Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting BUIS design I saw at SHOT

Interesting BUIS design I saw at SHOT

My favorite part of SHOT is looking at the smaller companies. I rn across a company that makes drop in back up sights that looks interesting/promising. The company is named X Nihilo.

The sights fit onto the RDS and share a mounting screw with the RDS.

Name:  IMG_1368(1).jpg
Views: 518
Size:  23.6 KB

I just saw that as well. My first reaction was that is really neat, but my second reaction was oh boy new screws!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    ...The sights fit onto the RDS and share a mounting screw with the RDS.
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    ...My first reaction was that is really neat, but my second reaction was oh boy new screws!
    My first reaction is: more ways for the screws to work loose or stress fracture.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I have to say, that was my thought as well. I like the idea though. I hope they get the execution right. The folks at the booth were super nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My first reaction is: more ways for the screws to work loose or stress fracture.
    Yep, I wouldn't be an early adopter on this.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

On the other hand, I really like the low BUIS. Paired with a ~OEM height front, it might produce the "center of window" POI that I prefer for my BUIS.

But, as we know using the BUIS to "acquire the dot faster" isn't faster.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Depending on design its also a possible additional shifting point for the RDS to loose its zero over time. Just a thought but it gives me pause.

Didn't PMM do a similar drop in unit that used the drain holes as a mount point?
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Didn't PMM do a similar drop in unit that used the drain holes as a mount point?
    Yes... Their idea first.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Yes... Their idea first.
    And it works very well, in my experience. I have one installed on a Trijicon RMRcc (I believe it was originally designed for the RMR, but it works perfectly on the "cc" model, too).

The RMRcc with the affixed BUIS is installed on a CZ P10S and paired with a matching front sight from CZ Custom, who also milled the slide and installed the optic. It's a pistol I carry quite frequently and about the minimum size pistol I feel I can shoot well enough to carry for self defense. After acquiring the pistol, I got out of the Glock G43 and G26 business.

I really wonder why more optic manufacturers don't team up with someone in the sight business for set-ups like this PMM IDRS (Independent Drop-In Rear Sight). So far, it has proven to be robust and provide a clear BU sight picture for the CZ P10s. If I were to install an RMR or RMRcc on another pistol in the future, I would almost certainly set it up with PMM IRDS.

User Tag List