Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Optics in 2023

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    I’m sitting here with a virtual cup of coffee asking if you’ll “change my mind”.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    The RMR is still a great optic that has a lot going for it. It’s also probably the most common/easily accessed common optic with a larger dot. I was a fan of the larger dot for a while and an RM02 6.5MOA dot is what I “started with” (not counting the Tasco Optima 2000) back in 2017.

I saw just a couple days ago on another forum someone asking what dot size to get and a bunch of people answering with their opinion. As Pat Rogers would say, that’s Clownshoes.

Everyone’s eyes are different. Giving your opinion to someone based on your eyes who doesn’t have your eyes is like telling someone who to be attracted to. It’s ignorant.

We can talk about what we’ve heard and what we’ve experienced to try to give people perspective, but I try to avoid saying “you need a big dot” or “you need a small dot”, especially for things like precision, speed, or distance. Those are constants. 10 yards is always 10 yards. A .20 split is what it is unless you’re so damn fast you go back in time.

Ultimately it’s what the individual prefers with their own vision. I had large dots for years. It got to the point they went on guns I didn’t shoot much... then a sims gun... then got traded. That’s not anyone but me, and my eyesight is messed up enough that I wouldn’t encourage anyone to make a decision based on what I prefer.

Okay since you prefaced this with a “change my mind” I’ll try. I pretty much agree with what you said about the different optics so it’s not much of a dissent.

But to address the dot size recommendations…

I think that it’s okay to make dot size recommendations based on the assumption that people have not fucked up vision and to say “if you have fucked up vision this may not apply to you.”

Just like normal visual standards of beauty would have a different emphasis to someone who couldn’t see... but for most seeing folks there are some general trends of beauty with symmetry, etc.

Small dots sometimes don’t get bright enough depending on the manufacturer and can be hard to pick out dynamically in bright sunlight. So for pure action, small may be a detriment.

Similarly, the larger / closer the target the more advantage a larger reticle has. Like for 10 yards and in, a 32 MOA works great for super rapid acquisition and makes a small window into a virtual larger window as you can track with the center dot off the window by virtue of the 32 MOA ring.

So everything is a compromise. Out to 50 yard A zones I’ll still prefer 5-7 MOA for the compromise. And use the top of the dot (or bottom of the dot depending on the ammo ballistics) at distance for precision.

But with the caveat that non-seeing people might have a different experience.

Okay, not really earth shattering since I pretty much agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The EPS/EPS Carry offers so many potential advantages that I am interested in getting feedback from as many as possible to see how they are holding up in terms of durability, how long the battery last and generally are they working well.
    My EPS carry has some of the worst parallax out of any of my optics. So I’m hoping I got a bad one… but that’s something I’m going to pay closer attention to in the future.

The EPS/EPS Carry offers so many potential advantages that I am interested in getting feedback from as many as possible to see how they are holding up in terms of durability, how long the battery last and generally are they working well.
    Out of the two carry models, (one MRS and one 2 MOA, as well as one full-size MRS model) I am liking mine. Round count is still really low but no parallax issue in mine and the dots are more crisp than the 407/507K's I have and have had. The window stays noticeably cleaner and is piece of cake to wipe clear.

Mine are on original battery. My oldest one is only about 1 1/2 months or so maybe a bit older. Batteries were shipped in optic which so the fact they are still going makes me hopeful they'll last. The solar works as advertised, auto cut off as well and the optic snaps on immediately. I'm not crazy about the auto brightness adjustment as it doesn't feel bright enough but it does ramp up and down rather quickly. The foot print is really great and does not cause printing any more than a 407/507K model in snug clothing. So far I am very happy. I hope that the competition model is as good, at this point I find myself wanting one and have been happy with the first full of holosuns I have had.

Won't be able to help a lot there. My EPS Carry is on my NPE/work gun that doesn't get a lot of rounds through it. (365XL) I try to shoot it first every session but only a limited amount. Since putting the EPS carry on I have took it out 3 times for a whopping total of 106 rounds. So far though, I really like it. When I end up putting a full size EPS on something, it should get more of a workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    The Lucid E7 and the C&H “Duty” appear to be the exact same externally (except for branding), and Lucid sources from China.
    Both also have a remarkable similarity to the Swampfox “Kraken”, though that item has some external styling differences.
    The industry is springing up. Add Cyelee BEAR to the list of Kraken clones.

Reminds me how everyone in Spain and China copied Mauser C96 in 1920s, and then copied each other.

But we have the Internet now. If someone's locking lugs are soft, we'll know very quickly.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar

A new option in March 2023

Just a heads up, a new compact option will appear...
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    What footprint?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    What footprint?

Shield RMS
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    Hopefully the first letter starts with A

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Hopefully the first letter starts with A
    I'll take any decent option not made in China.

Brand new EPS Carry MRS Red shake awake is in-op. Shuts off after 10 minutes of no movement then I have to press a button to turn it back on. This is right out of the box. All I did was change the battery to a Duracell. Called Holosun they walked me through a reset procedure and 10 minutes after we hung up I had to press a button to turn it on. Finally just shut the shake awake off and haven’t had any issues but going to send it back to Holosun. Not that big a deal I can just put my 507K back on but still very disappointing.

User Tag List