Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: TISAS 1911s

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    One of these has the deepest hooks in me.

Attachment 115910
    You and me both.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    But compared to an off the shelf solution, soon enough it's just work, work, work, all the time.... I get it.
    Yeah figured optic cut commander sized 1911s in 9mm have to be a year or two out by someone...

So the JSOC definitely doesn't fit in a non-optics cut Milt Sparks VM-2, like those stocked by Top Gun and Monkey Edge. But the Stakeout fits perfectly.

What? No, I didn't buy the Stakeout just so I could buy a different holster... that would be crazy.

Oh: I dropped a Harrison trigger into the Stakeout. And, like the JSOC, it was a drop-in fit.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

A Stingray once they sort out the new Novak sight cuts might be more than I can resist.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Just picked this up from my pusher. It reminds me so much of a 1980s American Handgunner cover I couldn’t pass it up. I’m hoping to do very little to it - different grips, springs if needed - and then beat it like a rented mule. I always wanted a buried Bomar on the 1911 I built back then, this made more sense.

Attachment 115900
    Do not need... Do not need...

Nice find.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

These two are now properly tweeked and tuned to my liking.
    Name:  20240309_230247.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  53.3 KB
    Grips are Elk Stag by Cactus Gripper and American Holly by Woodcaliber.

The only area where I can really ding the company is their sights. Specifically, lack of standardization with the industry. The OEM sight replacements on the Stingray fit easily enough, with only minor fitting on the rear sight being neccessary. Still, the dovetails are proprietary and sight options are consequently, quite limited.

The Stingrays sights are those used on the Night Stalker, a five-inch gun. No compensation is made for use on a shorter Commander length slide. The only description on the company website states,"for Tisas dovetails". The original front sight is .132" wide compared to the .156" of the tritium replacement. Both rear sight notches measure .120". As such, the tritium sight completely fills the rear sight notch. I opened up the rear notch to .134" in order to gain some light space around the front sight. Fortunately, they are well regulated in terms of POA/POI. The company advises they're switching to true Novak dovetails. This really should have been standard from the beginning.

The seemingly simple GI sights of the Tank Commander turned out to be just as non-standard. This gave John Harrison enough frustration that he won't be taking any more Tisas based work. Fortunately, I got in before anyone else, and my favored combo of Harrisons gold bead front and retro rear sight fit the Tank Commander well. The 1911 can't be considered modular, but it is one of the most commonly modified guns in the firearms world. That the company didn't realize this, and accommodate for it, is a real head scratcher. Especially since they've done a good job of manufacturing to a base standard everywhere else.

However, in the end all is well. Both pistols shoot accurately, with a six o'clock hold. Mr. Harrisons work is of the expected high quality, and I managed the Stingrays installation without buggering it up. That wouldn't have been possible without the MGW Sight Pusher.

Name:  20240309_230553.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  41.6 KB

The total cost on these pistols wound up coming in below the MSRP of pistols from other brands with comparable features. I would have made some of these changes to those others as well, pushing the cost out further. The end result is two pistols that are accurate, reliable and set up to my personal tastes, at a pretty affordable comparative cost. They're showing themselves to be worthy successors to my long serving .45s. I've enjoyed the process.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 03-10-2024 at 01:24 AM.

Almost forgot: I haven't been impressed with the quality of Tisas springs. Recoil springs seem a bit crude in their finishing and the sear springs are a bit soft. I haven't run into any safety issues. But, I have replaced the recoil and firing pin springs with Wolff springs and have installed Cylinger and Slide sear springs.

Does Harrison's not taking work on Tisases(?) include the front sights or just the rear?

Because I would like to replace the brass beads on my pair with gold beads at some point.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Almost forgot: I haven't been impressed with the quality of Tisas springs. Recoil springs seem a bit crude in their finishing and the sear springs are a bit soft. I haven't run into any safety issues. But, I have replaced the recoil and firing pin springs with Wolff springs and have installed Cylinger and Slide sear springs.
    I saw enough comments about Tisas springs that I have a spring kit on the way for the JSOC.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Does Harrison's not taking work on Tisases(?) include the front sights or just the rear?

Because I would like to replace the brass beads on my pair with gold beads at some point.
    Tisasii?

I thought beads can be removed and replaced? It might be destructive to the bead.
    Ken

User Tag List