Thread: 38 Short Colt in S&W model 36

38 Short Colt in S&W model 36

I was intrigued by the discussion here about loading 38 Short Colt so decided to load some and try it in a model 36. I had everything except brass so purchased some from Starline. I worked up a load using some powder that I use for 45 ACP and 9x19 loads. There isn't a lot of information about loading for 38 SC on the internet so I was winging it. I've done that before with good results with 45 ACP and 9x19. I was trying to find a load that made my model 36 fun to shoot with good accuracy. I have never used a chrono, although I have one, so it might be time to dig it out.

I started with 3 loads and two were a little hot. No signs of over pressure but the recoil was lively, about like factory 38 Spl. One load, listed below, was what I settled on.

Bullets
    125 LRN bullets
    https://bayoubullets.net/38-357-124-gr-rn/

Powder
    2.6 grns Alliant American Select
    Note
    That's a shotgun powder that works well in many pistol cartridges.
    Hodgdon has some load data for Titegroup and HP-38 powder using 93 grn bullets but I didn't test those.

Brass
    Starline 38 Short Colt

Primer
    CCI SP

Dies
    Sized with 38 Spl die
    Belled with 9x19 die
    Seated with 9x19 die
    Crimped with Lee FCD over the shoulder

As with any load development, always start low and work up.

Accuracy
    Minute of pie plate at 25 yds.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Which Lee FCD did you use? Sounds interesting.

The 38 Short Colt resurgence is awfully close to the old 9mm Federal Rimmed cartridge designed for the Canadians in the Quebec City PD, and Charter arms. Didn't Ruger also toy with this cartridge for a potential export sale that failed to materialize?
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

The 9mm Federal was faulty engineering because it could be readily chambered and fired in older top-break revolvers chambered for the .38 S&W cartridge and transformed them into grenades! When the cartridge came out I used a box of the ammo to blow up a couple dozen or so old evidence revolvers slated for destruction, boxed them up with fired brass in the chambers and shipped them off to Federal. The rest is history.

Many older pre-1980 S&W .38 Special and .357 revolvers have sloppy chambers which will accept modern Remington [R-P headstamp] .38 S&W brass and factory ammo. Other brands of .38 S&W brass and ammo are too fat to chamber.

The 135 Speer Gold Dot JHP bullet assembled in R-P .38 S&W brass with 3 grains of Bullseye and a standard primer produces standard-pressure .38 Special velocity, about 800 fps from a 2-inch gun, about the minimum for reliable bare gelatin expansion of this bullet.

A charge of 3.5 grains of Bullseye in .38 S&W brass approximates +P velocity at 900 fps from a 2" barrel, providing performance very much like the Speer Lawman .38 Special factory load. Absolutely NOT for use in Airweight frames!
    Last edited by Outpost75; 01-17-2023 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall View Post
    Which Lee FCD did you use? Sounds interesting.
    9x19.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The 9mm Federal was faulty engineering because it could be readily chambered and fired in older top-break revolvers chambered for the .38 S&W cartridge and transformed them into grenades! When the cartridge came out I used a box of the ammo to blow up a couple dozen or so old evidence revolvers slated for destruction, boxed them up with fired brass in the chambers and shipped them off to Federal. The rest is history.

Many older pre-1980 S&W .38 Special and .357 revolvers have sloppy chambers which will accept modern Remington [R-P headstamp] .38 S&W brass and factory ammo. Other brands of .38 S&W brass and ammo are too fat to chamber.

The 135 Speer Gold Dot JHP bullet assembled in R-P .38 S&W brass with 3 grains of Bullseye and a standard primer produces standard-pressure .38 Special velocity, about 800 fps from a 2-inch gun, about the minimum for reliable bare gelatin expansion of this bullet.

A charge of 3.5 grains of Bullseye in .38 S&W brass approximates +P velocity at 900 fps from a 2" barrel, providing performance very much like the Speer Lawman .38 Special factory load. Absolutely NOT for use in Airweight frames!
    Those loads would be interesting to try in post-war S&W Terrier and Regulation Police .38 S&W guns.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Those loads would be interesting to try in post-war S&W Terrier and Regulation Police .38 S&W guns.
    The 3 grain Bullseye load is fine. With the 3.5 grain load in my 1968 Terrier had to stretch crane arbor to correct end shake after 200 rounds. Doing so also increased B-C gap by 0.002". The 3.5 load is too hot for J-frame.

User Tag List