Thread: Most Recent ATF brace rule - the one announced 1/13/2023

Most Recent ATF brace rule - the one announced 1/13/2023

I was looking for a current thread on this and didn’t see it. Likewise , I was unsure of which forum was correct ? (Handgun vs. carbine vs. NFA)

I am interested in hearing how people are planning to manage this and what the growing consensus will be for appropriately configuring / abiding by the new rules.

What do you think is the best way forward ? What changes does the informed PF community intend to make , if any?

Is it still the case that the brace can be removed ? Or are people seeing what I seem to see - namely that AR pistols in general - even without the brace - if they have a buffer tube that could make overall length “rifle like” they will be flagged as well?

Mods - please delete or direct of misplaced. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    In one physical model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction, Danny. -Ty Webb

Thank you. Feel free to close / delete / etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rather than create yet another brace thread, I thought I’d pose a question here for NFA folks as I ponder what to do with mine:

Does the tax stamp create any possibility of a visit from ATF?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Rather than create yet another brace thread, I thought I’d pose a question here for NFA folks as I ponder what to do with mine:

Possibility? Sure. Likelihood? Don't think so. They got better things to do. The explosion of NFA ownership will likely mean that their funtion stays regulatory; just not enough resources. If they want to come in they need a warrant based on probable cause, signed by a judge, and then they will just do it. Even warrants that ultimately are detemined invalid will be served. Otherwise they need your permission.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post

If you mean the Fudd lore that owning an NFA Item / having a tax stamp is “class 3 license” and somehow similar to having a FFL I.e. that it opens up your home to ATF “inspections” like the inspections conducted on FFLs that is 100% false.

If you have ever filled out a 4473 to buy a firearm, there is a possibility of a visit from ATF , especially for firearms bought and then sold or traded. I would put the likelihood of a tax stamp resulting in an ATF visit equal to that of a 4473 resulting in an ATF visit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Possibility? Sure. Likelihood? Don't think so. They got better things to do. The explosion of NFA ownership will likely mean that their funtion stays regulatory; just not enough resources. If they want to come in they need a warrant based on probable cause, signed by a judge, and then they will just do it. Even warrants that ultimately are detemined invalid will be served. Otherwise they need your permission.

pat
    I think it’s important to distinguish that there are two parts of ATF.

The administrative/ compliance side that mostly deals with Industry / FFLs and the criminal investigations side.

The admin complainer side only goes to the business premises of licensed dealers, importers of manufacturers. They don’t go to peoples houses, period. As noted the criminal investigation side doesn’t have enough time or resources to pursue all actual criminal cases.

Unfortunately, one of the pieces of misinformation that has floated around the gun world for years was that owning an NFA item requires a “class three license” which opens up your home to inspections, as if it were the premises of an FFL.

As you know that is 100% false but I’ve been hearing that same b******t since I was a kid.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I think it’s important to distinguish that there are two parts of ATF.

The administrative/ compliance side that mostly deals with Industry / FFLs and the criminal investigations side.

The admin complainer side only goes to the business premises of licensed dealers, importers of manufacturers. They don’t go to peoples houses, period. As noted the criminal investigation side doesn’t have enough time or resources to pursue all actual criminal cases.

Unfortunately, one of the pieces of misinformation that has floated around the gun world for years was that owning an NFA item requires a “class three license” which opens up your home to inspections, as if it were the premises of an FFL.

As you know that is 100% false but I’ve been hearing that same b******t since I was a kid.
    Way more articulate than I was.

pat

User Tag List