Thread: Gel or Foam OC

Site Supporter

Gel or Foam OC

I wrote the proposal for OC spray at my former agency and ran the program until forced retirement a couple decades later. We stayed with cone-shaped (initially fog-type) spray the entire time. I felt the almost guaranteed first shot hit was worth cross-contamination.

I now work for a security organization that insists on OC gel because someone might complain. Anyone have lesson plans, doctrines or just advice on training officers with gel?

Thanks and be safe.

I am curious, what would the complaint be or do you mean overconcern with cross contamination on those not intended to get sprayed?

Site Supporter
    Overconcern about complaints from the uninvolved who might feel affected by OC.

Our county police went to gel several years ago. I haven't heard any opinions on it, but they also have a metric ton of Tasers out there which would be the less-lethal of choice.

When I was a reserve in the PD, the County we were in had several jail officers and one road deputy report the offender would quickly wipe the gel off their face and attempt to fling it back towards the officers. This is first hand retelling from reliable and honest personnel that are well trusted. I did not witness any of this, however.
    Pacem in corde meo, Mors de guns

When I went through his instructor class Chuck Haggard discussed that the only foam product on the market that works within a reasonable time frame is the Deftec stuff. Not sure if that's still the case. There's a technique I first heard of from Paul Sharp involving spraying OC directly into one's own palm and then smearing it directly in the face of a subject, which has an application for gel and foam.

Site Supporter
    Thanks, guys. Medic, a friend worked in a sheriff's office where he was issued gel which was somewhat better than foam at avoiding throwback. Nonetheless, I thing either delivery system has a greater risk of that than a streamer or cone.

K, Chuck mentioned the Deftac product to me on a forum as well. I have a lot of confidence in Sabre products, but even they don't endorse gel/foam for street use. I recommended cone or stream sprays months ago, but what do I know, having proposed and managed the OC program at my previous agency for nearly three decades?

I have read about the palm spray and wipe idea. That might have some validity.

Thanks and be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post

I have read about the palm spray and wipe idea. That might have some validity.
    With my luck, I’d do that and then get an itch on my face and wipe it in my own eyes.

Gel is great for a detention setting where you are worried about cross contamination.

It downright sucks for everything else.

Site Supporter
    I used to address gel/foam during OC recertification when I worked for the city. My opinion was (and is) that gel or foam should only be deployed in settings where moving people would be impractical or unsafe such as corrections, health care, and venues so packed with people that normal OC deployment might cause a crowd crush phenomenon. While we do have crowds, they are not so dense that crowd crush or stampede is likely an issue. I raised the issue with my chain of command, but got no traction. Unfortunately, we got what we got.

The county police went to gel several years ago, but when you have a metric ton of Tasers out there, there is less need for OC.

User Tag List