Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reactive vs Predictive shooting

Reactive vs Predictive shooting

For many years, there was a focus on "reactive" shooting, with many books and methods having reactive in their name. From what I am observing, the next frontier is extending predictive shooting to nearly every target in the match, including many transitions.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For many years, there was a focus on "reactive" shooting, with many books and methods having reactive in their name. From what I am observing, the next frontier is extending predictive shooting to nearly every target in the match, including many transitions.
    Most of my work lately has been in that area.

Site Supporter
    Would you mind elaborating on “predictive”?

In this context, does it mean “initiating the shot when the dot approaches the target, rather than when the dot is on the target”?

Or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post

In this context, does it mean “initiating the shot when the dot approaches the target, rather than when the dot is on the target”?

Or something else?
    It essentially means firing a pair, where the second shot is fired instantly relying on your developed index, grip and stance rather than reacting to the dot. Fully developed, your transitions can become predictive as well.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post

Or something else?
    An intro to predictive shooting is the doubles drill. It is like the old double tap but not missing with the second round like so many people do.

Site Supporter
    There are real applications.

Here’s some OIS video with both reactive and predictive shooting in real life.

It essentially means firing a pair, where the second shot is fired instantly relying on your developed index, grip and stance rather than reacting to the dot. Fully developed, your transitions can become predictive as well.
    I shoot an indoor league in the winter with a number of old timers who do double taps on everything. Technically they are doing predictive shooting but since they never practice or actually learn anything they mostly are down 3 or miss on the second shot.

Hopefully someone can come around and articulate it better, but as I understand the concept from only watching the Ben's free stuff on YT and IG.

Reactive Shooting - The trigger press is a "reaction" (response) to the shooter visibly seeing and processing an acceptable sight picture. Acceptable sight picture (even if the dot is still a streak or front sight is still in motion), then trigger press.

Predictive Shooting - The trigger press is timed to happen when the shooter predicts (based on previous experience) the sight picture will become acceptable. Shooter gets on the trigger prior to acceptable sight picture, but is completed just as the acceptable sight picture occurs.
    David S.

Are you talking about what Jeff Cooper said, dividing the Double Tap into Controlled Pair and "Hammer?"
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    It essentially means firing a pair, where the second shot is fired instantly relying on your developed index, grip and stance rather than reacting to the dot.
    What's the difference between that and the old "hammer"?

User Tag List