Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: TISAS 1911s

I think this is already reported? I assume it has been.

https://thecmp.org/tisas-partners-wi...d-1911-pistol/

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Success.

Attachment 115547

The MGW Hammer of Thor proved its worth during the installation. I took a little material off the sight base, as much as i could and still maintain clearance with the dovetail. Then, I cranked it on. The front sight went right on without any fitting.

If you're listening Tisas, two things: these sights are obviously meant for a five-inch slide. The front sight is very tight in the rear notch, with very little light space. I may have to open up the rear notch a bit, we'll see. Also, stop Ceracoting the sights. The semi-gloss sheen is counterproductive. The flat surfaces on this set counteract it, but it's an issue with you Novak type sights. The Ceracote also doesn't respond well to the caressing of a pusher or a punch. A phosphate finish is far superior.
    So what sights did you end up with? How about the front sight height? Did you adjust for POA/POI?
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    So what sights did you end up with? How about the front sight height? Did you adjust for POA/POI?

I used the sights advertised on the Tisas website. The tritium front and ledge rear. I just put the sightscon a few hours ago. I have no idea about POA/POI as of yet. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to open up the rear notch a bit.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Perhaps not worthy of its own thread so here we are.

Looking at possibly switching gears and going 5” 9mm on the Tisas. Any commentary on 5” 9mm? I did a thread search and came up with a few, but for some reason recall a P-F Palooza mega thread on it. Also, there was the ToddG thread where he put the two identical guns thru their paces. Can’t find that either. Maybe it’s old age. Lol. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    Perhaps not worthy of its own thread so here we are.

Looking at possibly switching gears and going 5” 9mm on the Tisas. Any commentary on 5” 9mm? I did a thread search and came up with a few, but for some reason recall a P-F Palooza mega thread on it. Also, there was the ToddG thread where he put the two identical guns thru their paces. Can’t find that either. Maybe it’s old age. Lol. Thanks!
    I put a Springfield 5" 9mm 1911 through the 2K challenge several years ago and it passed with no failures. Shortly after that a couple of the Metalform mags I used started failing to lock back on empty.

The last two 5" 9mm guns I owned ran fine except they occasionally failed to go all the way forward into battery even with robust recoil springs. No feeding or extraction issues.

I just took delivery of a 5" Wilson Combat 9mm and am looking forward to getting it to the range for the first time. Hopefully it will work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I put a Springfield 5" 9mm 1911 through the 2K challenge several years ago and it passed with no failures. Shortly after that a couple of the Metalform mags I used started failing to lock back on empty.

The last two 5" 9mm guns I owned ran fine except they occasionally failed to go all the way forward into battery even with robust recoil springs. No feeding or extraction issues.

I just took delivery of a 5" Wilson Combat 9mm and am looking forward to getting it to the range for the first time. Hopefully it will work great.
    Thanks. There was a thread from the late teens era that discusses recoil spring selection and use. That was informative and tagged. A lot of the discussion here seems to focus on it being a range toy. I’m looking at it from a much more utility standpoint. I guess I don’t really see a difference between a 9 or 10rd 9mm and a 10 or 12rd .40 or .45 when the discussion turns down that alley.

Site Supporter
    A lot of the discussion here seems to focus on it being a range toy.
    I'm hoping the Wilson runs good enough that I can use it in future pistol classes that I attend. But I will probably still carry a 45.

My Colt 1991A1 is a fine shooter but not perfect.
    It has broken a rear sight, a front sight, and two ejectors. A spate of misfeeds was apparently due to splayed magazine lips from being dropped half full as USPSA L-10.
    My SA MixMaster A has lower mileage but after assembly and refinement has been trouble free except when given truncated cone bullets.

I always liked Metalform magazines, so when they announced a 10x9mm, I stocked up; I even recruited friends to order enough for the wholesale price. They turned out to have the 1950 rear spacer instead of the "front ramp" I had been using in 9x9mms. After a while they lost reliability. New springs did not help. I salvaged them by discarding the rear spacer and putting in .38 Super follower and spring. They then would feed 9mm ball ammo.
    I now have a mix of Tripp Cobramags, CMC XPs and converted Metalforms, with samples of Wilson, post Wilson CMC, and MecGar.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Thanks. There was a thread from the late teens era that discusses recoil spring selection and use. That was informative and tagged. A lot of the discussion here seems to focus on it being a range toy. I’m looking at it from a much more utility standpoint. I guess I don’t really see a difference between a 9 or 10rd 9mm and a 10 or 12rd .40 or .45 when the discussion turns down that alley.
    An all-steel 5" 9mm 1911 does make for a dandy range toy; I highly recommend them to anyone just on that basis. Would I utilize my own favorite example for "real world" use? If I had to, sure. I know its quirks, I don't fool around trying to fix what is broken, and it beats the hell out of a sharp stick or no stick at all. It would not be my first choice or my second choice, but neither would it be my last choice.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

JSOC review

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...-review/492484

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

User Tag List