View Poll Results: Do you carry a pistol mounted RDS or do you carry with only irons?

Voters
234. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pistol mounted RDS

105 44.87%
  • Iron sights

129 55.13%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: RDS or Irons on your edc

Both. When I carry my revolvers which is often it is irons. Whe I carry my Glocks, they have green dots holosuns.

Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    I think you're more likely to get guns cut for a direct mill application from the factory before you get that. Like glock is doing with the direct milled acro, rmr, dpp, and holosun
    Yeah, you’re probably right. Seems backwards tho, like the tail wagging the dog. Like I said, probably a pipe dream to get all the manufacturers to standardize.

Site Supporter
    We do seem to have a standard footprint for the slim single stack pistols which everyone uses except Trijicon. That has probably cost them some sales, and I hope the next version of their RMRcc fits that footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    We do seem to have a standard footprint for the slim single stack pistols which everyone uses except Trijicon. That has probably cost them some sales, and I hope the next version of their RMRcc fits that footprint.
    Which one is that, the mounting footprint that the HS407/507K and Romeo Zero share? Or are there others?

Thx

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    Which one is that, the mounting footprint that the HS407/507K and Romeo Zero share? Or are there others?

Thx
    That is the footprint. The RMS Shield compact, Romeo Zero, and Holosun K footprint is the only one I know if in that size other than the RMRcc footprint.

Iron sights aren’t going away anytime soon. We still have gutter fixed sights on revolvers for example. I had a brief discussion with another instructor today who was a little down as his eyes were changing and he was only shooting top scores with an optic. Thank goodness we have the choice!
    As long as I can, I’ll shoot irons on occasion just to stay current, as I shoot revolvers once or twice a year- my choice.
    Most folks, however, will be just as well, if not better off, with irons. At least the battery won’t die on those. Someone mentioned it’s hard to get most to carry. Adding the complexity of optics won’t help with that.
    Cooper said something to the effect that enthusiasts will always perform better. They’ll put in the work, take care of their gear and strive to improve in some ways. An optic helps me perform better, so I will usually holster up with that.

RDS on my 365 and 365 SAS, mostly pocket carried in a Vedder Pocket Locker. At 63, my vision sucks and it's just plain hard to shoot irons anymore. I can shoot target focused passably with my USPc's with Trij HDs because I can pick up the big orange dot in my peripheral vision in decent lighting, but if it's anywhere near dark, not happening.

I think that the average Joe that wants a gun for self/home defense wants easy, just like the average Joe taking pictures wants point and shoot, not fiddling around with big fancy lenses on an SLR (if those are still a thing). I think an RDS is easier to use than irons but someone without shitty vision might not. Someone needs to come up with an iphone sized RDS, but then idjits would shoot themselves taking selfies.

My old eyes are forcing me into having to switch to RDS, as irons are getting too blurry.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

My EDC is a G48 MOS w/ a 507k. I’m converting everything over to RDS. I just can’t focus on the front sight anymore, even with glasses and I’m right handed but strongly left eye dominant which is really causing a lot of problems lately too. After a long session, the front sight just disappears on me. The only other gun I carry periodically is an iron sighted G43 w/ a 10-8 Performance fiber optic front sight. I’m at the point where I’m likely to sell off some iron sighted guns to make some room and $ for MOS models. Although I will likely send my G17 Gen 3 of for milling.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Things like this (yikes! shame on S&W) will be a "game changer"... until they find out that cheap is not the way to go with RDS, that's why I mentioned rea$on$.

The New and Improved will always conquer the american market, provided it is reasonably affordable.

The rest of the world? Don't think it will be that easy, there is a reason why we all drive stick shift cars outside the US and don't feel the least handicapped by this.
    S&W owns Crimson Trace so you’re unlikely to see anything better as OEM on S&W guns.

User Tag List