Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FLETC tips in 2023

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Prior to covid they were housing a significant number of non-basic students (advanced, follow-on, whatever) off campus due to being over capacity, and the requirement for basic classes to be on campus. So, if that's still a thing, there's a strong chance you'll be in a holiday inn express or whatever, and get bussed in. I personally didn't know a single agent who went back for follow on training that wasn't housed off campus.

You'll have to check your gun at the visitors center, as the entire campus is a training environment. You'll be randomly walking around and have a felony stop happen in front of you, or be doing your laundry and it happens to be "warrant night" for CITP. The people acting shady and taking pictures aren't terrorists...they're just students learning to do something new and forgetting to turn off the camera's flash on night surveillance.

It's a weird place, but it can be fun...especially if you're with a good group. It's not a bad place...I stayed in the much maligned "crack houses" and was perfectly comfortable. It's basically a community college with guns.

Stay out of the G-Bar unless you're looking to get entangled in some BOP bridgetroll FLETC love drama. Nothing good happens at the G-Bar. Avoid it at all costs.

Maybe your class is different, but the typical FLETC class provides virtually everything you need. Don't overthink it.
    All of this.

BTW - the check your gun in thing for advanced / in service LEOs finally changed about 10 years ago. Previously you checked your gun and didn’t see it again till you were departing for home. Now they assign you a locker at the gate house, you lock up your gun, keep the key and can take your gun anytime you are leaving the campus.

Let’s just say that change did not happen at random.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    All of this.

BTW - the check your gun in thing for advanced / in service LEOs finally changed about 10 years ago. Previously you checked your gun and didn’t see it again till you were departing for home. Now they assign you a locker at the gate house, you lock up your gun, keep the key and can take your gun anytime you are leaving the campus.

Let’s just say that change did not happen at random.
    Feds, yes. Locals, no.

I went to the Glynco campus in 2016 and 2017, and we had to turn in weapons at the welcome center. We could check them out if leaving post, but the process was extremely time consuming. We did not have a key to individual lockers. They also had us strip all ammo out of the mags. The ammo was put into a ziplocked bag and kept by the welcome center. We were given back our empty mags.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Not taking a gun.

Earliest I can get coffee? If that was covered, I failed to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Not taking a gun.

Earliest I can get coffee? If that was covered, I failed to notice.
    Think the buses start heading to the cafeteria a little before 6:00. Cafeteria opens at 6:00.

The main classroom building has a Starbucks, but don’t think it will open before 6:00. Computer lab building has another small shop… I want to say they have coffee brewing, but can’t remember.

There should be a small coffee maker in your room.

Im currently at Glynco for an advanced course. We got put up in a local hotel for the duration. No roommates. If you don't have a POV or rental car, then you'll have to take the FLETC shuttle bus to and from base.

Crap, I have not checked PF in a couple months.

Been taking breaks from the internet. I was at FLETC the past 7 plus months. Working as an FI on the range and part time in the supply issue, i never had a desk, so i was not sitting around surfing the net all day. It was a nice break. Today was my first day back in my Houston Cubicle, so I finally decided to hop back on PF.

Sorry to miss the info. Had I been paying attention, I would have met up with you and allowed you to buy me a beer!

Looks like you got most of the info you need, and have probably already returned home. But if you had any other questions, shout them out!

And you guys... Southern Soul is good, but seating and parking suck. Gary Lee's Market is an old gas station turned BBQ joint, about 4 miles south of Brunswick. They know their way around a brisket. For Pizza, "V's Pizza" on the island has a coal fired oven and makes a great hand tossed thin crust artisan style pizza.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    Ooooof. My condolences. As others have said- try to queue up for meals as early as you can- so you can beat the CBP/BOP crowds.

Also, unless I’m mistaken, I’m pretty sure they have trustees preparing and serving meals there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The few times I have been there for re cert I have seen minimum security Camp inmates from the Satellite Camp at FCI Jessup down the road.

As far as food if you like seafood I’d recommend you hit Mullet Bay in St Simmons.

I’m only sentenced to one week so……

Dude, that is nothing you should be able to do that standing on your head. The chow hall is pretty good as far as chow halls go. There will always be plenty of classmates with cars if you can't drive your POV. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by RJflyer View Post
    Im currently at Glynco for an advanced course. We got put up in a local hotel for the duration. No roommates. If you don't have a POV or rental car, then you'll have to take the FLETC shuttle bus to and from base.
    Nailed it!

And the chow hall is a “no-go”.

Thanks for all the tips to all who replied.

Site Supporter
    Nailed it!

And the chow hall is a “no-go”.

Thanks for all the tips to all who replied.
    Decent hotel? A colleague of mine went for an advanced course and FLETC put him up in, and I’m paraphrasing, a decaying hole crawling with gangsters.

User Tag List