Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: TISAS 1911s

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    That's interesting stuff. I'm actually old enough to have seen some products made of Bakelite. When I was a kid some table top radios were made of Bakelite. Many are now worth a lot of money in really good condition They came in amazing colors.

Can you recommend a good book or two on 1911s? One guy suggested a good one, but it cost a hundred bucks. I can't afford that.
    What kind of info are you looking for, history, mechanical, how to?
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Pretty much anything and everything. I only have three years of pistol experience and know next to nothing about how semi-autos operate. I bought a couple of inexpensive used gunsmithing books expecting to see exploded diagrams of all the internal mechanisms with arrows pointing to each part, accompanied by a numeric list of names. Neither book contained anything like that. The books were aimed at shooters with years of experience working on guns.

I need elementary information, and history is always nice to know. As it is, I don't know a sear from a gear. ha ha. I certainly know a gear when I see one, I tinkered with cars quite a bit when I was a kid. I'm 66 yrs old.

So I'm interested in any semi auto books, particularly the 1911, that contain parts illustrations, part names and their functions. I'm very late to the world of pistols, but still need to know how my guns function.

Pretty much anything and everything. I only have three years of pistol experience and know next to nothing about how semi-autos operate. I bought a couple of inexpensive used gunsmithing books expecting to see exploded diagrams of all the internal mechanisms with arrows pointing to each part, accompanied by a numeric list of names. Neither book contained anything like that. The books were aimed at shooters with years of experience working on guns.

I need elementary information, and history is always nice to know. As it is, I don't know a sear from a gear. ha ha. I certainly know a gear when I see one, I tinkered with cars quite a bit when I was a kid. I'm 66 yrs old.

So I'm interested in any semi auto books, particularly the 1911, that contain parts illustrations, part names and their functions. I'm very late to the world of pistols, but still need to know how my guns function.
    For just names (partial anyway) and an illustration:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...arts-list-1911

Won't tell you what they do but free is free...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Site Supporter
    Thoughtful, thank you! I've seen similar diagrams, but as you know they're not very helpful when we can't clearly see the parts and there's no description of their functions.

Site Supporter
    Guys, I found this 1911 field manual on several sites at various prices. This is the lowest I came across. Amazon has it, but I was unable to look at the reviews.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14386004098...Bk9SR4Scj-CwYw

https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Pis...cx_mr_hp_atf_m

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    There are a lot of 1911 animations on YouTube that show how 1911s function and what all the moving parts do.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    What became of MSW? It doesn't appear there's been anything new for about a year. Various authors all moved on to different interests?

I heard somewhere that Tim Lau retired from his California department and moved to Idaho. Hopefully that's true and he's enjoying himself.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Jerry Jones and Steve Harris publish articles occasionally, but that's about it. I've thought about it but have never taken the time, not sure if I could still login. I tried contacting Tim by email and didn't receive a reply just before the site was slowing down.

That's really about all I know about it. It was fun and a good source of information. I was glad to be involved with it.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Besides the Jerry Kuhnhausen 1911 manuals, there are the two 1911 books by Walt Kuleck, along with the various government publications (which are often oddly inferior).

By comparison, as far as I know there has never been an in-depth technical guide published about the Beretta 92.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Why put off until tommorow what you should do today? I talked to John Harrison, the slide's off in the mail this week.
    Very eager to hear about the sights. I'll do the same if you are happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    Very eager to hear about the sights. I'll do the same if you are happy.
    A gold bead front and a black rear is my favored iron sight combo. This isn't the first time John has done this for me, so I'm fairly certain I'll be pleased.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List