Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why I Swore Off Pocket Clips

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Fast and easy access to EDC tools is obviously a major benefit. If the tool is difficult to access, its utility for everyday tasks is greatly diminished.

Pocket clips are a popular means of keeping EDC items such as flashlights and knives within easy reach. With the clip these items can be carried (mostly) concealed yet remain consistently stationed in a quickly accessible location.

So what’s not to like about pocket clips?

Over the years of using pocket clips, I have discovered their drawbacks. Here are the primary reasons I no longer use them;

- Prone to becoming dislodged. Though most items can be held reasonably secure while clipped to the inside of a pocket, those items are not entirely secure. Though I have never lost an item using a pocket clip, I have had them hit the ground if the clip snagged on something. I’ve found this especially true with short items, such as a single-cell EDC flashlight. This is largely avoided with the longer 2-cell lights.

- Snagging and bent clips. This is actually a fairly common issue - snag the clip on a car door or some other object and mangle the clip. I had this happen with a Surefire E-series light and the clip had to be replaced.

- Snagging and property damage. Though not a concern for most, I made the unfortunate discovery that a pocket clip can scratch the finish of my car if I’m not careful. Simply brushing the side of the car in a tight space with the exposed clip can leave deep scratches that don’t “buff out.”

- Not entirely concealed. To those observers “in the know” an exposed pocket clip is a telltale sign of the “EDC culture.” They will naturally wonder what other “EDC items” this individual may be carrying concealed, including weapons. I’ve had this happen to me, which is why I prefer to keep all of my "EDC stuff" fully concealed.

- Gets in the way of a consistent grip. When I grab a flashlight with an icepick grip, not having a clip in the way makes a comfortable and secure grip quick to acquire. Now when I handle a light with a pocket clip, I find myself rotating the light in my hand until the clip is out of the way.

- No grip rings. True, not many are fans of the cigar grip or the Rogers-Surefire technique, but for those who are (me included) a pocket clip is mostly incompatible with a full size grip ring.
    Amen to all of that, and adding the clips tear up clothing and scratch cars if you lean on them. I am simply not a fan and have been much happier just pocketing most gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Think I just answered my own question.

I need this tailcap:
    https://www.edclightbuilder.com/stor...oop-p518674538
    Does the light have a low/high gas pedal function? If so, you'll lose that function with a tailcap change.

You can also attach a lanyard with an O-ring, which works surprisingly well.

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Concur 100% re visible clips, particularly as the quality of overall dress goes up. ie clip and dirty carharts may equal worker dude, clip with nice khakis wearing keens/Salomon/Merrill’s etc shoes-EDC dude. Visible clip in a jacket and tie- my radar is pinging re a “member” of the EDC community and that it entails given our location.

Guidelines only to be sure, but guidelines nevertheless.

Clips can often be really hard on lighter fabrics to include the majority wool fabrics often used in dress slacks and suit pants.
    Pocket knives or show off fixed blades not concealed are common where I live. I intentionally wear converse and jeans or flip flops/khaki shorts to blend in. Flip flops can be subbed often for the same converse. This way clips don't mean I'm carrying a gun and don't stand out. But it is eastern new mexico so I assume everyone has some type of weapon on them

Site Supporter
    Mid Thread drift

B91

You are a bigger man than me. Flip Flops are a hard no go for me unless I am in a shower or on a pool deck. Generally I like to be wearing a shoe I can run/kick in.

2 strap Birkenstocks are at the very edge for me.

YMMV greatly

PS- Edited to add quote:

"But it is eastern new mexico so I assume everyone has some type of weapon on them"

This is why the signal to noise ratio here is still quite low- real time, on the ground insight from folks in the know.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Does the light have a low/high gas pedal function? If so, you'll lose that function with a tailcap change.

You can also attach a lanyard with an O-ring, which works surprisingly well.

I have the 1st click high, 2nd click low version. Will that be retained with this tailcap?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I have the 1st click high, 2nd click low version. Will that be retained with this tailcap?
    Yes!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Mid Thread drift

B91

You are a bigger man than me. Flip Flops are a hard no go for me unless I am in a shower or on a pool deck. Generally I like to be wearing a shoe I can run/kick in.

2 strap Birkenstocks are at the very edge for me.

YMMV greatly

PS- Edited to add quote:

"But it is eastern new mexico so I assume everyone has some type of weapon on them"

This is why the signal to noise ratio here is still quite low- real time, on the ground insight from folks in the know.
    Flip flops are a necessity sometimes. My feet have permanent ligament damage and arthritis from my time hiking on recons and patrols. So sometimes my feet swell and shoes are are uncomfortable. Sandles is what I should of said, can still move and it allows my feet to calm down

I leave the clips on lights but dont use them for the most part for normal carry. Ive lost, and fortunately found, my surefire e2e several times trying to carry it with the e2o long clip hooked on my belt. I gave up on that. I wear carhartt pants a lot, the left leg pocket is very good for carrying a light. A streamlight micro stream 1xAAA light has taken over for most daily use, it rides in the leg pocket well, or in the left front jeans pocket if not wearing carhartts, or in a vest pocket when I have one on. The clip works pretty well in 2 situations, one is getting up in the middle of the night to let the dog in or out, I clip a light on the collar of my t shirt I sleep in, theres not much of anywhere to clip on underwear and it wouldnt be as handy as the t shirt collar. I sometimes clip a light in the pocket of a heavy shirt to keep it ready and easy to reach if stepping out in the dark for a minute. You can also clip the light on the outside of the pocket and turn it on so you can be hands free and see to walk and do some things.

I tried cords on lights but didnt like them for normal carry or use. One for night time camp pee duty in bear country may be handy but otherwise, not so much for me. I tend to grab the g19 with lanyard for that camp night time pee duty, as Im usually not wearing much and cant drop the gun. The cord is useful for that.

I usually remove clips on knives, they are more of an irritation to me clipped on a pocket, they interfere with getting the hand in the pocket for other chores and snag on stuff. They really are irritating if worn on the gun pocket. The one knife I keep the clip on is a small CRKT m16 that I carry in the inside right leg pocket of carhartts. Its right at hand level when standing and very handy to reach, the knife opens one handed nicely, which was nice when working on ladders and such, and its not otherwise in the way of anything and doesnt seem to snag on things.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    While experience trumps opinion, I don't know that I'd consider this a universal truth. Pocket-clipped knives, multitools, etc are so commonplace, you're probably going to stand out more for NOT having something clipped in a pocket.

For my own self, I barely notice a pocket clip anymore unless it's on a person who wouldn't otherwise have something clipped to a pocket (someone in a suit, a woman, etc). Otherwise, they've been "normal" for over 20 years around here.

Chris
    While I largely agree, one the points that Mike Pannone made in his Covert Carry course that has stuck with me is that one pocket clip (knife) is normal. Two clips (knife + flashlight) screams gun.

Personally, when I am trying for the utmost discretion, I keep folding knives, small pocket flashlight, pepper spray, etc. in a Basic Pocket Mag Pouch from The Wilderness.

https://www.thewilderness.com/magazi...ag-pouch-bpmp/

OP, agree on damaging clips and clips damaging car finishes. My experience has been the same. I’m also a huge fan of the Duluth pants. Even their jeans have capable pockets.

Name:  20230118_202815.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  28.2 KB

The main reason I went back to pocket clips.

User Tag List