Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: TISAS 1911s

Heck, Novak is half the problem. Their oddball sight cuts caught on which I guess was kind of OK, but then off brand copies just enough different not to have to license the design got common.

My FLG prefers Heinie, says the rear is easier to install - and one custom gunsmith makes it easier by removing the hangy down part and a famous custom gunsmith makes his own of the same simplified profile but nicer, don'cha know.
    And he thinks the Heinie (also STI) .300" dovetail looks more in proportion out front.

Me?
    I have low Bomars, an old low Micro, and an LPA that came on guns. I have not had an oddball rear sight cut made; I have King and Novak rear sights that fit the GI dovetail. I have had cross dovetail fronts put on for the wider selection of blades, though.

I watched FLG struggling with the ChiCom guns. People think that low machinability means it must be stronger and better. The tough steel selection seems to have stopped short of the barrels, I have read several accounts of beat up locking lugs. Tuner put Imbel/Springfield barrels in them.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Yeah, but you can buy front and rear sights that fit Novak, or Heinie, or LPA, or BoMar, or a bunch of other common cuts from just about every vendor that graces the earth, both front and rear cuts.

Who the hell sells a rear sight that fits a Tisas cut, front or rear? Other than Tisas

I'm sure the sight cuts are from ONE of the established vendors/cuts, but not everyone is made the same...they might be Kimber cuts, which is just different enough to be annoying as hell, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Not to get kind of snarky....but, when you buy $300 1911s, you get $300 1911 troubles...

I'm being %100 serious when I say your best bet is to send the slide off to Novak, have them cut it (if they can/are able to/are willing to, they may not want to deal with it), and open yourself up to the universe of genuine and licensed Novak sights. It'll be less expensive than playing mix and match sights...plus if you decide you hate the Tisas and want a new gun but for some reason have an emotional attachment to the sights, you can just pop them off and probably use them on the new gun. Of course the old sights won't fit anymore, but who cares.

In case you think it wasn't always this way, remember Norinco 1911s? They were rote copies of an Ithaca M1911 as made by Norinco. They were actually really good copies....but they had their problems. They used 5150 steel; tougher than anything else out there. In the list of $300 1911 problems, it would burn through carbide cutters when trying to cut sight dovetails and do other gunsmith work because the steel was so tough. Lots of gunsmiths would charge more to work on them because they'd eat tools. The grip bushings were also in metric, including the threads in the frame...so you couldn't just replace screws or bushings; you had to rethread the frame, etc.

So, little shit has always been the bane of the $300 1911's existence.

Not saying $1000 1911s are immune from the stupid shit problem index (ahem, Kimber)...just, the collection of dumb shit that'll be wrong always seems to go up as the price of the 1911 goes down...

I agree with you wholeheartedly. This has been a pain in the ass. I think the best mindset is to be okay with these guns as-is from the factory and don't go trying to fix them if they work.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Quote Originally Posted by 60167 View Post
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. This has been a pain in the ass. I think the best mindset is to be okay with these guns as-is from the factory and don't go trying to fix them if they work.
    I wouldn’t agree with this. I would say that it’s important to be really aware of what you’re going to do before you do it. Sights aren’t a universal thing and what looks like a “Novak” cut isn’t necessarily. I wouldn’t try to fit a set of sights to a 1911 without contacting the pistol manufacturer first or knowing “FOR SURE” what cut is used.

It’s the same thing as trying to fit a beavertail… is it a .250, .245, .220, and I think there’s one more radius in there somewhere? If you try a .220 beavertail on a .250 frame you can get there but you’re gonna move some metal.

I recently purchased a Tisas JSOC and the rear sight from the factory is adjusted almost to the top. I'm hoping the factory didn't sight it in and I can lower the rear Bo-Mar like sight at the range today/ The front sight has a brass bead and I'm sure it will de difficult to replace. I live within 50 miles of a great 1911 pistol smith who has taken pity on me several times in the past. If Tisas doesn't want to fix it I'll take it to my pistol smith.

Quote Originally Posted by 60167 View Post
    I tried to fit new sights today. The problem is that the dovetails aren't really Novak Spec, so it was pretty difficult. The dovetails were too short, front-to back. I had to remove material from the bottom of the sight and then carefully remove material from the leading edge of the rear sight. I had to be really careful to match the angle on the sight. I finally got it on after an eternity of filing.

Attachment 107928

Then I embarked on my failed front sight journey:

Attachment 107929

I ended up removing too much material from the bottom of the sight. The sight blade itself binds on the slide when I tried to push it in.

In summary: These dovetails are so out of spec, that a layperson with a file will have a hard time replacing sights. That's kind or a deal breaker for me.

The gun isn't out of spec. It's perfectly in-spec.........Tisas spec.

I've run into this with much higher tier pistols. It's just part of the 1911 experience.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I shot my Tisas JSOC this afternoon. The good news is the factory had made no attempt to lower the rear sight and it was shooting high. I was able to lower it to where the pistol was shooting POA. There may be one more click left so the sight is well protected by the slide. The bad news there is some creep in the trigger, but the poundage wasn't heavy. I'd say 4 to 5#. I had two failure to feed with H&G 68 loaded rounds. It feed the FMJ fine. Didn't try any JHPs. The brass bead front sight doesn't show up well at all. I may paint the dot red. I had other pistols I paid more for not do as well so I'm content.

I'm new to the Forum. Great place a lot of great information. This is my first delve into the world of 1911s. I picked up the Tisas Stingray in 9mm recently. I am trying to learn as much as I can about the platform. I plan on getting a full size .45 next. I wanted something cheap to learn on. I put 150 rounds through it a few weekends ago. I had a mix of 124 gr fmj and 115 gr sig sauer jhp. I had no failures to feed. I did have an issue with the slide not locking back on the last round. It locks back when I cycle dummy rounds just fine. If I rack the slide on an empty mag it locks back fine. I might have been riding the slide release. I'm going to take it to the indoor range tomorrow and shoot it and check to see if it will lock back this time.

What would cause the slide lock issue if it works when hand cycling or racking the slide on an empty magazine?

Pondering a 9mm bobtail.
    #RESIST

Our current thread on Staccato not being drop safe has me wondering. Is there anything in the current Tisas for this? S80 parts? Titanium firing pin, etc?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

User Tag List