guns (pistols) by battering their engagement surfaces to death.

On the other hand, even if those mechanical consequences could be mitigated to the point at which the concept would become feasible and attractive enough to pursue, would you really want to fire a realistically concealable pistol (5'' barrel or less, weighing 25 - 32 ounces) that was capable of firing a standard weight (120 - 180 grains) service rifle-caliber projectile at >>2,300 fps?

Such an arrangement would have a free recoil velocity (25.2 fps) exceeding the recoil velocity (23.7 fps) of the .454 Casull (300 grs @ 1,650 fps) from a Super Redhawk.

Ouch. No thanks.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 01-24-2023 at 04:44 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List