Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: TISAS 1911s

Before I rummaged around in my parts box and found the black trigger, I'd ordered one from John Harrison. It arrived today and I'm home sick, so I decided to install it. Now, a perfectly fit trigger, and because they always rust, I threw in a set of stainless grip screws. Tinker, tinker.

Name:  20231206_135325.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  36.1 KB

I also blacked out the rear sight and put an orange dot on the front, since my eyes seem to pick up the orange quicker.

Name:  20231206_135348.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  33.6 KB
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Well, just got back from first range trip with the Tisas Stakeout.
    100 rounds of Winchester whitebox, and 1 failure to feed, but I'm attributing that to the 8 round mags that... aren't.

In 1 mag, loading full 8 rounds and the mag didn't fit the magwell, would stop a cartridge length short of fully inserted, other mag would insert all the but with resistance.
    On that mag, last round hung up feeding, slightly pulling back the slide and it fed.

With 7 rounds loaded, both mags ran fine.

Did the 10-8 extractor test, didn't jam, but ejection wasn't perfectly in the 3-5 o'clock range.

Smooth front strap was slightly annoying but not terrible. The brass bead insert in the front sight doesn't really show up well with range lighting.
    The extended beavertail was well fit, no pinching on firing.
    All in all, for my very limited experience with 1911s, I'm very impressed with the gun, and it fills my wish list to a tee, all for under $400.

No plans to ever carry it, it's a range toy. If I need a practical .45 I have an M&P.

So I got my shipment of replacement bits from Harrison today and...

I've never had a trigger just drop in on a 1911 before. No filing on the top or bottom of the trigger shoe, no filing on the overtravel screw.

I'm not complaining. I'm just... kind of confused.

I did replace the plunger detent spring and detents with components from Harrison and the thumb safety's action is much improved.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    So I got my shipment of replacement bits from Harrison today and...

I've never had a trigger just drop in on a 1911 before. No filing on the top or bottom of the trigger shoe, no filing on the overtravel screw.

I'm not complaining. I'm just... kind of confused.

I did replace the plunger detent spring and detents with components from Harrison and the thumb safety's action is much improved.
    I don’t think it’s “never” happened to me, but I was a bit surprised when my Harrison trigger dropped in. I filed just a bit on the overtravel stop - the trigger worked without it but there was that tiny bit of drag as the hammer was lowered so it did need that slight bit of fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    I don’t think it’s “never” happened to me, but I was a bit surprised when my Harrison trigger dropped in. I filed just a bit on the overtravel stop - the trigger worked without it but there was that tiny bit of drag as the hammer was lowered so it did need that slight bit of fitting.
    Mine needed just a bit of material removed from the trigger, but fitting was quicker than normal compared to other brands. Just a few file strokes on the overtravel stop were needed.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    I was never more surprised then when I had a thumbsafety drop right into a Springfield RO and work without fitting. That was the only that ever happened.

I examined a JSOC briefly at a local shop. I was expecting decent things based on all the generally positive experiences here and related forums.

The gun didn't disappoint. The general fit and finish was really good. The nitride finish really suits the pistol. Safety safety was crisp and positive in both directions. Really the only thing that looked a bit off was a slightly shallow feed ramp. Had the gun not been priced at close to $800 I probably would have bought it.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Being quite pleased with the Stingray, I decided to pick up a second pistol for use as a trainer. I decided on the Tank Commander.

The TC came out of the box with a three pound, nine ounce trigger. So nothing needed there. The rear sight was slightly off left, so I centered it before firing the first shots. The Stingray was pleasingly accurate. The TC shoots like a Lazer beam. I was honestly surprised. I didn't expect that kind of performance from a 1911 in this price niche. I haven't examined an example of their match line as of yet. But, the TC is fit up like every sample I've seen fron the duty and carry lines. There's a bit of play in the slide, frame and barrel hood fit. However, the gun is obviously fitted appropriately in the required areas. The thing is a flat out shooter.

The plunger spring will be replaced with another Wilson unit, since the TC exhibits the same thumb safety engagement that's obviously a Tisas standard. I owned a Colt Combat Commander years ago, in .45acp. I carried it for about four years. While I never experienced a problem, I eventually returned to a Government Model because I preferred the recoil impulse. Now, after spending time with the variant in 9mm, in both steel and aluminum form, I can say with certainty that the 9mm Commander is the best handling variant in the 1911 family.

I did have one failure to eject in the first dozen rounds. Upon examination, the extractor seemed a little light on the tension. After tweaking it a smidge I've encountered no other issue in three hundred rounds, thus far. I installed the stag grips to sex it up a bit. Other than that, I don't see doing anything else to it. At $400 I just don't see how you can beat it.

Name:  20231223_172515.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  50.4 KB
    Name:  20231223_172458.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  63.5 KB
    Last edited by Trooper224; 12-23-2023 at 07:34 PM.

I just can't help myself.

The factory thumb safety had a few sharp edges. Once again, every other edge on the pistol is nicely broken, except the thumb safety. Come on Tisas. The thumb shelf isn't the most ergonomic in the world, and in the down position the lower edge stood a bit proud of the frame. It had a little down play too. None of these issues were huge, just irritants.

Whelp, I decided to dig into the Box-O-Parts and found the original GI safety I'd removed from my CZ1911A1. I decided I had nothing to lose and dropped it in. Damned if it doesn't fit perfectly. Good positive engagement, no bounce and a good blending with the frame. I'm not sure that a new plunger assembly is neccessary now. The finish is close enough. Never throwing anything away is a good way to play the long game.

Name:  20231224_123406.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  32.5 KB

Wow! Seems to be a solid deal. If this was 9mm I'd order.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/tisa...-10100529.html

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

User Tag List