Thread: Vintage Colt Trooper / Python action issues?

Site Supporter

Vintage Colt Trooper / Python action issues?

Hey there revolver enablers...

I have a 1965 Colt Trooper--same action as the Python. It shoots pretty well. Tack driver in SA. However, the action occasionally seems... off. Not all the time. But usually after I shoot it. Here's a video of what I mean--you can see it hang up on the 4th time I cock the hammer:

https://youtube.com/shorts/mLU3mmiJGd4?feature=share

It does it again on the 7th / 8th hammer cocking. You'll see it also hangs up once or twice when I pull the trigger in DA.

Like, I said, it seems to get like this after I shoot it... then it kinda works itself out after I work the action a bit. I thought maybe the side plate was loosening up from firing? But I made sure to Loctite the screws... they haven't budged since I shot it yesterday.

I actually just had the gun refinished. They didn't note any issues with the action (though it wasn't misbehaving when I brought it in). And to be clear, it exhibited this behavior prior to the refinish—so nothing’s really changed in that respect.

Here's some before/after pics--turned out great, I think:

Before:

Name:  IMG_1135.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  23.7 KB

After:

Name:  image1-3.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  32.0 KBName:  image2.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  32.4 KB

Any thoughts/ideas on what might be going on?

Thanks!
    Last edited by MattyD380; 01-15-2023 at 04:04 PM.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Try asking here https://www.coltforum.com/forums/

in the Colt-smithing section.

It may be bolt drop timing, but they will have a better idea.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    That looks like the bolt timing is off. The old v spring colts had to have instant bolt movement at the movement of the trigger or hammer.

As advise above the colt forum has the information on checking the colt action in the gunsmith section.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll be watching this one with interest as I recently picked up my grail revolver, a vintage Trooper like yours. I carried my 4" Python in the early 80's and had no problems other than it started giving light primer strikes and had its mainspring replaced toute sweet, which resolved the issue. I hope you get some good advice from the Colt forum!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the perspectives, everyone.

I went ahead and posted it on the Colt forum:

https://www.coltforum.com/threads/vi...issues.399370/

We'll see what they say...
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Site Supporter
    Dfariswheel on the colt forum is very knowledgeable. His information has been very helpful in my colt adventures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List