Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun performance comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I also think that above a certain performance threshold of shooter and gun, more probably doesn’t change the outcome of a gunfight in 99.9% of situations.
    I think as enthusiasts we like comparing and hashing these details out over and over and over especially when a new gun or the latest widget comes out but the above statement rings true.

Totally agree with the first part with the added wrinkle of: train more if you can’t meet a minimum standard

But we know that’s tough to implement, we can’t even get that happening for LEO.

I also think that above a certain performance threshold of shooter and gun, more probably doesn’t change the outcome of a gunfight in 99.9% of situations.

The second part I don’t think is useful because it’s training for average and a higher standard gives more options and better hits. For an average scenario, a 22LR single shot revolver would suffice but we don’t want to train to that standard.

I did a combatives class with handguns and it was very clear how increased skills improved options. Guns don’t solve all problems though, of course.

So I think better is better but diminishing returns.

Doing something like the SWYNTS drill will matter more than the particular gun you carry.
    Yeah, the second part is just an outside the box thought.. I’m not sure a perfect measurement exists. I’ll review the SWYNTS drill.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    I think as enthusiasts we like comparing and hashing these details out over and over and over especially when a new gun or the latest widget comes out but the above statement rings true.
    The key is to be able to run whatever gun you have with unconscious competence, so you can focus on the tactical or competition problem rather than consciously trying to make the gun work.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The key is to be able to run whatever gun you have with unconscious competence, so you can focus on the tactical or competition problem rather than consciously trying to make the gun work.
    Totally agree and could not have said it any better!

When I'm comparing my performance with firearms I really like this test:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....re-Skills-Test

For me it puts the right emphasis on balancing shootabilty with gunhandling (the proportion of draws and reloads seems really sane to me). Easier to run tests like the FAST wind up being pretty disproportionate.

Its barrier to use is the fact that it needs to be done cold, which can really space out (and alter) the results if you don't get to shoot too often.

The last time I used it, I was able to conclude that I shot the Gen4 G17 as well as a .45 LWC, which is pretty earthshattering for me, and was borne out by further experience.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    When I'm comparing my performance with firearms I really like this test:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....re-Skills-Test

For me it puts the right emphasis on balancing shootabilty with gunhandling (the proportion of draws and reloads seems really sane to me). Easier to run tests like the FAST wind up being pretty disproportionate.

Its barrier to use is the fact that it needs to be done cold, which can really space out (and alter) the results if you don't get to shoot too often.

The last time I used it, I was able to conclude that I shot the Gen4 G17 as well as a .45 LWC, which is pretty earthshattering for me, and was borne out by further experience.
    I like the 10 round Bakersfield for simplicity, low round count and also less weight to the long range target accuracy / time.

It’s also something that is vetted in actual PD use which has a strong practical validation.

I like the 10 round Bakersfield for simplicity, low round count and also less weight to the long range target accuracy / time.

It’s also something that is vetted in actual PD use which has a strong practical validation.
    I like lots of 10 round tests but they either have to dump the reload (which doesn't make me cry) or disproportionally weight it.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I like lots of 10 round tests but they either have to dump the reload (which doesn't make me cry) or disproportionally weight it.
    Have you shot the Bakersfield? It only has one reload and the time parameter is generous enough that I can do it with a revolver.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....sfield-PD-qual

Have you shot the Bakersfield? It only has one reload and the time parameter is generous enough that I can do it with a revolver.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....sfield-PD-qual
    I don't consider any but the 20 yarder generous! Which I recently met with a G43 from concealment. The shorter ones were a bit over time with it though. It's an awesome 10 round validation.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I don't consider any but the 20 yarder generous! Which I recently met with a G43 from concealment. The shorter ones were a bit over time with it though. It's an awesome 10 round validation.
    Here’s with a snub with pocket draw using the 7” primary scoring zone.

Couldn’t do a Hundo because of the reload string but still “passed” their qual.

FTFs turned out to be a bullet shape interfering with the cylinder step.

User Tag List