Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hot weather gear for 2023

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I want to like merino wool base layers very much.

I have various offerings in various weights from Icebreaker, Smartwool, Red Ram, Vaude and First Ascent (eddie bauer)

I have worn these for various campouts, scouting events, travel specific clothes, cold weather gear and I have even worn one at work in the office with jacket/tie for 5 days in a row just to see how much it would stink v not stink. (It passed- much less stick that any other material to include ex officio synthetic after day 3.)

I have made the following conclusions

1. Merino wool stinks less than synthetics after hard/multiple day use
    2. Merino wool is more expensive than similarly performing synthetics
    3. Merino wool is less durable than similarly performing synthetics, particularly the lighter in weight you go with the wool.
    4. Merino wool looks better and has better hand.
    5. I sweat more with wool than a comparable synthetic after about 75 Fahrenheit.
    6. Bolder colors are more widely available with synthetics
    7. There is a whole class of synthetics sold at Target/Walmart/Old Navy etc. that perform at 70-80% of a Tier One brand for 20 per shirt max (1/3 or retail) all day long.
    8. It is just a matter of time that AIWB will wear a hole in a merino wool base layer v. synthetics.

As Pat Rogers used to say - Mission Drives the Gear. If RFR is driving the train, I can see how merino wool would be quite attractive and all the concerns raised to date are simply the cost of doing business.

I am skewing to synthetics going forward though I make it a point to fly on commercial aircraft in cotton/merino wool etc. for the FR.
    I wear merino wool socks and undershirts year round, and carry appendix. Mind you I live in the temperate climate of northern VA (temperate most of the year as summer is incredibly humid) but I find myself preferring merino to any other fabric.

Bamboo is pretty good too, at least for undershirts but we'll see when summer hits.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Thread drift re socks

Concur re Merino for socks.

Costco/Smartwool/Ice Breaker/Darn Tough.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Since we're talking Merino...

I came across this brand from a youtube video
    https://unboundmerino.com/collection...-wool-clothing

Are these kinds of prices typical? $88 for a t-shirt?

@GJM recommended a Voormi hoodie, which is $129? same question, typical of Merino prices?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

@GJM recommended a Voormi hoodie, which is $129? same question, typical of Merino prices?
    Yes, merino wool clothing typically sits at that kind of price point, at least the known brands. You can find some blends that are cheaper (e.g., mixing merino wool with polyester, etc.), but the pure wool stuff is not cheap. Whether the higher price point is worth is depends on what you need it for, there really isn't much out there with the capabilities of merino wool (excellent thermo-regulation, quick drying, no-melt/no-drip, and odor resistant).

I have baselayers from Icebreaker and SmartWool, along with socks from SmartWool and DarnTough. I strongly prefer them over any of the synthetic pieces I have in the same category.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

FWIW I’ve found merino wool, even socks, don’t work well for me working outdoors in central Alabama. Once humidity levels get above a certain level usually in late April early May they just don’t seem to evaporate sweat as well as even a box store synthetic. Merino wool socks will stay soggy enough with sweat that I’ve had problems with atheletes foot when trying to use them. Note I do wear goretex footwear year round because early morning dew will lead to soaked through shoes and get you wet feet all day long, even in the summer.

Site Supporter
    https://www.sierra.com/s~merino-wool...othing~d~15/3/

Historically, Sierra Trading Post was a go to for quality outdoor goods at 30-60% off. Particularly, before they were acquired by TJ Maxx inc.

Now, they are a little more hit and miss but bargains can still be found. Free shipping is still avail though typically triggered at 89+

No question that merino wool garments are typically more expensive than comparable synthetics.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List