Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why I Swore Off Pocket Clips

Site Supporter
    I have hooked knife pocket clips on clothes, chairs, seatbelts, scratched car finishes, and even broke one the first week I had a brand new Delica on the arm of a chair. So annoying. And they wear pocket edges. But they are so darn handy, I want to keep using them anyway.

That being said, I usually do carry my Sage 1 and Sage 2 (and sometimes Dragonfly) using the Spyderco wire low profile pocket clip. They get caught less than any knife pocket clip I’ve ever used, and cause less wear on clothes, too.

My small SAK is carried loose in the pocket (Executive, often in the watch pocket, but usually under my front pocket wallet). My large SAK is carried in a belt pouch, as is my Knipex pliers (when I carry them). If I carry an additional traditional slip joint, it’s carried loose or in a pocket slip.

Flashlight: Surefire 6P with a Thyrm Switchback, left front pocket next to the pocket seam. It doesn’t seem to tear up pockets or get hooked on things. Draws to a left hand ice pick grip smoothly, which is how I usually employ it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Attachment 100328

The main reason I went back to pocket clips.
    Being able to do this is amazingly handy!

I don't use my main light for this purpose, but rather the E1 Inspector HF. Its triple LED head produces a wide, even beam (no glaring hot spot), is 3.3" AOL and weighs only 2.6 ounces with a CR123. It stays put on the hat thanks to its light weight and heavy duty clip;

The Malkoff 2-way clip works well for pocket carry as well, though like my fight light this one rides in the bottom of my other front pocket.

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Site Supporter
    I've had the clip snags and found Surefire clips prone to breaking has did Spydercos. I also found Surefire was bitchy about supplying replacements. I asked to buy a set of 5 and NOOOO! With the knifes, a solution I found was to get the stainless clips as they were much sturdier than the black ones.

Haven't been busted by anyone for the flashlight. Lots of clip knives around here. Not a big deal. Does it mark me as shoot first? That would be hard to detect in real time, I would think.

Site Supporter
    The photo below shows how I carry my light any time I am carrying my gun IWB.

The pouch is from this maker:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2575581...search_click=1

The maker is excellent to deal with, and I highly recommend both the maker and the pouch, with the following caveat. I strongly encourage asking the maker to make the pouch so that it does not extend below the end of the Tek-Lock, so that the pouch is as you see it on my belt. Otherwise, the standard pouch is too long, and will extend too far below the belt.

When I want the light, I can simply reach down, and make a fist around the light. When it comes out of the pouch, it is positioned for use.

With the exception of some clips (but not all) from Malkoff Devices, I have not found clips on lights to be well-designed or particularly useful. If I am carrying the light in a pocket, it is loose in the pocket.

I have found knife clips to be much better designed and much more useful. As I type this, I am carrying two Cold Steel Storm Cloud knives: one clipped to my right front pocket, and the other clipped to my left front pocket. Either hand has access to a knife that can be thumb-opened or pocket-opened.

I have carried knives with visible clips in several different states, in both urban and rural areas, without issue. Pocket clip knives are common around here. Several years ago, I was carrying a Bram Frank LLC on a daily basis. This knife has a shiny spoon-shaped clip that positions a large portion of the knife above the pocket. It is as discreet as a fart in church, but I never had any issues carrying it. In fact, I once had someone offer me a cutting instrument while it was in my pocket.

I have had one knife fall out of my pocket while clipped to the top, and have lost one knife that was carried loose in a pocket. I consider loose in the pocket to be more loss-prone than using the clip.

When I use Spyderco knives, I usually replace the clips with those from MXGGear.

https://mxggear.com/collections/spyd...derco-delica-4

https://mxggear.com/collections/spyd...derco-knife-10

For both style clips, I order them with the black powder coating. Unlike paint, it does not chip and/or flake off. I usually wear dark colored pants, making the black clips less visible. The deep carry clips work well with dress slacks, while the conventional clips work well with jeans. These clips are much less snag-prone than the factory Spyderco clips. If I am going to a place where carrying a knife might be disfavored, I use Waved Delicas with these clips for increased discretion.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I've had the clip snags and found Surefire clips prone to breaking has did Spydercos. I also found Surefire was bitchy about supplying replacements. I asked to buy a set of 5 and NOOOO! With the knifes, a solution I found was to get the stainless clips as they were much sturdier than the black ones.

Can relate. Recently lost a clip from a new Fenix PD25R. Light was less than a month old. I emailed back and forth with Fenix, eventually followed up with a call, and after a lengthy wait I was told that I needed to talk to another branch of Fenix. Called that branch (sounded like an offshore customer service farm) and offered to buy 3 extra clips. The CS agent advised that in addition to the price of the clips ($5 each I think), shipping would be $12. I balked, and the agent said he'd ask the supervisor if shipping could be waived. He emailed me later and said they'd waive shipping, but I needed to go online and set up an account. At that stage I said "enough" and vowed never to buy another Fenix product. I like their lights, but I won't enable that level of customer service BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Can relate. Recently lost a clip from a new Fenix PD25R. Light was less than a month old. I emailed back and forth with Fenix, eventually followed up with a call, and after a lengthy wait I was told that I needed to talk to another branch of Fenix. Called that branch (sounded like an offshore customer service farm) and offered to buy 3 extra clips. The CS agent advised that in addition to the price of the clips ($5 each I think), shipping would be $12. I balked, and the agent said he'd ask the supervisor if shipping could be waived. He emailed me later and said they'd waive shipping, but I needed to go online and set up an account. At that stage I said "enough" and vowed never to buy another Fenix product. I like their lights, but I won't enable that level of customer service BS.
    Update: Fenix had a change of heart and apparently they're sending me three complimentary pocket clips. Apologies for the the thread drift, but hey, this is P-F. Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Being able to do this is amazingly handy!

I don't use my main light for this purpose, but rather the E1 Inspector HF. Its triple LED head produces a wide, even beam (no glaring hot spot), is 3.3" AOL and weighs only 2.6 ounces with a CR123. It stays put on the hat thanks to its light weight and heavy duty clip;

The Malkoff 2-way clip works well for pocket carry as well, though like my fight light this one rides in the bottom of my other front pocket.

I’ve just started doing this, incredibly handy.

I have not sworn off pocket clips, but have had problems with catching them on stuff and bending them.

I recently purchased an EDC Lightbuilder 18350 body for my Malkoff BG2 head. It is an excellent upgrade from the 16340 Malkoff body for several reasons: significantly more battery life with minimally more size, better texture, deeper carry clip, lanyard ring, and a much more robust and functional button. I have snagged the button off the Malkoff body twice because it’s held in by just an O-ring. The new body uses a screw-down ring.

Unfortunately, on its first trip out I snagged and bent the clip.

@NH Shooter sent me a new clip and the tool, which was super simple to use. I’m fact, it’s easy to repair the clip by bending it back and reinstalling.

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

If I were going to forego using the clip as intended I would put a ring in it and attach a lanyard. The only sure way not to lose a knife or a light. But then you would look like Canadian Mounty or a 1%er. Nobody wants that look, no even me. Might be retro/hip though in some circles.

Tooled leather suspenders are a hot item these days I guess. I found that out according to a young woman a few weeks ago. Had no idea. I've been wearing them for 10 years. Crazy weird.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-20-2023 at 09:09 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

@Clusterfrack I'm glad to hear the repair was a success!

Another point about the way the boot is held in place on the E2T tailcap with the retaining ring: you may have noticed that the medium-press boot I use has to be tucked into the tailcap, so the retaining ring compresses the lip of the boot and forms a 100% water tight seal. I conduct an IPX-7 water test on the lights, dropping the light into a 40-inch piece of PVC pipe filled with water, leaving it in there for at least 30 minutes. The EDCLB lights using the LF bodies and the modified E2T tailcap easily pass this test.

As you noted, with the Malkoff MDC bodies the boot is held in place with just an O-ring. Not only is the boot easy to pull out by grabbing it with the finger tips, but I sincerely doubt it's water tight. I believe the solution to this is to use automotive weather strip adhesive applied under the boot to seal it and prevent it from being easily dislodged. I'm going to give this a try and conduct the IPX-7 test.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

User Tag List