Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: TISAS 1911s

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    It does look a lot like the real thing:
    Attachment 115757
    Attachment 115758
    I speculate a MEU(SOC) gun is next as those clone parts are no longer readily available as far as I know.

Maybe that's covered already by the Raider?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I find it curious they went with the LPA rear sight instead of a Bomar-style. Maybe the LPA was easier/cheaper to source.
    Hilton Yam has said that the LPA is more common these days, and easier/more efficient to install (perhaps you know that already—I just learned it myself). Maybe that was all the reason MAC needed. My opinion is that it’s close enough for an “homage” versus a strict clone.

The JSOC seems to be a lot of gun for the money assuming it works with at least ball ammo -- and so far it seems the guns run okay with ball. I have to give the company credit for taking a cool idea and going all the way to market with it. Someone at MAC must be at least somewhat tuned in to the 1911 culture to have thought of this whole project.

The other options for procuring something approaching a "unit gun" from that era are either quite pricy or involve a whole lot of do-it-yourself.

I find it curious they went with the LPA rear sight instead of a Bomar-style. Maybe the LPA was easier/cheaper to source.

If I had one of these I would slap on a pair of Herret's full-checkered stocks with beveled bottom and all just to make it even closer to the guns that inspired it.
    The actual Bomar is long out of production. The LPA is also a mechanically superior sight, both structurally and in use.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I guess you're right. I carry one all the time and I'm about as "nobody" as they get.
    OK, maybe one or two people.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I don’t know if the first sentence is tongue in cheek and that’s just not coming across via text, but you know there are plenty of people (including multiple active members on this forum) who do carry 1911s, right?

Edit - Nevermind what I said about safeties, I was looking at the wrong picture.
    Yes, I know people carry 1911's. I used to OC one when hiking in the desert. T&C
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The actual Bomar is long out of production. The LPA is also a mechanically superior sight, both structurally and in use.
    Yes that is why I said "Bomar-style". Ironically, Springfield Armory uses LPA sights on most of their guns with adjustable sights but they use a Bomar-style on the TRP Operator which was inspired by the unit guns. Colt also still uses a Bomar-style sight.

I've owned several guns with both Bomar-style and LPA sights and neither are as fragile as people like to think.

The JSOC seems to be a lot of gun for the money assuming it works with at least ball ammo -- and so far it seems the guns run okay with ball.
    This is my attitude, too - if it can be a reliable ball gun, it’s worth the trouble.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Yes that is why I said "Bomar-style". Ironically, Springfield Armory uses LPA sights on most of their guns with adjustable sights but they use a Bomar-style on the TRP Operator which was inspired by the unit guns. Colt also still uses a Bomar-style sight.

I've owned several guns with both Bomar-style and LPA sights and neither are as fragile as people like to think.
    I wouldn't call them fragile, but I wouldn't call them particularly solid either. I only have one 1911 left with an LPA/Bomar. I have little desire to ever have another.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I speculate a MEU(SOC) gun is next as those clone parts are no longer readily available as far as I know.

Maybe that's covered already by the Raider?

The TISAS "Stakeout" is basically a rack-grade MEUSOC without the Pachmyer grip.

Marketing directly as a MEUSOC clone might be a tough thing to do, though. The MEUSOC cloner community are the most screeching-autist, pedantic, quibbling cloners of them all*. The attraction of the MEUSOC is that it was hand-built. Unlike the M45A1, there were several generations of it that melded together, and any Quantico PWS 2112 will additionally tell you that in reality they were throwing whatever parts they could find into the guns to keep them up and running. The result is that there really isn't any one true MEUSOC specification to clone.

So, making a mass-produced MEUSOC clone is likely to appeal to very few people. Someone would want an earlier generation, while others would want a mid or later generation. And they're all wrong, anyway, since they're not hand-fitted or actually built with the correct parts*.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

making a mass-produced MEUSOC clone is likely to appeal to very few people. Someone would want an earlier generation, while others would want a mid or later generation
    I think the key would be picking the right variant. One that appeals to the masses.

This is probably the version most often seen in photos or as a clone. At least in my extremely limited research, aka poking around on the internet.

The key would be the old style grip safety, the ambi thumb safety and then iron "Millet" sights. I would say the Pachmyrs would also be a requirement to give the pistol the most appeal.

I'd guess a pistol configured thusly would sell as well as the JSOC guns.

User Tag List