Thread: anyone mill wood 1911 grips?

anyone mill wood 1911 grips?

I have gathered a substantial quantity of exotic wood that I would like to make 1911 grips out of- maybe enough for 400 pairs of grips. I am looking for someone who can mill the scales for me. No checkering, engraving, etc- just plain smooth grips milled to spec. I will ship the wood, and finish the grips myself- sand stain, etc. I am trying to put together enough exhibition grade grips to put on special custom guns for sale, and also plan on keeping the very nicest for my own guns. The rest I will sell off in my store to recoup some of the cost. I have seriously considered just buying a cnc router and doing it myself but i have absolutely no experience whatsoever.
    If you or someone you know is interested in this kind of job let me know. And I do not have to do all at the same time- willing to send out smaller batches too.

Quote Originally Posted by LC Sports View Post
    I have gathered a substantial quantity of exotic wood that I would like to make 1911 grips out of- maybe enough for 400 pairs of grips. I am looking for someone who can mill the scales for me. No checkering, engraving, etc- just plain smooth grips milled to spec. I will ship the wood, and finish the grips myself- sand stain, etc. I am trying to put together enough exhibition grade grips to put on special custom guns for sale, and also plan on keeping the very nicest for my own guns. The rest I will sell off in my store to recoup some of the cost. I have seriously considered just buying a cnc router and doing it myself but i have absolutely no experience whatsoever.
    If you or someone you know is interested in this kind of job let me know. And I do not have to do all at the same time- willing to send out smaller batches too.
    FWIW, I'm a hobby woodworker and I've done a couple. It was easier than I thought - trace the outline of an existing one onto a flat blank, use a belt grinder to make the shape, then rasps and sandpaper to get the curve. The only part that wasn't handwork was the recessed part for the screws. I'm a hobby metalworker so I put and end mill in a mill, but I'd think a drill press wold work OK. I've never done checkering, but plain ones were a lot easier than I thought, and they came out looking like store bought.

User Tag List