Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW/BUG options.

CCW/BUG options.

Hey all, I'll be moving out of California soon and will be able to carry with my permit finally. I have been thinking about what i want as a EDC or as close to a EDC as i can get in most situations. I am moving to Montana so there will be differences in seasons that need to be accounted for. My primary shooter for home protection and any future IDPA matches is a Glock 17. I recently sold my Glock 19 to fuel this purchase (Glock 19 didn't carry very well for me, I know it is others primary carry and i envy your ability to do so.) I tried to dress around the gun but it just wasn't very practical for me. So down to business, I have been focusing on two different guns, the glock 26 or a smith and wesson sheild.(my alt carry will be a j frame in the pocket when i can't belt carry.) I know what most are gonna say is go with the Glock 26 because your primary is a glock 17, and i honeslty 100% get where you are coming from. I have a few issues with this pistol though: 1) it is thick, which is nice for my grip but doesn't add any degree of concealment 2) the trigger saftey is enough for me in 90% of situations but it just is not enough when it comes to the option of AIWB(which is a option I want), i know it is training issue on my part so i could learn to overcome this. Honesty that is all i have for issues with it, i have rented the glock 26 and put atleast 500 rds through one now and I am impressed by it(even though the range hasn't cleaned it in a probably 3000 rounds). The reason why the Smith and Wesson shield is coming up is it addresses problem 1 and 2. So please feel free to tell me your opinion and how my views are flawed.

E

Check out the M&P Shield. It's about the same size as a G26, but it's almost 1/4" slimmer. I'm a pure Glock guy, and I absolutely love this thing.

that's what I'm saying man, how does the trigger compare to the glocks?

Not sure where in MT you will be, and how outdoorsy you are, but the exception to my 9mm for lower 48 rule, is Montana and some of the surrounding area. I consider .40, 10 and .44 to be minimum calibers for recreating where grizzly bears live. I would still practice with a 9mm, and carry it in town, but increase caliber in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    that's what I'm saying man, how does the trigger compare to the glocks?
    Much to my delight, the trigger is quite a bit like the Glock trigger. There are obvious differences, but the take-up/break/reset are really close to the Glock trigger. The break is noticeably heavier, but it hasn't caused any issues with accuracy or consistency. It's not exactly the same, but close enough to make me happy. I (gasp) modified my safety lever, so that's a no longer an issue for me. It still has all the internal safeties of the standard M&P line, so it's not an unsafe pistol. I have no issues carrying AIWB without an external safety. I feel that with enough training, attention to detail & a proper trigger pull weight, it can be just as safe as 3:00-4:30 IWB.

If this gun were to have a safety lever that you can actually engage/disengage quickly & consistently, I might not have such an issue with it. It's so small and tucked in that it might be difficult to sweep consistently. My Glocks don't have safety levers, so I'm happy to have a single stack 9 that operates pretty much the same as all my other handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Not sure where in MT you will be, and how outdoorsy you are, but the exception to my 9mm for lower 48 rule, is Montana and some of the surrounding area. I consider .40, 10 and .44 to be minimum calibers for recreating where grizzly bears live. I would still practice with a 9mm, and carry it in town, but increase caliber in the field.
    I couldn't agree more, and I'm extremely blessed to be able to hide a G20SF IWB/AIWB quite easily.

Last edited by MEAT; 10-06-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MEAT View Post
    Check out the M&P Shield. It's about the same size as a G26, but it's almost 1/4" slimmer. I'm a pure Glock guy, and I absolutely love this thing.
    ^^ Completely agree.

A G19 and Shield fill 90% of the roles I need out of a handgun.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
    ^^ Completely agree.

A G19 and Shield fill 90% of the roles I need out of a handgun.
    If only I could actually *find* a shield...

Kahr PM9 as a BUG to my H&K P2000.
    The Kahr trigger and the LEM triggers feel almost identical to me.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

do you have the issue of the rounds coming out of a spare
    mag with the pm9?

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    If only I could actually *find* a shield...
    They're around. Hit me up for details if serious.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List