Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top of the heap rimfire cans

Top of the heap rimfire cans

I view a rimfire can much differently than centerfire rifle cans. For centefire rifle cans, unless you're shooting subsonic ammo, it's still not "quiet." So, the factors become size, weight, and cost. For rimfire cans, however, they actually are quiet. With that understanding, I would rearrange my order of preference to:

1. Quiet (including FRP concerns)
    2. Light
    3. Short
    4. Price

I currently have one rimfire can, an AAC Element 2 that I purchased new back in 2013. I like it a lot. I don't shoot a lot of volume throught it. I treat it as a utility item for property pest elimination along with the occasional fun outing for the kids. I have multiple rimfire hosts and at this point am looking to purchase at least one additional rimfire can. In shopping it appears that nothing exceeds or even matches the Element 2 in terms of performance. Even Kevin's (who brought the Element 2 to market with AAC) Q El Camino is longer and heavier than the Element 2.

The closest thing seems to be the Mustang (certainly lighter than the Element 2), but I'm a little wary of the aluminum baffles.

What's the real deal?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    I have a couple Silencerco Warlock II cans, and they are wonderfully lightweight due to the aluminum baffles. The downside is that because they are aluminum, there is no easy way to clean them with the aid of a chemical solvent. So about once a year I will use a Dremel tool with a copper brush to get as much lead and carbon off as I feel like I can without damaging the baffles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I view a rimfire can much differently than centerfire rifle cans. For centefire rifle cans, unless you're shooting subsonic ammo, it's still not "quiet." So, the factors become size, weight, and cost. For rimfire cans, however, they actually are quiet. With that understanding, I would rearrange my order of preference to:

1. Quiet (including FRP concerns)
    2. Light
    3. Short
    4. Price

I currently have one rimfire can, an AAC Element 2 that I purchased new back in 2013. I like it a lot. I don't shoot a lot of volume throught it. I treat it as a utility item for property pest elimination along with the occasional fun outing for the kids. I have multiple rimfire hosts and at this point am looking to purchase at least one additional rimfire can. In shopping it appears that nothing exceeds or even matches the Element 2 in terms of performance. Even Kevin's (who brought the Element 2 to market with AAC) Q El Camino is longer and heavier than the Element 2.

The closest thing seems to be the Mustang (certainly lighter than the Element 2), but I'm a little wary of the aluminum baffles.

What's the real deal?
    I have a different set of criteria.

1. Quietness/Effectiveness
    2. Ease of maintenance
    3. Ruggedness

Weight almost never comes into play. On the end of a rifle especially a rimfire can will hardly be noticed at all. On a pistol, maybe, but really it's not bad at all. I have some of the heaviest rimfire cans out there and I have no problem with them on a pistol even and almost non existent on a rifle.

As far as ease of maintenance goes I want to be able to throw the baffles in a wet tumbler or whatever and not have to worry. This to me rules out aluminum baffles.

As far as 'ruggedness' goes I don't want to run the risk of getting the can banged on the side of a shooting bench or whatever and causing damage. This has nothing to do with actual shooting, but rather in my view protects my investment. Especially at night there is a risk of a ding or drop.

Some people do obsess about weight. I get it-- on a bigger rifle. In that kind of setup a heavy can along side an imbalanced firearm gets annoying really fast. But for rimfire this is hardly a concern in my view.

Hence my rimfire suppressors are an Optimus Micro from Griffin (they shot 60 rounds of 5.56 full auto through this can without causing damage) and a Rugged Occulus. Both are exceptional cans in my view. Neither of them win in the weight category though.

Edit: I should add that the longevity of the company and their willingness to support products is also a really big deal. Both of the companies I mentioned above are exceptional at both (in my experience).

Site Supporter
    https://www.silencershop.com/blog/po...22-suppressors

I’m biased towards the Dead Air Mask pending, but that’s just my opinion.

Light and quietest don’t necessarily go hand in hand unfortunately.
    God Bless,

Brandon

I’m also shopping around for a rimfire suppressor. I’ve been leaning towards the Energetic Nyx but I’m open to anything. I’m surprised this thread hasn’t gotten more traction.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I’m also shopping around for a rimfire suppressor. I’ve been leaning towards the Energetic Nyx but I’m open to anything. I’m surprised this thread hasn’t gotten more traction.
    I bought one of these, still in NFA jail.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/er...er-review/amp/

I like the modularity and weight.

I've got an Element 2 as well and like it.

I really like anything with stainless internals so I can throw the guts in the ultrasonic cleaner. Silencerco Sparrow is a decent can that meets my criteria.

I've had a very hard time telling the difference between different Rimfire cans of comparable size on similar hosts. I noticed different ammo types much more than the can.

My suggestion:
    Pick a Ti or SS+Ti can for ease of maintenance and low weight. Buy a pile of subsonic ammo. Enjoy.

I’m thinking a Dead Air Mask will be my third can.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

The DA Mask is definitely not light, but has no FRP, able to be cleaned with SS pins, or ultrasonic, and is quiet.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List