Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock vs Shadow Systems

Thank you for all of the insightful replies! After careful consideration I am leaning towards the G45 with the Radian barrel/comp, a Holosun 407co x2 w/a steel CHPWS or FCD plate , and the new Glock performance trigger.
    Last edited by witchking777; 01-17-2023 at 08:11 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    Shadow Systems take on *The why behind a break in period on their pistols*, and their Foundation Series pistols

https://youtu.be/r9xyl7TMHQs

https://www.recoilweb.com/shadows-sy...ew-177007.html
    After over 1,000 rounds, our sample was still not “broken in” apparently. I wouldn’t ask anyone to waste money on a Shadow Systems. I think their early guns worked and created the buzz, but their current guns aren’t worth the gun rug they ship them with.

Just buy the G45

Most of the feedback I have heard about Shadow Systems pistols has been positive. Both my MR920 and MR920L that I got around a year and a half ago have been 100% reliable since day one and round one. I know their sales has really exploded in the last few years, so there quality control could have slipped some recently, I don’t know. I would also not be surprised if some of the pistols that have reliability issues were dicked with in one way or another my the original or secondary owners, just like with Glocks. Also, I kind of take anything I hear on the internet with a grain of salt.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    Most of the feedback I have heard about Shadow Systems pistols has been positive. Both my MR920 and MR920L that I got around a year and a half ago have been 100% reliable since day one and round one. I know their sales has really exploded in the last few years, so there quality control could have slipped some recently, I don’t know. I would also not be surprised if some of the pistols that have reliability issues were dicked with in one way or another my the original or secondary owners, just like with Glocks. Also, I kind of take anything I hear on the internet with a grain of salt.
    My sample was brand new, hand selected, Agency T&E gun. It was absolutely brand new off the assembly line, with nothing touched on the gun prior to, during, or after our evaluation. It was MY suggestion to test. I wanted to like it. It literally could not get through 2 full magazines without a malfunction. Over 5 different shooters and multiple new, factory ammunition types. Both Glock and Magpul provided mags.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    My sample was brand new, hand selected, Agency T&E gun. It was absolutely brand new off the assembly line, with nothing touched on the gun prior to, during, or after our evaluation. It was MY suggestion to test. I wanted to like it. It literally could not get through 2 full magazines without a malfunction. Over 5 different shooters and multiple new, factory ammunition types. Both Glock and Magpul provided mags.
    I can relate to that, as I felt the same way about a new Chevy truck I bought back in 2000 that had issues from day one.
    So no more Chevy or GM stuff for me, even though I know they don’t all have issues.

My DR920 was new and stock. The second one I got back from SS was also stock.

Neither could do sub 8" for 10 rounds at 25 yards. They ran though, mostly although I only ever used Glock mags.

My personal experience is they can't articulate any quality standards and the precision of the frames, barrel and slide machining leave something to be desired for critical areas. It's also really difficult to get CS to respond.

Glock can keep it's tolerances down to .001" over decades for those same points.

Post 11,
    I generally like your potential configuration.
    I will say, do consider the Holosun SCS instead of the 407C-X2, as the SCS won't need a mounting plate; only comes with a green-colored reticle; and gives three reticle choices: donut-of-death (looks like an Eotech reticle to me) with dot in the center; dot only; or donut only.

I'll also point out, I see/hear Shadow Systems is coming out with its own screw-on compensator, should you want to go with Shadow Systems as was initially being considered.

I'm a Glock-type-of-guy, too, and considered trying a Shadow Systems MR920, but then I calmed down and realize I've got other places to spend ~$1000 right now. I've already got two G19Gen5 guns; one's a MOS with a Holosun SCS. I've also got a G17Gen5 and a G34gen4, so I'm well-covered with the full-size grip Glocks, too (but nope, don't have a G45).

Although tempting at times, I just don't buy everything Glock sells to try them out. I'll let others do the testing and reviews; read about them on forums like Pistol-Forum, then probably think about it for a year or longer.

Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post

Neither could do sub 8" for 10 rounds at 25 yards. They ran though, mostly although I only ever used Glock mags.
    Interesting. I have seen some other complaints of malfunction issues, but I have not previously seen any accuracy concerns. Mine is a friggin' laser beam when I do my part.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Interesting. I have seen some other complaints of malfunction issues, but I have not previously seen any accuracy concerns. Mine is a friggin' laser beam when I do my part.
    My first gun had several issues at play. The second one's slide to frame fit was better, but the barrel to slide fit at the hood and bottom locking lug was bad. I measured the play at the hood at ten times what Glock's factory dimensions are for my Gen 4 guns and even worse compared to Gen 5's barrel fitment.

I could've re-barreled that gun and it would've likely tightened it up some, but at that point I was money ahead to trade it on a Gen 5 G17 MOS, so that's the path I took. Fortunately I hadn't paid close to list price on the DR920. The G17.5 (box stock) can reliably hold the X ring at 25 yards for 10 rounds, as long as you count line breaks.....with the same load the DR920 sprays like a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    Just buy the G45
    ^That.

When testing pistols for a new platform, I tested a couple of my range's well broken-in SS rentals against my new G45. The ones I tested had no reliability issues. And they do have a nice optic mounting solution and a few of the extras (sights, grip frame with an angle I'd prefer). But I shot the G45 as well, or better. It's proven reliable over a large number of users. While some SS shooters like their pistols and have good reliability, IMO the number of reports of issues is disconcertingly high and lots of people are getting rid of them. That's compounded by repeated mentions of slow or poor service.

In the end, the G45 shot as well or better than an equivalent sized SS, for me. And is proven more reliable. If this is a carry gun, I'd get the G45 and spend the effort to customize it for optics, sights, etc.

User Tag List