Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New rules

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    More like Sig told her what the changes to the rules were going to be.
    Beretta probably has something ported coming out

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I'm curious: it says that barrel porting is allowed but I don't see anywhere that slide porting is. How is barrel porting allowance going to work, or has slide porting been allowed before?
    Where does it say barrel porting is allowed?

In this example from ESP it expressly prohibits it. A.2.1.5 Firearms originally sold as compensated/ported models may be used in ESP with noncompensated/ported barrels installed.

I could be missing what you are referring to very easily though.

Read on down.

A.2.3 ESP Permitted Modifications
    A.2.3.1 See Allowances and Restriction in 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 in the IDPA Rulebook
    A.2.3.2 Ported barrels.
    A.2.3.3 Compensator and Muzzle devices incorporated into the firearm. Screw on or removable attachments
    that are pinned on are not permitted.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Read on down.

A.2.3.2 Ported barrels.
    A.2.3.3 Compensator and Muzzle devices incorporated into the firearm. Screw on or removable attachments
    That really doesn't make any sense as it directly conflicts with other rules. I give up. I still don't know what they are getting at with the whole new 8.1 verbiage.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    That really doesn't make any sense as it directly conflicts with other rules. I give up. I still don't know what they are getting at with the whole new 8.1 verbiage.
    I think the keyword is "may"

A.2.1.5 Firearms originally sold as compensated/ported models may be used in ESP with non-compensated/ported barrels installed.

I looked through all I could find on holsters. '8.5 Holsters' doesn't seem to have changed much but this line from 2022 is gone.
    '8.5.1.12 A dropped and offset (DOH) holster with the butt of the firearm no lower than the top of the belt may be used. Concealment and cant angle rules apply.'
    It has been replaced w/ this for 2023;
    '8.5.1.12 All IDPA legal holsters must hold the butt of the firearm clearly above the top of the belt. Concealment and
    cant angle rules apply.'
    So that covers holster height and the new for 2023..
    '8.5.1.13 When viewed from the front, a holster may not extend away from the belt more than the width of a spare magazine tube or reload device (of the firearm being used) or cause the firearm to tilt further than vertical, unless the shooter’s body touches the grip of firearm.
    ..covers offset amount so I see these changes as a good thing.

But the Preface paragraph to '8 Equipment Rules' is '8.1 Firearms General' that MVS quoted in post #3 is so vague as to be nearly un-understandable and unenforceable.
    - IDPA, 'If you wouldn't carry it in public to defend yourself, you can't shoot or use it in a Defensive Pistol division for competition.'
    --Me- I shoot a Beretta 92, but it is a full size gun and I carry an M&P compact. So now I can't shoot a 92 in idpa? I am pretty sure they don't mean that but....
    - IDPA, '[1] Another criterion used to assess gear will be to ask how this would appear to patrons in a local shopping mall or supermarket in regions where open carry is not permitted. If you can conceal your pistol holster with a light windbreaker and comfortably draw your pistol while seated in an automobile with bucket seats, your holster is probably okay. [2] -- Reference: [1] & [2] IDPA Official Rulebook 10-26-96'.
    --Me- Who is going to decide 'how this would appear to patrons'? Also, even my compact is a pain to deal with in our 15 Mustang or in our 19 Stingray. The 92 I never even try in those cars. In our Honda Pilot the compact is fine but I usually pull the 92 from the holster and put it in the center console. So to me all this is very subjective is going to be decided by one person who could be having a bad day. And what is this reference to 'IDPA Official Rulebook 10-26-96'. An official rulebook from 27 years ago?
    - IDPA, 'Equipment Guidelines: Gear permitted for Defensive Pistol competition must be specifically designed for everyday carry (NOT for range or competition use)...'
    --Me- Who will, and how will, he/she decide if something was 'specifically designed for everyday carry...'?
    I see their intent, and applaud it, but am concerned about how the new rules will be administered. For those of you who have been shooting idpa longer than I, how have Qs on equipment been decided in the past. Does one get told about it, but allowed to shoot today w/ a warning not to show up with it next match? Or does one get sent home if it can't be fixed right now?

Read on down.

A.2.3.2 Ported barrels.
    Field report No 1 on Benos:
    "The AC here has ruled that barrel comps are flatly not allowed. I am not sure I agree with this ruling (it's not what the rules actually say), but that's a data point for everyone involved."

Field report No 1 on Benos:
    "The AC here has ruled that barrel comps are flatly not allowed. I am not sure I agree with this ruling (it's not what the rules actually say), but that's a data point for everyone involved."
    Pretty sure I saw the 365 spectre comp go through a courtesy equipment check at a tier 4 this weekend and pass

That is a good sign.
    It will apparently take a while before all the interpretations shake out.

That is a good sign.
    It will apparently take a while before all the interpretations shake out.
    . . . . At which point further changes and modification of the rules will be haphazardly distributed to area coordinators, where they will be subject to variable interpretation and enforcement.

User Tag List