Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FLETC tips in 2023

FLETC tips in 2023

I searched a bit and didn’t see much that satisfied my curiosity.

Long story short, I’m being sent on an all expense paid trip to FLETC at Glynco. I’m traveling light/sans checked gun on a plane. Taking the bare necessities in one checked bag and one carry on.

Landing in JAX, if that matters. I’ve arranged ground transportation through FLETC already.

How’s the food? I’ve heard the accommodations are average at best. I’ve heard of shared bathrooms and the lack of cleanliness.

Anyone been recently that can offer some tips and tricks to maximize the experience? About the only luxury I require is morning coffee and a decent meal. Any help is appreciated.

And it can’t be worse than the seven days I spent in isolation in the Covid ward/hospital back in 2021.

Regards.

I believe @Gadfly is currently TDY there and would be able to share current info. I was there pre-COVID so I can be sure what I tell you hasn’t already changed.

There are a few decent places to eat on St. Simons Island including a pretty good barbecue spot, the name of which escapes me. It’s right past a roundabout/traffic circle I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post

There are a few decent places to eat on St. Simons Island including a pretty good barbecue spot, the name of which escapes me. It’s right past a roundabout/traffic circle I believe.

Southern Soul
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Southern Soul
    That’s the one!
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Accommodations vary- you could be in a single person room or have a roommate. I stayed at the newer Taj Mahal, but that was a hike from the chow hall.

Food- breakfast fare is okay, and lunch is edible, but be aware that BOP lines up like clockwork at the chow hall prior to opening- so you may be waiting behind 100 folks prior to each meal.

I opted to explore and eat dinner on the economy a few nights a week.

Eateries Near Campus in Brunswick

Moondoggies Pizza

Nakorn Thai

Cracker Barrel

Chic FIL A

Eateries on St.Simons

Tramici (phenomenal Italian fare)

Southern Soul

Mellow Mushroom Pizza

Mallory Cafe

Del Sur (fantastic empanadas)

Hit me up with any further questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Definitely get out to Saint Simons a few times to change the scenery from the grit and grime of FLETC and Brunswick. Nearby Jekyll Island is a treat for walking around; it's cleaner and feels more historic, although I think you have to pay a parking fee before entering.

The food wasn't bad in my opinion, but I'm not terribly picky. Do try to beat the BOP and CBP hordes if class lets out early for lunch.

I won’t have a car while there so unless outside eateries are within a few miles, I’ll be stuck to the chow hall.

I’m a breakfast dinner sort of dude so lunch usually isn’t done.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    I won’t have a car while there so unless outside eateries are within a few miles, I’ll be stuck to the chow hall.
    Ooooof. My condolences. As others have said- try to queue up for meals as early as you can- so you can beat the CBP/BOP crowds.

Also, unless I’m mistaken, I’m pretty sure they have trustees preparing and serving meals there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    Ooooof. My condolences. As others have said- try to queue up for meals as early as you can- so you can beat the CBP/BOP crowds.

Also, unless I’m mistaken, I’m pretty sure they have trustees preparing and serving meals there.

Awesome.

Additionally, if you are using the FLETC fitness facilities or running tracks, you must be in the issued PT uniform, available at the gym.

User Tag List