View Poll Results: Do you carry a pistol mounted RDS or do you carry with only irons?

Voters
234. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pistol mounted RDS

105 44.87%
  • Iron sights

129 55.13%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: RDS or Irons on your edc

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    What's going to happen is the same thing you saw with long guns. You take any 20 year old kid today and he won't want irons. Maybe you can convince him it's important to have them, but the red dot is the primary aiming system. I would wager within ten years, or possibly even five, nearly any mid/full size pistol worth considering will come standard with optics-ready configurations.
    I don't think so...

The new pistols will come ready to mount a RDS, and gunmakers are going to push for the optics-ready configurations out of the box for rea$on$, but most users are still going to stick to iron sights for a looong time. Even the ones who have the money to buy good MRDS, know how to shoot, practive often and are on top of any maintenance issues.

my "on my body 90% of the time" gun is a 365, carried AIWB. Just irons.

My duty belt "not worried about concealment" gun is a P320 Carry with RDS, carried on warrants or when i have my outer vest on any way.

Probably going to change my back up from a plain 365 to a 365XL with RDS soon. Then that will be my AIWB gun.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    We are already at the point where at least two companies offer configurations that come from the dealer with a red dot already installed. However, despite some common preferences in red dot sights, reading the red dot subforum reveals some differences. How many of you would recommend that a purchaser buy a gun with a red dot already installed instead of buying the gun in a configuration that accepts but does not include the red dot, and picking the red dot one really wants?

Irons, only because I have had the money to have them milled plus buying the dots. Lol

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    We are already at the point where at least two companies offer configurations that come from the dealer with a red dot already installed. However, despite some common preferences in red dot sights, reading the red dot subforum reveals some differences. How many of you would recommend that a purchaser buy a gun with a red dot already installed instead of buying the gun in a configuration that accepts but does not include the red dot, and picking the red dot one really wants?
    I think that all depends on the quality and characteristics of the included OEM dot.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    I don't think so...

The new pistols will come ready to mount a RDS, and gunmakers are going to push for the optics-ready configurations out of the box for rea$on$, but most users are still going to stick to iron sights for a looong time. Even the ones who have the money to buy good MRDS, know how to shoot, practive often and are on top of any maintenance issues.
    I dunno about that. Most noobs I have taken to the range “understand” red dots immediately, shoot better with them and want that in a gun they buy.

I'm in the process of "RDS-ing" many of the things and my carry is irons. One thing I don't like is having a gun down for any period of time, particularly a carry gun, so sending a slide off for milling is something I'm loathe to do. I need to buy a pre-milled slide or a backup optics ready gun.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I dunno about that. Most noobs I have taken to the range “understand” red dots immediately, shoot better with them and want that in a gun they buy.
    Yeah, but you're also talking about doubling the cost of their purchase.

I agree that most users (i.e. casual shooters) won't adopt RDSs. For ducks sake, just look at the number of AR15s out there that don't even have a rear sight....
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Yeah, but you're also talking about doubling the cost of their purchase.

I agree that most users won't adopt RDSs. For ducks sake, just look at the number of AR15s out there that don't even have a rear sight....
    I literally just posted this:

Name:  B18F9BE5-049E-4B89-B613-01F3E0BFE139.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  71.3 KB

There are now $400 dot equipped pistols…

These are the people that don’t shoot a lot. They don’t care about getting an acro.

User Tag List