Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P 5.7

M&P 5.7

https://youtu.be/8-lyE22ekM8

That's unexpected. Is there something about 5.7 I don't know about that explains why it's competing with 10mm for being the new bandwagon companies are jumping on?

Official S&W video announcement.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/mp57

Looks like it uses a combo rotating barrel and gas system? Looks like it is more a gas delayed blowback than locked though.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    I don't know about that explains why it's competing with 10mm for being the new bandwagon companies are jumping on?
    Decades of the industry building a cult around low recoil and high capacity in its quest to de-throne 45 ACP in favor of 9x19mm. And we also stopped smacking ADHD kiddies with a ruler to keep them on task.

https://youtu.be/8-lyE22ekM8

That's unexpected. Is there something about 5.7 I don't know about that explains why it's competing with 10mm for being the new bandwagon companies are jumping on?
    5.7 is an incredibly fun round to shoot. Loud bang and flash, with low recoil - but enough recoil that it feels like a real gun. It's like if .357 Magnum and .22lr had a baby.

Trajectory is nearly flat out to 100yd (I shot a beer bottle at 80yd with my FsN) and accuracy is very good. When you factor in now the addition of Red Dot optics, that allow taking advantage of these characteristics, it's not too surprising the round is gaining ground.

5.7 is the champagne of pistol calibers. Luxurious and not for every day, but quite nice from time to time, moreso if you have the coin.

Embed of the video:

Pistol design wise, given the similarities in case diameter between 5.7 and 30SC, and how slim the new M&P5.7 is, I think the pistol could be adapted as a cool full size 21-22rd 30SC platform. Case pressures are also quite similar (50 vs 52kpsi max)

Looks like it uses a combo rotating barrel and gas system? Looks like it is more a gas delayed blowback than locked though.
    Nope, it's fully locked, just like AR-15 or M1 Garand. The action only starts moving once the bullet is past the gas port. However, this is an understanding based on the animation in the official announcement video. I don't understand just what prevents the whole action from recoiling with the bolt thrust. There must be one or two more lugs somewhere, missing from the animation.
    Last edited by zaitcev; 01-17-2023 at 12:26 PM.

Agree with Mando, Jeff Cooper's Embarrassing Question applies, what is it to be FOR?

I don't need (another) centerfire plinker. It doesn't fit a USPSA or IDPA match division.

So is it a PF Approved sidearm for defense and duty?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Agree with Mando, Jeff Cooper's Embarrassing Question applies, what is it to be FOR?

I don't need (another) centerfire plinker. It doesn't fit a USPSA or IDPA match division.

So is it a PF Approved sidearm for defense and duty?
    It looks like there’s a Gold Dot hollow point available now. Have there been any comparisons between it and 9mm Gold Dot/HST/etc?

Quote Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post
    It looks like there’s a Gold Dot hollow point available now. Have there been any comparisons between it and 9mm Gold Dot/HST/etc?
    I was going to say the gold dots are unobtaium but it looks like sgammo has it in stock, even in case-lot quantity.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/57x28...t-ammo-25728gd
    https://www.sgammo.com/product/57x28...t-ammo-25728gd

sidearm for defense and duty?
    Velocity out of a 5" pistol is too low to do Rifle Shit, so the gold dot is still basically a loud pistol round, isn't it? AFAIK you need hot-rodded red-box FN or handloaded equivalents to get soft-armor penetration. Disregarding the patchwork legality(?) I doubt Speer is going to sell gold dots on the open market if they defeat common soft armor used by their LE customers. Capacity is an argument, but if you put this next to a Glock with a + baseplate the overall size and capacity is similar.

It'll make money because people like loud flashy things. If there's a pragmatic Defensive Pistol angle I don't see it, and really haven't since FN tried this back in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    If there's a pragmatic Defensive Pistol angle I don't see it,
    It's an ideal caliber / pistol for those with recoil sensitivity. It's bordering on grandma level recoil.

Even a moderately trained shooter can place multiple rounds rapidly on target. And the flat trajectory makes it easy to shoot to 100yd off hand.

Power Factor recoil:

5.7 40gr SS197 @ 1750fps = 70pf
    .380 99gr HST @ 1000fps (Shield EZ) = 99pf
    30SC 100gr HST @ 1156fps (Shield Plus) = 115gpf

As an 'old man gun' granny defender, I think its a better choice than a full size .380.

It's also a fine 'kit gun' cartridge. 5.7 is 6.5g per cartridge vs 12.6g for 9x19, so it is 1/2 the weight. And the straightwall body allows the cartridges to be stacked very densely.

The result is a 50rd box of 5.7 weighs as much as 25rd 9mm, and fits into a small box not much larger then a box of .22lr. From memory (traveling) a box is about 3.25" x 1.6" x 2". You can easilly fit 100rd into the pocket of a cargo pant or jacket.
    Last edited by spyderco monkey; 01-17-2023 at 02:19 PM.

User Tag List