Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock vs Shadow Systems

Glock vs Shadow Systems

Hi there. I currently have a Gen 5 Glock 17 with Ameriglo Agent sights that is my EDC piece. It has about 4,000 rounds through it with one malfunction caused by purposely limp wristing it. I'm looking to go the red dot/comp route with either a SS DR920P, SS War Poet XR920 w/ the new SS comp, or a Glock 45 MOS with either the Agency 417 dual port comp, ZEV comp, or the Radian Ramjet w/Afterburner. Does anyone have any experience with these combos? The red dot will be a Holosun 407co x2. I was excited about the SS but I've been reading about a lot of issues with FTF, FTE, etc. For that kind of money a pistol shouldn't be having issues IMO, especially since it will be my carry piece. I'm also looking at the new Glock trigger as well. I will also get a CHPWS plate for the Glock as well. Thanks!

FYI, Shadow Systems also offers their new Foundation Series line of pistols. The Foundation Series of pistols starts at an MSRP of $679 which is about $350 less than the typical cost of the MR series of pistols. Also, like the Timney Glock Gen 4 and 5 triggers, I am pretty sure Glock could offer a GEN 4 version of their new performance OEM trigger if they wanted to, and that would be compatible with the Shadow Systems Gen 4 type pistol.
    As for any Shadow Systems quality issues, yes they have some just like every other manufacturer, Glock included. The thing is online for instance you will usually hear about the bad much more than the good. The main thing to me is if I got a new pistol with issues, is that the manufacturer fix it promptly and fix it right the first time. Not making any excuses for any manufacturer, but I think because of COVID and the overall work ethic of the current work force in our Country, *good* workers are harder to find and retain, especially for a growing company and overall quality / quality control has slipped across the board. I have seen this in all kinds of products.

i can't help you with the comp question, but I won't try to sway your opinion on that issue.

The primary advantage of Shadow Systems is their universal mounting system. Their systems provides for a LOT of thread engagement with the mounting screws. You also won't have the cost of swapping sights or needing a plate; so, that mitigates the cost difference.

The difference in frames is a matter of personal preference. The SS does give you the option of swapping backstraps and changing the grip angle.

My MR920 has been completely reliable with Glock mags although it did come with a recoil spring that had to be immediately replaced. It doesn't like feeding the first round of a full mag from slidelock with the Magpul mags.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

My eyes are aging and I wanted a fairly cheap way to dip my toes into the RDS pool. I did a little research and recently picked up a SS MR920 (Foundation Series) due to it's direct mounting system jlw mentioned. Bass Pro had a sale on the Holosun HS507C so I opted to go that route for an optic. The fit an finish on the pistol is good in my opinion. I only have about 600 rounds through the pistol (all Blazer Brass). I've had one stoppage (second mag through the pistol with the provided Magpul magazines).....after which I swapped the stock SS mag catch out for a Glock OEM and started using Glock OEM 15 rounders with no stoppages or issues since.

I spent a couple months with a DP920 and a MR920L early last year and generally liked them OK, but ultimately decided they didn't offer anything over CZ P-07/09 I was previously running. My biggest hangup with the gun was that they went away from the original Glock backplate design, so that it wouldn't take a striker control device.

As JLW mentioned above, the best part of the gun is its optic mounting system. Additionally, the grip texture, undercuts, decent suppressor sights, and other features make it a good value compared to a $600 Glock, if those features suit you.

In the scant couple thousand rounds, I didn't have any malfunctions after the 50 round "break in period" that their manual says to expect. I did see another student in a Presscheck Consulting No Fail Pistol class struggle with reliability issues shooting an SS gun with some sort of aftermarket comp. (I don't remember the details, but it was before the factory comp'd guns came out) I wouldn't be too concerned about their factory comp.
    David S.

Shadow Systems take on *The why behind a break in period on their pistols*, and their Foundation Series pistols

https://youtu.be/r9xyl7TMHQs

https://www.recoilweb.com/shadows-sy...ew-177007.html
    Last edited by Biggy; 01-16-2023 at 07:16 PM.

Some insights…

@witchking777 , I can offer a couple of insights using a G45MOS with a Radian comp/barrel. We have one at work, with a Steiner MPS on the slide for evaluation. My experience is the barrel is very accurate and the comp allowed me to follow the dot on recoil. I did go to the lighter recoil spring to see how it would perform.
    Disclosure: I’m a Glock owner and carrier. I have no experience with the other company other than I have read of functioning issues. Every maker experiences some bumps, but the Glock has a lot of support surrounding it. JMO, but I’d think you’d have fewer issues with it than the other.
    With the positive reports on the the Glock “Performance Trigger”, I could see setting up a Glock with the comp of your choice, etc. By policy we don’t run comps on our carry pistols. But a Radian barrel/comp, red dot and new trigger is something I’d look forward to running.

I issue the G45 MOS as a duty sidearm and cannot speak higher of a pistol from a duty/carry standpoint. Shadow Systems tends to cater to those who like to play Barbie with their weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    My biggest hangup with the gun was that they went away from the original Glock backplate design, so that it wouldn't take a striker control device.
    This is the reason why my polymer choice is Glock. That margin for safety is huge for me.

User Tag List