Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I Swore Off Pocket Clips

Why I Swore Off Pocket Clips

Fast and easy access to EDC tools is obviously a major benefit. If the tool is difficult to access, its utility for everyday tasks is greatly diminished.

Pocket clips are a popular means of keeping EDC items such as flashlights and knives within easy reach. With the clip these items can be carried (mostly) concealed yet remain consistently stationed in a quickly accessible location.

So what’s not to like about pocket clips?

Over the years of using pocket clips, I have discovered their drawbacks. Here are the primary reasons I no longer use them;

- Prone to becoming dislodged. Though most items can be held reasonably secure while clipped to the inside of a pocket, those items are not entirely secure. Though I have never lost an item using a pocket clip, I have had them hit the ground if the clip snagged on something. I’ve found this especially true with short items, such as a single-cell EDC flashlight. This is largely avoided with the longer 2-cell lights.

- Snagging and bent clips. This is actually a fairly common issue - snag the clip on a car door or some other object and mangle the clip. I had this happen with a Surefire E-series light and the clip had to be replaced.

- Snagging and property damage. Though not a concern for most, I made the unfortunate discovery that a pocket clip can scratch the finish of my car if I’m not careful. Simply brushing the side of the car in a tight space with the exposed clip can leave deep scratches that don’t “buff out.”

- Not entirely concealed. To those observers “in the know” an exposed pocket clip is a telltale sign of the “EDC culture.” They will naturally wonder what other “EDC items” this individual may be carrying concealed, including weapons. I’ve had this happen to me, which is why I prefer to keep all of my "EDC stuff" fully concealed.

- Gets in the way of a consistent grip. When I grab a flashlight with an icepick grip, not having a clip in the way makes a comfortable and secure grip quick to acquire. Now when I handle a light with a pocket clip, I find myself rotating the light in my hand until the clip is out of the way.

- No grip rings. True, not many are fans of the cigar grip or the Rogers-Surefire technique, but for those who are (me included) a pocket clip is mostly incompatible with a full size grip ring.

For these reasons, I’ve come to the conclusion that finding another way of keeping an EDC flashlight easily accessible is a mission worth embarking on.

Carry Alternatives to the Pocket Clip?

Since the light is already being carried in a pocket, all the pocket clip is truly doing is preventing the light from riding in the bottom of the pocket. If there’s not much else in that pocket (and assuming we’re not wearing skin-tight pants), I have not found this to be a major drawback. If it takes a second or two to grab the light and attain a good grip using a pocket clip, it only takes another second or two to pull the light from the bottom of the pocket.

A key consideration is that unlike a knife (or obviously a pistol) that gets drawn and displayed in public, it’s highly unlikely that we’ll be held legally accountable for doing the same with a flashlight. For this reason, a 1.5 second draw of the flashlight is probably not something to be concerned with. If it’s likely a flashlight could be needed (such as when venturing into dark spaces), there’s no downside to pulling it early and having it in-hand for if or when it’s needed.

My solution to pocket clip carry is deep pocket carry, sans any pocket clip at all. I simply drop the light into a pocket and let it ride at the bottom. Since I’m also an advocate of flashlight wrist lanyards, the lanyard also aids in drawing the light from the pocket. The keys to success with this method are (1) limit what is carried in the same pocket and (2) wear pants that have roomy pockets. Most jobsite workwear is suitable for this and does not scream Tactical Timmy like a pair of 5.11 pants. I’m personally a fan of the Duluth Foreman work pants.

The other alternative is to carry on the belt, but finding a suitable carrier or pouch for a specific light can be a challenge.

Below is my EDC “fight light” which rides comfortably in my Duluth Foreman work pants and can be extracted and put into action nearly as fast as using a pocket clip. Considering I avoid all of the pocket clip issues mentioned above, this remains my preferred carry method. This is what works for me, and as always YMMV.

Last edited by NH Shooter; 01-18-2023 at 07:53 AM.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

I use clips on knives a lot but to your broader point I've run into the same issues a few times with knives. Read a story years ago by a rancher guy where he considered pocket clipped gear, specifically knives dangerous for getting snagged on rigging and stuff around cattle.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    - Not entirely concealed. To those observers “in the know” an exposed pocket clip is a telltale sign of the “EDC culture.” They will naturally wonder what other “EDC items” this individual may be carrying concealed, including weapons. I’ve had this happen to me, which is why I prefer to keep all of my "EDC stuff" fully concealed.
    While experience trumps opinion, I don't know that I'd consider this a universal truth. Pocket-clipped knives, multitools, etc are so commonplace, you're probably going to stand out more for NOT having something clipped in a pocket.

For my own self, I barely notice a pocket clip anymore unless it's on a person who wouldn't otherwise have something clipped to a pocket (someone in a suit, a woman, etc). Otherwise, they've been "normal" for over 20 years around here.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Concur 100% re visible clips, particularly as the quality of overall dress goes up. ie clip and dirty carharts may equal worker dude, clip with nice khakis wearing keens/Salomon/Merrill’s etc shoes-EDC dude. Visible clip in a jacket and tie- my radar is pinging re a “member” of the EDC community and that it entails given our location.

Guidelines only to be sure, but guidelines nevertheless.

Clips can often be really hard on lighter fabrics to include the majority wool fabrics often used in dress slacks and suit pants.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I lost my Streamlight flashlight, I believe, due to having it clipped in my back pocket while working outside. I still do this with my more expensive Surefire Backup and worry about it. I can't seem to figure out how to keep a light in my left pocket with my cell phone, but I think I'll try it.

@NH Shooter
    What would I need to put your lanyard on my Backup MV?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Think I just answered my own question.

I need this tailcap:
    https://www.edclightbuilder.com/stor...oop-p518674538
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I only ever have a pocket knife/screw driver/bottle opener combo clipped on to my left side front pocket. I don't know how long I've been carrying something like that, maybe 15 years. In all that time the only problem I've had was the occasional clip putting holes in my Tshirt. Similar to how some iwb holsters do.

I'm not at all concerned about "people in the know". How many people walking around with 5.11 gear, cargo pants and hiking boots for a milk run, some type of tshirts with Grunt Style/9Line/BlueLine logo or catchy phrases that only gun people would understand? The guy who's always dressed like he's going on safari or a freelance cameraman from 1980s. There's a lot more than just a small metal clip that gives one away.

This isn't to say that the other stuff is wrong in any way.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    While experience trumps opinion, I don't know that I'd consider this a universal truth. Pocket-clipped knives, multitools, etc are so commonplace, you're probably going to stand out more for NOT having something clipped in a pocket.

For my own self, I barely notice a pocket clip anymore unless it's on a person who wouldn't otherwise have something clipped to a pocket (someone in a suit, a woman, etc). Otherwise, they've been "normal" for over 20 years around here.

Chris
    Right, depends where you are. Around my stomping grounds, an exposed pocket clip is a definite and small minority. As such, they draw undue attention. However, that's not the case everywhere. This can be quite dynamic during one's day. You may live in the country, and drive into town during the day - and in the process completely change the "what's normal" baseline in the process.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cosermann View Post
    Right, depends where you are. Around my stomping grounds, an exposed pocket clip is a definite and small minority. As such, they draw undue attention. However, that's not the case everywhere. This can be quite dynamic during one's day. You may live in the country, and drive into town during the day - and in the process completely change the "what's normal" baseline in the process.
    Very true. That said, I live in NoVA (near DC if you're not familiar). We tend to have a mix of upper middle class and working class types, more the former as you get closer to DC.

Chris

I did too. For the same reasons as well as grey man reasons.

For my lights I bought one of those cheap harbor freight o ring sets.

I leave clip on put in pocket and can reach in and grab it by O-Ring replace them when they break. I have only broken one in the past year.

Also great for retention while using

User Tag List