Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mouse Guns Get Even Mousier

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Mouse Guns Get Even Mousier

A 4.6x30mm?

What’s next, a 3mm? Or a 0.9mm, for all of those crappily edited news stories?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    It was developed by H&K back in the late 90’s for their PDW program and is in current use with some specialized US military folks in the MP7. The only reason it hasn’t been available publicly is that zee Germans said that gun and it’s cartridge weren’t meant for civilian consumption.

https://www.heckler-koch.com/en/prod.../overview.html

Hot on the heels of the M&P 5.7 thread, seems this is my favourite thread to quote

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    A 4.6x30mm?

You won't see 4.6 in a pistol...especially a mouse gun.

Similar to how FN developed the P90 and Five-seveN pair, HK developed the MP7 and UCP pair (Ultimate Combat Pistol). The UCP was cancelled in development as HK stated that they couldn't get satisfactory ballistics in pistol length...I seem to remember there being a problem with accelerated erosion in pistol length barrels, as well.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

A 4.6x30mm?

Pistols (albeit fairly large ones that would be problematic to conceal) in 4.6x30 have been available since late 2021 according to this article—

https://www.gunsweek.com/en/pistols/...vilian-firearm

A barrel length of 8'' seems to be the minimum viable length:

https://cmmg.com/pistol-banshee-mk4-4-6x30mm-8
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

I've got a pack of 3mm in my bag, 2mm in my pocket, and a 0.9mm clipped to my legal pad cover.

Seems like the 22 lunacy in the J frame thread has died down….. hopefully this won’t reignite it

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    It was developed by H&K back in the late 90’s for their PDW program and is in current use with some specialized US military folks in the MP7. The only reason it hasn’t been available publicly is that zee Germans said that gun and it’s cartridge weren’t meant for civilian consumption.

https://www.heckler-koch.com/en/prod.../overview.html
    It's actually been intermittently available on the civilian market for years( prior to 2020 ammo drought at least) just no guns to shoot it in.
    SG Ammo used to have it occasionally, I guess as overruns from police contracts.
    Only users would be Class 3 dealers with post sample MP7s, but it was out there.
    Edit to add: Similar to how 9x39mm showed up for sale through Wolf long before anybody had any guns in the US that could shoot it.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Well, we all know their unofficial motto:

Name:  HK shirt.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  32.9 KB
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Sooner or later, modern materials, propellants, stupid high chamber pressures, whatever, it seems likely there's going to be a pistol-sized pistol capable of breaking the 2000-2300fps threshold. Does it really matter if the permanent crush cavity is only 3mm in diameter if the rifle-type-wounding shredded tissue is considerably larger? Legitimate question.

Rapid erosion of the chamber doesn't honestly seem like a problem for something with a drop-in replacement barrel. Getting rifle ballistics out of a pistol would be a pretty big win that would justify a whole lot of drawbacks.

User Tag List