Thread: Old primers safe to use?

Old primers safe to use?

I'm sure this is covered somewhere in this sub-forum, but my searching didn't find it. So . . .

I haven't reloaded in years. Decades actually; probably 30+ years. Thought I had given away consumables, but found a few thousand primers in a closed box in my garage. So, kept in an generally-closed garage, but they've been subjected to the temp and humidity variations of the Southeast for all those years.

Should I give those away with the disclosure of age, or spray them with WD-40 and put them in the trash?

Thanks!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    I'm sure this is covered somewhere in this sub-forum, but my searching didn't find it. So . . .

I haven't reloaded in years. Decades actually; probably 30+ years. Thought I had given away consumables, but found a few thousand primers in a closed box in my garage. So, kept in an generally-closed garage, but they've been subjected to the temp and humidity variations of the Southeast for all those years.

Should I give those away with the disclosure of age, or spray them with WD-40 and put them in the trash?

Thanks!
    Give them away with the disclosure. Chances are, they're fine. It wouldn't take much testing to determine if they're good or not.

I've got primers that are probably about that age that always worked fine, but they were stored in more consistent environments.

Other than being in your garage, how were they stored (sealed in an ammo can or sitting on the floor next to the oily rags)?

Chris

I’d load them up or find someone that would, at least some test rounds. I wouldn’t be afraid to at all.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Other than being in your garage, how were they stored (sealed in an ammo can or sitting on the floor next to the oily rags)?

Chris
    They were stored in a closed wooden box. Sitting just off the floor, but not near any chemicals or water.

Would that I had a chrono, I could load up a few and see if the velocities are consistent. Well, minor detail, but also lacking a reloader now, as it's in hands that will use it frequently.

I am sure anyone that reloads simple practice ammo would love to have them. Pretty sure I have never had a primer that didn't work, and I have loaded some old ones. Maybe they are made with the same preservatives as Twinkies.

Worst case scenario, they just don't work. They're not dangerous. Just sell them with full disclosure and move on. If people knew the horrible conditions ammo is stored in around the world, they wouldn't worry so much.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List