Thread: Waaaaay off topic - R/C cars and trucks?

Waaaaay off topic - R/C cars and trucks?

I picked up a basic R/C 4wd rally car this weekend to use with the kids (a Traxxas Ford Fiesta.) My intent is to just have fun, I’m not looking to do anything competitive. I’ll look around to see if there are any tracks nearby that I can take them. I figure at least one of the three kids will develop an interest.

I briefly looked at parking lot racing about 25 years ago when a friend was doing it but never jumped. Is anyone here into R/C?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Yes, I was actually paid an engineering salary to work on R/C gear for a while, but the flying kind.
    Along the way I bought a Losi Rock Rey truck in 1/10 scale for my nephews to play with. These things are so much fun! Battery and radio technology has come such a long way, you can have incredibly performing vehicles out of the box these days!
    I still have a plan to mount a simple FPV camera setup to the truck so that I can get a cockpit view while driving.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I picked up a basic R/C 4wd rally car this weekend to use with the kids (a Traxxas Ford Fiesta.) My intent is to just have fun, I’m not looking to do anything competitive. I’ll look around to see if there are any tracks nearby that I can take them. I figure at least one of the three kids will develop an interest.

I briefly looked at parking lot racing about 25 years ago when a friend was doing it but never jumped. Is anyone here into R/C?
    Seriously, you bought a remote control fiesta? You could probably buy a real one for about the same money. I bet your RC one is faster.

Chris

^^^ Savage. My only times running Road America was in a friend’s Focus, that’s part of why the Fiesta appealed.

I’m a scale modeler, so the more scaley things are what interest me. I could see being sucked into a rabbit hole here, I’d like to see if there are any parking lot racers around. When I was looking before, it was the dawn of the AWD road car era with chassis like Schumacher. That stuff still appeals.

I had a long chat with the guy at the factory store, he was telling me some guys set up their Fiestas for parking lot racing.

Money pit dead ahead…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    ^^^ Savage. My only times running Road America was in a friend’s Focus, that’s part of why the Fiesta appealed.

I’m a scale modeler, so the more scaley things are what interest me. I could see being sucked into a rabbit hole here, I’d like to see if there are any parking lot racers around. When I was looking before, it was the dawn of the AWD road car era with chassis like Schumacher. That stuff still appeals.

I had a long chat with the guy at the factory store, he was telling me some guys set up their Fiestas for parking lot racing.

Money pit dead ahead…
    I shouldn't mock, my daily driver is a '13 Focus, but at least it's a 5-speed. Nimble and fun little car, but I wish I had sprung for the ST instead.

I'll just live vicariously through you on this one. If I pick up another hobby SWMBO might gut me.

Chris

Traxxas HQ is here in the DFW area.

I had no idea the RC car market was as big as it is.
    David S.

As mentioned in the Daily BS thread I was into RC back in the late-80s. Then I tried again in the early 2000s with some "mini" (1/16 scale, maybe?) electric trucks with stepson and we had a blast with them for awhile. at the tail end of that a friend gave me all of his gas stuff( and it was a ton of gas stuff!). Never wound up running any of it, and gave it to a friend with a son for them to mess with. Tried again (ish) a couple of years ago with older daughter. Tried it out with an inexpensive RTR from Amazon or wherever. She seemed more interested in breaking it, and I seemed disinterested in fixing it, so now it sits in the garage.

One thing that either didn't exist, or didn't have a name, or I wasn't aware of in the late-80s is "bashing". which I take to mean "anything informal and non-racing". I still have some interest in RC from that aspect. My maximizer brain has issues with keeping things limited, but I think that removing the competitive nature has helped in the past. Stepson's mom had to keep reminding me that the boy wasn't interested in the tinkering, just the driving.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Traxxas HQ is here in the DFW area.

I had no idea the RC car market was as big as it is.
    That’s the place I was at. To be honest I was shocked at the size of their facility - they must do all their warehousing on site, but the land and building is very large. The store is about the size of a 7/11, but is big enough to do the job.

If this clicks with any of the kids, my plan is to bring them back as a special trip so they can pick their own.
    Ken

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    My maximizer brain has issues with keeping things limited, but I think that removing the competitive nature has helped in the past.
    Huh. I learned a new term today. It explains a lot about my approach to my hobbies and why I try not to pick up new ones these days.

Amateur radio is really bad for triggering that in me.

Chris

Interesting. I fit both categories, but in different interests.
    Ken

User Tag List