Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Over The Air DVRs

RFI: Over The Air DVRs

After six months in the rental with cable TV, I’ve realized all we do is watch local and national broadcast news and stream other services. The kicker is that I time shift the news programs, currently using the TiVo box that the cable company provides.

At the new place I’m considering skipping cable TV, putting up an OTA antenna and a personally owned DVR and just streaming the rest of our content. There seem to be quite a few of these devices available, some with internal storage and others with provisions for flash storage. I think I noticed that some can put content to multiple TVs on your Wi-Fi.

Does anyone have any experience with these that can offer advice?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Step 1: OTA powered antenna arrived today. I need to do some wiring at the house to try it upstairs, but I’ll plug it into the TV first in the living room so I have a signal baseline.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    After six months in the rental with cable TV, I’ve realized all we do is watch local and national broadcast news and stream other services. The kicker is that I time shift the news programs, currently using the TiVo box that the cable company provides.

At the new place I’m considering skipping cable TV, putting up an OTA antenna and a personally owned DVR and just streaming the rest of our content. There seem to be quite a few of these devices available, some with internal storage and others with provisions for flash storage. I think I noticed that some can put content to multiple TVs on your Wi-Fi.

Does anyone have any experience with these that can offer advice?
    I did this almost 3 yrs ago. We use the Tablo and it's been ok except periodically it needs to be reset.

https://www.tablotv.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I did this almost 3 yrs ago. We use the Tablo and it's been ok except periodically it needs to be reset.

https://www.tablotv.com/
    That’s one of the ones I was reading about. Is yours a network one or the type that is connected to one TV? The network one without a remote is the one that interests me.

Do you have the subscription?
    Ken

That’s one of the ones I was reading about. Is yours a network one or the type that is connected to one TV? The network one without a remote is the one that interests me.

Do you have the subscription?
    Yes, we have the Quad model and it runs through the wifi so we can watch on mutliple tv's. We use it in conjunction with Roku boxes because I had to install the app.

I do have the basic annual subscription but they also have an extra option for commercial skip that costs more. I don't use it. I also had to purchase a hard drive to install because my model didn't come with one so I picked 500GB and it just goes right into the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Yes, we have the Quad model and it runs through the wifi so we can watch on mutliple tv's. We use it in conjunction with Roku boxes because I had to install the app.

I do have the basic annual subscription but they also have an extra option for commercial skip that costs more. I don't use it. I also had to purchase a hard drive to install because my model didn't come with one so I picked 500GB and it just goes right into the box.
    I was pretty well set in getting that one, I think I’ll jump. I’m hoping I can plug it right into the upstairs Eero mesh repeater and have it go everywhere.

The TV portion of cable is almost $100 a month. This is a no-brainer.

Thanks!
    Ken

I was pretty well set in getting that one, I think I’ll jump. I’m hoping I can plug it right into the upstairs Eero mesh repeater and have it go everywhere.

The TV portion of cable is almost $100 a month. This is a no-brainer.

Thanks!
    There are many options out there these days and it seems to be a growing community...good luck!

@HeavyDuty what OTA antenna did you get?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Years ago I purchased an OTA TV antenna. First thing I noticed was the picture quality was significantly better than Cable. I got all the local channels, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS and a bunch of other channels. Obviously reception is based on location and proximity to transmitters. Shortly thereafter I was on the phone with the Cable co. and then in the car returning their cable box. I was done with them!

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    @HeavyDuty what OTA antenna did you get?
    Just a cheap one off Amazon that gets good reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H1KQ3SH

I’m hoping to hook it up this weekend.
    Ken

User Tag List