Thread: A New Style Hammer Kit For Smith & Wesson Revolvers

A New Style Hammer Kit For Smith & Wesson Revolvers

Name:  DSC_7925_0425.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  43.5 KB

I just received a new hammer kit for my S&W 617. It's designed for the K/L frame revolvers and there is another version for the N frame from RevUpAction.com. This kit allows for a smoother trigger pull than anything I've tried in the past and is amazing. I installed it last week and fired about 200 rounds to get a feel for the action.

I mounted the kit in my 4 inch gun and tested it against a standard, lightened trigger kit in my 6 inch gun. The RevUp has more poundage but feels better. It's easier to keep my sight on target throughout the pull and to me it feels more like shooting a 4 -5 pound DA auto.

With a 617 you need more hammer drop than with a centerfire revolver. I use a standard mainspring and a 12 pound rebound spring. The kit comes with 11, 12 and 13 pound springs. I found 11, which I use in all my other revolvers, to be too light in this kit. I wasn't able to get off the trigger fast enough and would lock up the action but the 12 pounder solved this problem. Ended up with about a 4 pound (Single Action). Not really SA but that's the trigger pull without the hammer installed, which is what the DA feels like at the end of the stroke. DA is actually 9 and a half pounds but is smoother and more consistent than my 6 inch with a 7 and a half pound DA.

This kit may not be for everyone but it is a drop-in kit that required no gunsmith. Just follow the instructions that come with the kit and you will be surprised at the results. I like it so much I ordered a second kit to replace what's in my 6 inch gun. I want the two to be the same so I can have a backup for competition.

Today I gave it a second try, firing another 200 rounds. I'm very pleased. Wish I still competed with centerfires but I'm too old and had to get rid of all those wonderful guns do to injuries. If you have a new style Smith revolver and want the bests DA pull without having to send your gun to a gunsmith you may want to try this kit. It's not inexpensive but when you add the price of shipping to a gun guru it's a great alternative.

Site Supporter
    That is highly interesting

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

This looks really cool, but is pretty expensive from my view. Especially since the Apex version is quite a bit cheaper. What is the major difference between the RevUpAction kit and the Apex kit?

Glad to see more options though.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

The Apex kit will give you a very light trigger pull. I averaged 4.5 pounds on my centerfire guns with the Apex kits. I've been using Randy's kits for probably 15 years and they are great.

The RevUpActionHammer Kit has a totally different feel to it. It's smooth throughout the pull and feels much lighter than the actual weight of the DA pull.

The biggest difference is how steady your sight remains while pulling the trigger. For me, there is hardly any movement with the RU kit.

Where I see the biggest difference is on my 617s. The Apex Mass Drive Hammer will ignite my primers at about 7.5 pounds double action. They advertise 6.5 pounds but I haven't been that lucky yet. The trigger is much lighter than the stock S&W trigger.

With my RevUp installed on my 617 my hammer fall is set at 46 ounces so that most of the 22 ammo I shoot will ignite. That calls for a 9 pound DA pull but it only feels smoother that the stock or modified Apex triggers. My sight stays on target better and my groups are tighter.

If you want the lightest trigger get the Apex Kit and you won't be disappointed. If you want something a little different that may give you better hits in the long run try the RevUp.

Thanks for sharing.

Here are some additional thoughts from revolverguy

https://revolverguy.com/revup-action-hammer/

I tested my 6 inch 617 this week and was amazed at the trigger pull. It's set high to be able to pop CCI Mini Mags, it works about 1 1/2 pounds less with my Remington Bucket Of Bullets but both pulls are smooth even though they are 10 + pounds and 9.5 pounds respectively.

My sight stays on target better and my groups have improved. Can't wait to go to a match with this setup. In the meanwhile I've been doing a lot of dry firing to get use to the new DA pull. I've done a few thousand dry fires so far.

I set up my 4 inch today with 58 ounces of hammer fall. I had a difficult time timing the springs so Protocol Design told me to bend my mainspring and that worked. This gun is pure stock compared to my well broken in 6 inch with over 100K rounds though it.

I'm going to try Federal 40 grain Champion to make sure they work. I've always had good luck with Federal ammo.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
    The Apex kit will give you a very light trigger pull. I averaged 4.5 pounds on my centerfire guns with the Apex kits. I've been using Randy's kits for probably 15 years and they are great.

The RevUpActionHammer Kit has a totally different feel to it. It's smooth throughout the pull and feels much lighter than the actual weight of the DA pull.

The biggest difference is how steady your sight remains while pulling the trigger. For me, there is hardly any movement with the RU kit.

Where I see the biggest difference is on my 617s. The Apex Mass Drive Hammer will ignite my primers at about 7.5 pounds double action. They advertise 6.5 pounds but I haven't been that lucky yet. The trigger is much lighter than the stock S&W trigger.

With my RevUp installed on my 617 my hammer fall is set at 46 ounces so that most of the 22 ammo I shoot will ignite. That calls for a 9 pound DA pull but it only feels smoother that the stock or modified Apex triggers. My sight stays on target better and my groups are tighter.

If you want the lightest trigger get the Apex Kit and you won't be disappointed. If you want something a little different that may give you better hits in the long run try the RevUp.
    Out of curiosity...for your apex kitted centerfires...are you using federal primers only?

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Out of curiosity...for your apex kitted centerfires...are you using federal primers only?

Yes, Federal primers work the best. I also crank them down when I put them in the cases. My match ammo I actuallly seat them twice by turning the case for the second seating.

User Tag List