Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hot weather gear for 2023

hot weather gear for 2023

The last few summer weight wool undershirts I got were from XGO. We had a thread about them ~2 years ago that I can not find for the life of me. Looks like they've discontinued their wool line, which is disappointing.

I'll be spending a few months in triple digit temps this year and am looking for another source for something similar. Who has what and are there alternatives that do not feel like wearing a lawn and leaf bag? Low humidity.

Also, happy with kuhl hot weather pants. Something else I should consider? TIA!

My go-to hot weather pants are the Outdoor Research Ferrosi pants, been using them for years. I've also picked up a pair of Patagonia Quandary pants recently, haven't had a chance to try them in hot weather with, but I think they could be very viable, albeit slightly hotter than the Ferrosi. The Arc'teryx Gamma SL could also be a viable hot weather pant, albeit again a bit hotter than the Ferrosi. The Arc'teryx Creston is also a good hot weather pant, though I wear it less due to the lack of stretch, so I can't climb as well in them (more than fine for just hiking though).

For shirts, I've been using the Outdoor Research Astroman line for a long time. For true outdoor stuff, I've mostly switched to sun hoodies in general (OR Astroman, BD Alpenglow Pro, Arc'teryx Cormac), but if you want a shirt, the Astroman is great IME. The Arc'teryx Elaho is also nice.

If you don't care about colorway, I also use the IHWCU pants when doing SAR calls, as it is more durable and less snaggy on plants. Definitely runs a bit hotter than the other pants I've listed, but still way better than my Vertx Phantom LT or 50/50 NYCO pants.

Site Supporter
    I like the minus33 micro with a little nylon and spandex in it. It’s got a nice slightly longer body.

For hot weather long pants I like LLBean Cresta hiking pants. Although I’m often in shorts in summer unless I’m going off the trail. Luckily we don’t have many ticks here.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    My go-to hot weather pants are the Outdoor Research Ferrosi pants, been using them for years. I've also picked up a pair of Patagonia Quandary pants recently, haven't had a chance to try them in hot weather with, but I think they could be very viable, albeit slightly hotter than the Ferrosi. The Arc'teryx Gamma SL could also be a viable hot weather pant, albeit again a bit hotter than the Ferrosi. The Arc'teryx Creston is also a good hot weather pant, though I wear it less due to the lack of stretch, so I can't climb as well in them (more than fine for just hiking though).

For shirts, I've been using the Outdoor Research Astroman line for a long time. For true outdoor stuff, I've mostly switched to sun hoodies in general (OR Astroman, BD Alpenglow Pro, Arc'teryx Cormac), but if you want a shirt, the Astroman is great IME. The Arc'teryx Elaho is also nice.

If you don't care about colorway, I also use the IHWCU pants when doing SAR calls, as it is more durable and less snaggy on plants. Definitely runs a bit hotter than the other pants I've listed, but still way better than my Vertx Phantom LT or 50/50 NYCO pants.

Do your Astroman shirts pill in short order?
    I ask because I cannot buy more if they are in rough shape after 6-7 launderings. I love the cut and the fabric.

But huge second on Ferrosi anything. That fabric is magic - will always make you more comfortable.

In a similar vein. Otte Gear is selling some sun shirts that I am trying out.

Quote Originally Posted by DrkBlue View Post
    Do your Astroman shirts pill in short order?
    I ask because I cannot buy more if they are in rough shape after 6-7 launderings. I love the cut and the fabric.

But huge second on Ferrosi anything. That fabric is magic - will always make you more comfortable.
    Most of my Astromans have not had any noticeable issues with pilling; I have polos and shirts that are several years old that don't seem to have more pilling than my newer shirts; I suspect the pilling, at least on my end, is mostly a function of abrasion, as most of it seems fairly localized to the front of the shirt, guessing it comes from it rubbing against rocks and walls when I'm climbing. One of my Astroman sun hoodies has no discernible pilling despite having of been laundered many times, as I use it strictly for road running, and have never taken it climbing. If anything, I have way more pilling with my Ferrosi pants, also localized to areas of high abrasion, and for the most part still looks just fine unless you know where to look.

Solid recommendations. Thank you very much and I will be acting on those.

Are wool t-shirts dead?

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Solid recommendations. Thank you very much and I will be acting on those.

Are wool t-shirts dead?
    I think wool is still fine in terms of comfort and thermoregulation, I just personally am a bit more leery of using merino wool outside of baselayers due to perceptions of weaker durability, along with less sun protection, at a somewhat higher cost than their synthetic counterparts.

Voormi makes light wool hoodie sun shirts that are excellent.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Voormi makes light wool hoodie sun shirts that are excellent.
    I haven’t worn a wool one, but I really like hooded hot weather shirts now.

A favorite brand
    https://www.manggear.com/collections/mens-hoodies
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    I want to like merino wool base layers very much.

I have various offerings in various weights from Icebreaker, Smartwool, Red Ram, Vaude and First Ascent (eddie bauer)

I have worn these for various campouts, scouting events, travel specific clothes, cold weather gear and I have even worn one at work in the office with jacket/tie for 5 days in a row just to see how much it would stink v not stink. (It passed- much less stick that any other material to include ex officio synthetic after day 3.)

I have made the following conclusions

1. Merino wool stinks less than synthetics after hard/multiple day use
    2. Merino wool is more expensive than similarly performing synthetics
    3. Merino wool is less durable than similarly performing synthetics, particularly the lighter in weight you go with the wool.
    4. Merino wool looks better and has better hand.
    5. I sweat more with wool than a comparable synthetic after about 75 Fahrenheit.
    6. Bolder colors are more widely available with synthetics
    7. There is a whole class of synthetics sold at Target/Walmart/Old Navy etc. that perform at 70-80% of a Tier One brand for 20 per shirt max (1/3 or retail) all day long.
    8. It is just a matter of time that AIWB will wear a hole in a merino wool base layer v. synthetics.

As Pat Rogers used to say - Mission Drives the Gear. If RFR is driving the train, I can see how merino wool would be quite attractive and all the concerns raised to date are simply the cost of doing business.

I am skewing to synthetics going forward though I make it a point to fly on commercial aircraft in cotton/merino wool etc. for the FR.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List