Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: TISAS 1911s

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Guys, you may hear some negative reports about SACS, Wilson, etc... once in a while but trust me there is no comparison between, say, a SACS Pro and a Tisas. Just like there is no comparison between a Colt Custom Shop gun and a Colt production line gun. The hand fitting that goes into higher end guns does have benefits. They aren't always perfect but the high end 1911s are a step up in fit, finish, and function. I'm at the point now where two thirds of my 1911s are hand-built guns.

It's just my opinion, and I am not trying to discourage anyone from buying a Tisas.
    I do understand the point, but $400 and $3000 are slightly different price points. If I have to do the same amount of tinkering on a $800-$1200 gun as I would on a $400 gun, well, I may as well get the cheaper one.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    If I have to do the same amount of tinkering on a $800-$1200 gun as I would on a $400 gun, well, I may as well get the cheaper one.
    That point is hard to argue with.

Guys, you may hear some negative reports about SACS, Wilson, etc... once in a while
    And yet this forum and others are awash in reports of how even the custom guns can expect trips back to the manufacturer just to function, or to a different "real" gunsmith to get to the fit and function they would've come from the factory 20 years ago.

And, on top of all that, 1911s are the hardest thing to collect objective information on because every tread is an express ticket for the SS Boomer on a one-way trip to "back in my day" with half or more of the posts being by people who haven't even shot the damn gun in question.

So, do I trust the random internet guy that offers nothing more than "trust me" with a $3k purchase when the objective information I can gather points to exactly the opposite?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The answer to this will have a significant impact on whether I buy one. Looking at the Duty and Stakeout in 45.

With everything bad I keep hearing about everything else up to and including Baer, Brown, Wilson, and SACS....I just don't see the point in spending more money than a TISAS.
    I'm looking hard at the Stakeout as well. Minus the sights, it is setup just how I want a 1911 to be.

Site Supporter
    So, are these close enough to actual 1911 specs that drop in parts will drop in about as well as they do for other makers?
    Likewise. If I have to file and fiddle and swap and replace to make one work, well...
    Just so there is no confusion, there is no such thing as “drop in” parts with 1911s (or most other guns from the same era.)

Even so called “drop in” parts should be expected to require some fitting and fiddling. 2011s are the same.

So, are these close enough to actual 1911 specs that drop in parts will drop in about as well as they do for other makers?
    There's "drop in" that requires a few stokes of a file or stone. Then, there's "drop in" that requires a drill press and bench grinder. My sample of one trended towards the former.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I have no info on TISAS pistols. I have two friends who bought multiple RIA 1911's. They are happy with them. One friend is a tinkerer and he specifically bought one to learn on. He swapped in an EGW trigger kit with good results.

I think if you buy one to shoot and learn about the 1911 they are fine for what they are. If you decide you want to start customizing the pistol and want a gunsmith to do the work, then it doesn't make sense. The gunsmith cost will far exceed the base pistol cost. If you invest in upgrades, than you will have more value in a Colt or Springfield.
    Last edited by DamonL; 01-17-2023 at 09:21 AM.

Site Supporter
    For me, the answer for a base model 1911 has basically been Springfield.

My Springfield is my single stack gun and has been more reliable than my CZs or Berettas and put up this 10 shot 20 yard target. I bought it used for 450 bucks tuned the extractor, added a Harrison rear sight, EGW angle bore bushing, and Dawson magwell

It runs JHP just fine. In fact the only ammo it malfunctioned with was a SWC that caused malfunctions in my Glock 21. Factoring those out, it has been more reliable than my CZs or Berettas

ETA: I am still quite interested in the results if anyone here buys a TISAS and modifies it.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 01-17-2023 at 10:22 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    And yet this forum and others are awash in reports of how even the custom guns can expect trips back to the manufacturer just to function, or to a different "real" gunsmith to get to the fit and function they would've come from the factory 20 years ago.

And, on top of all that, 1911s are the hardest thing to collect objective information on because every tread is an express ticket for the SS Boomer on a one-way trip to "back in my day" with half or more of the posts being by people who haven't even shot the damn gun in question.

So, do I trust the random internet guy that offers nothing more than "trust me" with a $3k purchase when the objective information I can gather points to exactly the opposite?
    Which brands can be trusted to produce a 1911 that will run 100% with no adjustments whatsoever, straight out of the box? As Hilton Yam likes to say, "None of them."

Even the high-end producers make guns that have issues. But I thought that people up-thread were saying that buying a Tisas (or other low-cost option) gets you to the same place as a semi-custom from a top maker. It turns out I had mistaken what was being said a bit.

My history so far with high-end guns:

Colt Special Combat Government 45: No issues ever after many thousands of rounds
    Colt Special Combat Government 38S: No issues ever, sold it anyway
    Colt Custom Competition 38S: No issues ever, sold it anyway
    Colt Custom Carry 45: No issues ever, sold it anyway
    Colt Custom Carry 9mm: No issues, trigger not the greatest, sold it

SACS Professional Operator 45: No issues ever after thousands of rounds
    Wilson Combat 9mm Commander: Too much extractor tension from the factory causing feeding problems, fixed it myself
    Nighthawk Custom 45 Commander: Slide release causing slide to lock back with rounds still in the magazine, fixed it myself but will probably sell it anyway
    Fusion Firearms Custom Build 38S: No issues ever (not necessarily a high-end gun but it is a custom build on a Colt S70)

Anyway, I've contributed to or caused a major thread drift so I will stop.

I do understand the point, but $400 and $3000 are slightly different price points. If I have to do the same amount of tinkering on a $800-$1200 gun as I would on a $400 gun, well, I may as well get the cheaper one.
    That point is hard to argue with.
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I am still quite interested in the results if anyone here buys a TISAS and modifies it.
    Which brings up something I have wondered about.
    Tisas and RIA sell a lot of basic pistols, what I call "imitation Army surplus" on their low prices. There were Tisas being blown out in the low $300 range.

Let's assume you get a good one, as I am sure most are. A friend has one of each, the RIA required some tinkering for full function, nothing expensive, the Tisas was fine as is.

You might be happy with it for casual shooting, the GI Experience, CMP as issued shooting, CAS Wild Bunch.
    But you might decide Grandpa was right, that forty-five is a tough gun to shoot, as issued. The sights are small, the trigger is tough, the hammer bites. So you want to improve it. If you can handle it DIY, fine, but if you have to hand it to a gunsmith, the costs are going to go up fast. The material and dimensions are said to be ok, so you can come out with as nice a pistol as you can envision and budget for. Kind of like the customized Norincos we used to see.

That should make a good shooter to your taste, but what of resale value, which seems to be always on the mind of a custom or deluxe gun buyer? It is not likely to sell for as much as the same options on a Colt or SA.

You could have bought one of their higher end models. RIA and Tisas make guns with more prominent sights, beavertails, bilateral safeties (NRAspeak) and rails. RIA has double stacks, Tisas has stainless steel. At higher prices, of course.
    Want something nice? How about the $1000 Tisas Match?
    I suspect you would want a US name brand for that kind of money.

Just rambling, fishing for ideas. I think I will get my stuff and go shooting.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List