Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullpups, good alternative to AR pistols?

Bullpups, good alternative to AR pistols?

With the new atf shenanigans I am revisting the idea of having a bullpup. I had a x95 and I really liked it but sold it during my divorce and mid life crisis. I am leaning to getting another, anyone else rethinking bullpups or is it just me?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    With the new atf shenanigans I am revisting the idea of having a bullpup. I had a x95 and I really liked it but sold it during my divorce and mid life crisis. I am leaning to getting another, anyone else rethinking bullpups or is it just me?
    I’ve always liked the idea of bull pups but the AUG is the closest the execution has come to something I’d want to use for real.

The Tavor is OK but it handles like a 2x4.

Been interested in the Springfield but not because of anything to do with braces

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I know they are KelTec but the RDB series are lightweight and have nice factory triggers.

I also have a few X95 but they are portly.

Site Supporter
    From the standpoint of having a shoulder stock in a small package with few legal issues, they seem to make sense.

Having something that can be carried loaded and concealed has value. In my state, I cannot have a loaded rifle or shotgun having a normal barrel length in a vehicle, so a bullpup does not address that concern. A loaded and concealed AR pistol is no problem with my concealed handgun license.

I hated the ergonomics of whatever Tavor I played with for a bit. I’m already on a bunch of lists to include the NFA since I have a can, won’t hurt to SBR more for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had an AUG for a while and liked it. I only sold it because I rarely shot it and someone else wanted it more than I did. The corners of cross bolt safety were pretty sharp but that’s pretty much my only real complaint. I thought the quick change barrel was really neat and I liked how the gun would still return to zero after you removed and reinstalled the barrel. The newer production guns with the longer rail are even better. The Corvus Defensio brass deflector is probably the only thing the gun really needs once you’ve got sights, lights, and slings taken care of. The Corvus extended magazine release and one of the aftermarket charging handles are just nice upgrades but they aren’t mandatory to have a good experience with the gun. The magazines are very reliable and not too expensive also. The AUG balanced well and seemed accurate enough at 50-100y. I never got a chance to shoot it at distances further than that.

The big benefit of AR pistols was the ability to have them loaded in the vehicle and that carrying them concealed, like in a bag, would be covered under a CHL. My understanding of NM law from @JodyH is that we’re one of the states where it’s illegal to have a loaded rifle in a vehicle so the bullpup is not going to be the quickest gun to get into action if it’s your car gun. Jody said that even having the rifle condition three (magazine inserted without a round chambered) is considered loaded so you’d be having to lock a mag in and chamber a round to get a car rifle ready to fire. An AR pistol would be faster to get into action since you’d be able to drive around with the magazine inserted (I prefer not to have rounds chambered in rifles in a vehicle unless the rifle is about to be used since the majority of them aren’t drop safe). With braced pistols likely having to be SBR’d soon, most of the advantages of a braced pistol over a bullpup go away. A cheek pistol like @RustyCrusty uses would still retain the benefits of being a pistol. I haven’t played around with the idea yet so I have no idea how hard it is to get your skill with one to the same level you are with a stocked rifle.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I love the Steyr AUG, I have three of them. One original preban with a 20 inch barrel, One of the Sabre Defense ones set up with a older Leupold 1.5-5 LVPO and SF light, and the third with a Aimpoint T1 and SF light. They solve a lot of the long gun in a short package problems that you can run up against. I'm left handed so I run left hand bolts in all of mine. AUG's also lend themselves to doing some tasks one handed or being run like a big pistol as well, stuff like opening doors, moving people... AUG's are my favorite fighting rifle after the AR15.

As for the loaded in the car problem set, I am predicting a run on braced equipped short shotguns loaded with slugs becoming a thing until the ATF gets around to them...
    " The State is what it is because the citizens are what they are. We may not expect better States until we have better men." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I had an AUG for a while and liked it. I only sold it because I rarely shot it and someone else wanted it more than I did. The corners of cross bolt safety were pretty sharp but that’s pretty much my only real complaint. I thought the quick change barrel was really neat and I liked how the gun would still return to zero after you removed and reinstalled the barrel. The newer production guns with the longer rail are even better. The Corvus Defensio brass deflector is probably the only thing the gun really needs once you’ve got sights, lights, and slings taken care of. The Corvus extended magazine release and one of the aftermarket charging handles are just nice upgrades but they aren’t mandatory to have a good experience with the gun. The magazines are very reliable and not too expensive also. The AUG balanced well and seemed accurate enough at 50-100y. I never got a chance to shoot it at distances further than that.

The big benefit of AR pistols was the ability to have them loaded in the vehicle and that carrying them concealed, like in a bag, would be covered under a CHL. My understanding of NM law from @JodyH is that we’re one of the states where it’s illegal to have a loaded rifle in a vehicle so the bullpup is not going to be the quickest gun to get into action if it’s your car gun. Jody said that even having the rifle condition three (magazine inserted without a round chambered) is considered loaded so you’d be having to lock a mag in and chamber a round to get a car rifle ready to fire. An AR pistol would be faster to get into action since you’d be able to drive around with the magazine inserted (I prefer not to have rounds chambered in rifles in a vehicle unless the rifle is about to be used since the majority of them aren’t drop safe). With braced pistols likely having to be SBR’d soon, most of the advantages of a braced pistol over a bullpup go away. A cheek pistol like @RustyCrusty uses would still retain the benefits of being a pistol. I haven’t played around with the idea yet so I have no idea how hard it is to get your skill with one to the same level you are with a stocked rifle.
    Nm also only allows one concealed pistol from my understanding also.. so doesn't that mean the ar pistol is a no go if you are carrying something like a g19? Maybe I need a refresher.

This is honestly more for a transport perspective (small bag to store it in even if it is condition 4) as well as using it for my home. Short and can easily hold/fire it one handed if needed. More of a thought exercise right now since I'm so invested in ARs

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I hated the ergonomics of whatever Tavor I played with for a bit. I’m already on a bunch of lists to include the NFA since I have a can, won’t hurt to SBR more for me.
    I guess one retained benefit is the noise reduction of a 16" 223 over an 11.5" one. If talking 300 BLK then disregard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    A cheek pistol like @RustyCrusty uses would still retain the benefits of being a pistol. I haven’t played around with the idea yet so I have no idea how hard it is to get your skill with one to the same level you are with a stocked rifle.
    I wonder if we are going to see a resurgence of sling tension shooting for AR pistol / MPX pistol type things.

User Tag List