Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defender Tactical Safety Sight - Mossberg Series - Simple and possibly good upgrade

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!

Defender Tactical Safety Sight - Mossberg Series - Simple and possibly good upgrade

Good evening to all,

We have a family house in the desert a couple of hours away from our home. While we use it mostly for recreation, it also serves as a place where we can go to be safe in crazy times. We spent the first 9 months of the pandemic up there which allowed us to escape the crazy mayhem going on down below. During this time I was able to bring everything I need up there to keep safe, but I began to think about assembling a small collection of defensive arms to leave there, stored in a safe, that would allow us to leave immediately if need and be protected once we got there. I wanted good, quality arms, but not things that would break the bank.

I initially put together a basic 16" AR-15. Then I found a cheap Glock 17 to go with the AR. Lastly I found a basic Mossberg 500 to add to the safe. I was happy with everything except for the 500. It had a plain bead sight, which works, but is not optimal. I looked at different sighting system and then found Defender Tactical. They make a simple safety replacement that is made from machined aluminum, incorporates a shallow V, and a white witnessmark for sighting. I guess it is sort of a field expedient express sight. I ordered it on Monday and had it on Wednesday so no complaints about shipping or processing. Packaging notes that it is made in China, so that is one strike for me.

The initial impression of the sight is that it is well made, much easier to use as a safety than the factory part, and does provide a much better sighting reference than just the bead. Installation is simple and everything was done in less than five minutes. My safety sight came with a new hex-head screw with lock washer (much easier to install) an extra safety ball bearing in case you lose the factory one, and a taller and wider brass bead for the front end. The whole kit was about 30 bucks shipped.

The safety sight does sit significantly higher than the factory part it replaced, but has rounded edges and does not seem like it will snag or get caught on things. I was fired up to go test it this weekend, but we have had continuous rain for the past couple of weeks and it has flooded out the road to my close shooting spot. I will update once I get a chance to shoot it, but so for is looks like a uncomplicated, affordable option for improving a basic Mossberg system while retaining the simple and affordable aspects of the system.

Here are some pictures for reference:

Name:  IMG-4189.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  IMG-4190.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  53.0 KB

Name:  IMG-4192.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  66.1 KB

Name:  IMG-4191.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  IMG-4194.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  101.7 KB

Name:  IMG-4196.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  33.6 KB
    Last edited by ECVMatt; 01-14-2023 at 10:44 PM.

Interesting. Please update us to how it works out at the range.

Let us know how you like it. I've been thinking about taking my rmr off to use on other guns and this would be nice. I've already got the xs front sight on it.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

I just ordered one for my 410 shockwave.
    The high impact was annoying and I was going to mount a red dot.
    This is a simpler solution that keeps the gun sleek and svelte.

The whole reason I got the 410 was so my wife and daughter had something lightweight, and easy to shoot that fit in the backpack without taking up a ton of room. It also carry’s like a dream with a simple nylon sling.
    The purpose is for potting grouse, and backwoods defence from weirdos and bears.
    410 buckshot especially in the 5 pellet 000 variety would be deadly and patterns well.
    Birdshot is only a close range proposition with the cylinder bore but would work well for grouse that usually freeze in the brush and don’t flush till you get pretty darn close.

The high point of impact with the factory bead was not conducive to them shooting it easily. The red dot solution just adds weight, bulk and complexity that they don’t need.

This sighting system is really perfect for the 410 application.
    My 12 gauge model is set up with a red dot and light but it’s a more capable weapon with longer range. And a heck of a lot more weight and bulk. No way they could handle the recoil on it either.

@ECVMatt, have you gotten a chance to try it on the range? I can see this as a good sight for my Shockwave.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Seems like the kind of setup begging for one of XS' JB-weld on big-dots.

If the rear sight is taller than your bead, expect to be a couple of feet or more low at close range. The big dot will probably make you only a few inches low by contrast, setting the big bead on the post. And if I were a betting man if you choose the Tritium version: https://xssights.com/products/big-do...-mossberg.html - I bet the Tritium dot sitting on the post is damn near on.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    @HeavyDuty -

It rained again this weekend and cancelled my plans. I am cleared for next weekend to I will give it a go and report back.

Well here is an update on the sight.

The bottom line is that it does provide a basic aiming point, is aligned to the big bead they sell, but might not be very precise. I had three other people from 17 to 54 y/o try the sight as well.

Here is a summary of our impressions:

In all fairness this sight was developed for the Shockwave and meant to be used at arm's length. When we extend our arms and looked at the sight, it is clear and functions like the rear sight on a rifle or shotgun barrel. When we shouldered the shotgun and the sight moves closer to the eye it becomes blurry and the white stripe serves more as a crude reference point than an aiming device. The good is that when you put the bead on top of the white dash you get well centered, POA hits. We only shot out to 15 yards and only used target loads and buckshot. We were planning on shooting some slugs this morning before we came home but the wind picked up and surrounding desert became a dust bowl. I guess that will be for next time.

As a safety it works great and is a notable improvement over the plastic safety it replaced.

For now, I am satisfied that the sight will serve in its intended role. It is unobtrusive, generally works, and is cost effective for my particular need. I think a nice expansion might be the same concept, but drilled to fit the existing holes in the receiver. Moving the sight forward might allow for a better sight picture.

Shooting slugs the next time will determine if I keep this as is or continue to look for another option.

I hope this helps,

Matt

Thanks for the review
    My sight set is on the way.
    I’m putting mine on a shockwave so I think the rear sight should work.
    My only concern is the smaller 410 receiver is quite a bit smaller and might place the rear sight too high.
    The 410 uses the same safety as the 12 but the smaller receiver makes the safety sit a bit higher in relation to the top of the receiver.
    Only way to find out is get it installed and shoot it.

I got the version with the taller front bead, total cost $34.00. Easy to install, use a 4mm socket for the old front bead and screw the new one on with some locktite. The new bead base protruded into barrel, some quick work with a file fixed that (unscrew bead, file, rescrew, repeat until flush). Remember to put on safe when replacing the safety otherwise the safety block falls into the receiver and is a pain to re-attach. For the price this is a way better setup then the OEM bead and plastic safety. The taller front bead is like the bead on pedestal on 870's thus putting the bead where it would be on a vent rib. The express style sight is fuzzy (visually) but works. For turning a beater 500 into something useful, it's hard to go wrong. This is for an 18" not a shokwave.

User Tag List