Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: TISAS 1911s

Site Supporter
    Thank you for your input! I ordered a copy on Amazon. One edition had 150 some pages, the one I ordered has 292. Oddly the listings didn't say 1st or 2nd edition. I assume the larger book is the 2nd edition.

I just may be a 1911 guy in the making!

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Pre-war M1911A1 pistols were blued and equipped with walnut grips.

Most (not all) of the M1911A1 pistols issued during the war were Parkerized and equipped with brown plastic grips.

After the war Colt produced guns with what they called Coltwood grips, similar to Bakelite. Some years had the Colt logo on them, some didn't.

They also used black plastic grips later on.
    Here is a set of repro grips that may look good on the ASF pistol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18534516684...mis&media=COPY

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Here is a set of repro grips that may look good on the ASF pistol...
    Here is another another option, $30-$60 USGI surplus panels: https://simpsonltd.com/search-result...1911a1%20grips

Top-to-bottom: Late-war Remington, Ithaca & Colt panels

So I bought another Tisas (a Stakeout... you might be detecting a pattern or two, here) and went to install a Harrison trigger and... it dropped right in, without any fitting. Again.

My VZ Grips drop right in; though, again, the factory grips were pretty stuck on.

Thumb safety was a bit... limp. Like the JSOC. Replaced the factory plunger spring and detents with a Wilson set and it improved. But the safety will still over-travel in the "fire" direction. Not huge... but mildly annoying.

I wish it had front strap checkering. And, like the JSOC, that it had forward cocking serrations. But I do kind of appreciate the very ad hoc, half-way improved look it has with the post-war small thumb safety, beavertail grip safety, mil-spec style dovetail rear sight, brass bead front sight, and... grip tape.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Site Supporter

Free version at internet archive

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    Guys, I found this 1911 field manual on several sites at various prices. This is the lowest I came across. Amazon has it, but I was unable to look at the reviews.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14386004098...Bk9SR4Scj-CwYw

https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Pis...cx_mr_hp_atf_m
    You may have to sign up for an account, but as someone said "Free is Free:

United States Army Tm 9 1005 211 34 22 June 1964

Site Supporter
    I swapped out my Stingray trigger to a Cylinder & Slide short trigger and put in a Wilson plunger tube assembly, neither of which were needed, Just preference, maybe I'll change out the ambi safety and grips but, it was a great shooter right out of the box and would seem to rival 1911's at twice the money. No buyer's remorse on this one!

Having the Tank Commander out of commission for lack of a slide, I've been spending more time shooting the Stingray. Since the installation of the EGW bushing it continues to impress. I've also noticed they seem to have a preference for 115 grain bullets over 124, in terms of accuracy. Not by a huge margin, but a noticeable one. Since Tisas is now offering sight options, I can see a change in the future. Overall though, a great piece.

Today, I handled the MAC1911DS and JSOC, as well as the D10 10mm. All seemed well set up. The JSOC was very cool, but I have nice 45s in the safe I don't shoot much anymore due to arthritis. The 10mm sure was attractive, but the aforementioned concerns apply even more here. So sadly, while I had ducats burning a hole in my pantaloons I left them lie. All nice though.

The LGS had a new Raider on the shelf, but in 9mm, on sale for $600. In spite of my previous comments, if it had been in the Holy Caliber it would have come home with me.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter

Tisas Carry

Picked up my .45 Tisas yesterday at the LGS and used the indoor range. The target was shot at 10 and 15yds. It prefers my 8rd. Chip McCormick mags over my Wilson 47D 8 rd.
    I'm impressed so far. For $425 not a bad deal. Only had the time to put 75 rounds through it. 230 gr. FMJ and 200 gr. LSWC #68. I'll post more once I change out the front sight and get more rounds through it.

Name:  Tisas Target.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  44.8 KB
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

I just recieved this message from John Harrison regarding the sight installation on my Tank Commander. Of interest is the difference in spec on the rear sight dovetail and the hardness of the slide. I was afraid these kind of issues would be encountered, so I'm glad I chose not to tackle it myself.

Hi Patrick,
    I have been working on your slide this afternoon and thought I would report on the developments that have evolved so far. The OEM site is quite a bit smaller in the dovetail width they USGI spec dovetail by .023”.
    On a simple triangular shaped rear site like this, that is quite a lot to adjust. You can’t just remove material from the bottom of the site, thereby making the width narrower, because the height of the site would be a good bit shorter in height (.035” or so) and would change the point of impact drastically. I would have filed it out of the dovetail on the slide, except the Tisas slide is so hard that a file will not cut it. So all that leaves me is to remove material on the front face of the site until I narrow it enough to install. That is where we are at the moment in the pictures below. Obviously the rear site will have to be reblued which is going to slow us up by about a week and unfortunately will cost about $25 for postage and bluing.

In case you’re wondering why the rear side overhang the side of the slides dovetail slightly on each side, that is another Tisas problem. My site is dimensioned to fit properly on the current dovetail configuration used by Colt and Springfield. That dovetail is .110.” Deep. The Tisas dovetail is .094” deep. The difference between the two raises by site up in relation to the radius on the top of the slide. because the dovetail is shallower, it is also shorter side to side because of the radius. So that’s why the site is longer than the dovetail width. You may find it interesting to note that the Tisas site is .022” wider than my site.
    At any rate, that is all, I have to report concerning the rear site. The installation is satisfactory in my eyes, and with the blasting and bluing it will look just like it’s supposed to.

Name:  IMG_8455.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  30.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_8456.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  27.7 KB
    Last edited by Trooper224; 02-19-2024 at 06:46 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Trooper224, dare I be so uncouth as to suggest Springfield Armory products. You are one of the primary drivers in my Mil Spec decision. I regret not having any experience with the gun to report as I can't purchase it until April.

User Tag List