Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: TISAS 1911s

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Some info on the Raider. Maybe we've already seen this? It was news to me.

https://swiftsilentdeadly.com/video-...rsoc-operator/
    Brought up for discussion one page ago, and referred to in another thread on the first page.

My only real beef with it is that it says "Raider" on the slide when the Raiders were the first ones to ditch it. Recon and the PMO SRTs kept them until the transition to the SIG M18 throughout 2020-2022.

With that out of the way, remember that it's just a lookalike. It doesn't have the beefed up frame resultant from the acquisition testing in order to increase service life, and it doesn't have the dual recoil spring. I've placed the M45A1 in the hand of a new shooter after they first fired my slick framed Springfield, and the recoil difference was so substantial that they thought the guns were two different calibers. With my M45A1, I can maintain splits almost the same as a Glock 19, whereas that's nowhere near a possibility with a standard 1911 for me.

So, I'd strongly suggest to anyone with the money to spend it on the real deal, as it really is a different gun.

Cerakote is also a garbage finish for a gun as the USMC found out in use...which is why the specification was changed to Decobond DLC...same as what Glock is using on the M/Gen 5 guns, just a different trade name. So you're really getting a higher quality gun with the Colt M45A1 when considering the total product, IMO....not to mention you're buying a real M45A1, which if you're buying an m45A1 then that should probably matter.

ETA:

In his video he mentions the Colts going up to $3k. That's for the Colt Custom Shop pistols, not a rack grade M45A1...so thats a good differentiation to make.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    It doesn't have the beefed up frame resultant from the acquisition testing in order to increase service life, and it doesn't have the dual recoil spring.
    I'd probably get one in 9mm so service life and recoil are probably moot. Even in 45 I'd never shoot the gun enough to worry about its longevity.

Is the dual recoil spring not available through the aftermarket? I know dual springs have been around a long time for short 1911s. I never looked for one for a 5" gun.

Here's something that pops up during a perfunctory Google search:

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=5942

Maybe combining the dual spring with a Keefer slide stop mod would be the ultimate in recoil reduction.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Pics taken off another forum. Counterfeit markings added to make the Raider more clone correct.

Today, the Stingray passed the one thousand round mark.
    Name:  20231125_174957.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  76.1 KB
    Name:  20231125_175014.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  81.2 KB

After my aborted experiment with the Walther PP, I cast around for a carry choice compatible with my arthritis. During my Walther journey my youngest son bought a Stingray of his own and I was fairly impressed with its performance. So, I decided to get my own. I'd handled several of Tisas 1911 offerings and was fairly impressed with what I saw. The lack of drama with my sons pistol sealed the deal.

We fired five hundred rounds through it during the first session and the lack of drama continued. The gun ran well throughout, digesting the following:

100 rounds Fiocchi 115 grain fmj
    100 rounds Spear 124 grain +P Gold Dot
    300 handloads, 124 grain polymer coated LRN over 5.9 grains of Alliant BE-86.

The Stingray clipped along through it all without an issue. The further five hundred handloads were also sent downrange without incident. Twenty five yard groups averaged three inches off hand with all ammo types. I wouldn't use it for a bullseye tournament, but it's well within food court standards. The barrel bushing fits well, but is easily removed by hand. There's just a hint of play when pressure is applied to the barrel hood, so lock up isn't perfect, but I've seen far worse on other brands. There's some vertical play in the trigger, but nothing excessive or inhibiting of function. I'll leave it as is. As new, the trigger measured at an even five pounds with a bit of creep. It's now just under five and the creep is gone.

I've read of thumb safeties with light tension, but this one has a nice positive engagement that won't require a new plunger springer. There's also no downward play in the thumb safety when it's fully disengaged, something I've seen in far more expensive offerings. One note on the thumb safety: every edge on the gun is lightly broken or beveled, this includes the primary lever on the thumb safety. The only aspect lacking this is the secondary lever on the ambi-safety. The edges are rather acute and I can see how it might irritate a left hander. This is a strange omission on a pistol where this seems to have been attended to everywhere else. I've never liked the bobtail frame. Honestly, for no other reason than it looked strange. Now that I've spent time with it I can see the attraction. It doesn't negatively effect my shooting and it does aid in concealment.

Overall, the Stingray is an attractive pistol. I don't typically go in for spray on, bake on finishes. But, the Ceracote seems well done and hasn't shown any wear yet after many presentations from a leather holster. The black and grey two-tone finish is pleasing in a low key way.

As an experiment, I swapped a few parts out, slide stop, thumb safety, extractor, etc. I didn't tune the parts for function, but they all dropped in without difficulty. Fitting of aftermarket parts shouldn't provide unusual difficulty. The sights are Novak *style*, but the dovetails aren't of Novak deminsions. I've seen some frustration over fitting aftermarket sights. I've shared this frustration with more brands of 1911s than not, at all different price points. This includes plenty of pistol/sight combos that were advertised as "drop in". As with God's Gun in general, don't expect anything to be truly drop in. I can't knock Tisas for this.

I compared the Stingray side by side with a Springfield Ronin Commander and a limited run Colt Government Model, at the shop where I purchased it. The Springfield was comparable in feel, but is filled with MIM parts compared to the forged parts of the Tisas. I'm not an MIM hater, but there are some aspects of the 1911 where an old school design benefits from old school parts. The Springfield was half again more expensive than the Tisas. The Colt was appointed just how I like my 1911s. It also had the only properly fit thumb safety I've seen on a Colt in quite some time. The slide had the typical razor edges and the trigger was the worse I've experienced on a 1911 at any price point for a long time. The only thing the Colt had over the Tisas was a pretty blue finish. That, and a price three times higher.

This is the first 9mm Commander variant I've used and it's far superior in handling to a five inch gun chambered in the .380 Long Rifle. The Commander sized guns, and smaller, is where the 9mm really lives in the 1911. There are several things I'd usually change out due to personal preference, the sights, thumb safety mainly. But, I don't dislike any of these things enough to bother changing them. I view this pistol as a tool, not as a canvas for personal expression. It will remain largely as is. After handling around a dozen, and shooting two, I'd rate the brand as good as anything in the production market under Dan Wesson. It's as good as, and in some aspects better than the alternatives. It's not a pistol to keep under glass and polish with a diaper, or to impress your snob friends with. What it is, is a solid service grade 1911 for plastic fantastic money.

Huzzah

Postscript: in that first five hundred rounds I probably fired around three hundred of them. It's been a long time since I've been able to do that. With a .45 one hundred rounds does me in. The aluminum frame is also a godsend on my hips. Overall, a very nice package.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 11-25-2023 at 08:49 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Pics taken off another forum. Counterfeit markings added to make the Raider more clone correct.

Well that's, unnecessary.

One thing I forgot to mention: magazines used have been a combination of Wilson 10 rounders and Checkmate 9 rounders.

A few more points of interest: I just had the Stingray broken down to check wear patterns, after a thousand rounds. The thumb safety seemed perfectly fine initially. But, I decided to drop in a Wilson Combat plunger tube spring and related plungers. This did, in fact, make a rather large difference in the tension. Highly recommended. Also, if you decide a lighter trigger is desired, you may decide to install a lighter sear spring, such as those sold by Cylinder & Slide. If this is the only reason for disassembly don't bother. That's exactly the spring Tisas uses.

Finally, the ambi-safety is very tight in the frame. Don't expect to be able to remove it without the assistance of tools.

Do the various Tisases (Tisi is the plural here?) accept common 1911 parts like extractors? I recently bought a Girsan and it has some funky too small extractor tunnel. Extractor length itself seems about right but the tail end that interfaces with the firing pin plate is too small. I don't have a lathe and don't see any simple way to turn a new extractor to fit. This just seems flat out idiotic. Why make a different size for something that doesn't need to he? Surely it isn't less expensive nor.does it improve quality or reliability.

Do the various Tisases (Tisi is the plural here?) accept common 1911 parts like extractors? I recently bought a Girsan and it has some funky too small extractor tunnel. Extractor length itself seems about right but the tail end that interfaces with the firing pin plate is too small. I don't have a lathe and don't see any simple way to turn a new extractor to fit. This just seems flat out idiotic. Why make a different size for something that doesn't need to he? Surely it isn't less expensive nor.does it improve quality or reliability.
    As I said, I did a test swap on my Stingrays extractor, no problems.

Here's the JSOC inspired gun.

https://battlehawkarmory.com/product...feature-pistol

User Tag List