Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: TISAS 1911s

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Damn...all this is tempting! I’ve been mulling the JSOC, but the pull of a 9mm is strong. Never had a 1911 in 9mm before. Maybe for the price point I’ll dip my toes in.

Wasn’t there a huge thread on 9mm 1911’s here? I did a search last night, but only came up with smaller topics.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Damn...all this is tempting! IÂ’ve been mulling the JSOC, but the pull of a 9mm is strong. Never had a 1911 in 9mm before. Maybe for the price point IÂ’ll dip my toes in.

WasnÂ’t there a huge thread on 9mm 1911Â’s here? I did a search last night, but only came up with smaller topics.
    Years ago we had quite the discussion going when Tod was getting his Springfield to run in 9mm. I always held to the belief that 9mm 1911s weren't ready for prime time, until I bought a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm. That gun has had issues in the 10-12 years that I've owned it, but reliability isn't one of them. The thing has always run with AK47 reliability. It changed my mind on the types suitability for serious use.

The thing I didn't like was the recoil impulse. Even after respringing it, it still seems sluggish. That five-inch slide is a lot for the 9mm to push around. The Commander variant is an entirely different animal that doesn't suffer from that malady. Since Colt originally designed the Commander in 9mm, there's probably something to that. Shocking.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I’ve read descriptions on the 5” 9mm saying “It always felt like it was one round away from a malfunction.” Is this what you’re getting at? I certainly see your point on slide mass. Which ever direction I may go, it likely will be 5”. I currently own an older LW Champion in .45 and would prolly choose bigger.

I recall that Todd thread as well. IIRC, everyone chimed in with their own guns and round counts as he took those two pistols thru the challenge...

*edit to add*

Another reason I’m looking at the 9mm option is from ammo/support angle. I’m much better equipped to shoot 9mm than .45 for things such as ammunition on hand, brass, primers, and associated support. Seems like the bigger Easy Button option. Let me scour the forum some more...
    Last edited by entropy; 02-27-2024 at 10:54 AM.

I’ve read descriptions on the 5” 9mm saying “It always felt like it was one round away from a malfunction.” Is this what you’re getting at? I certainly see your point on slide mass. Which ever direction I may go, it likely will be 5”. I currently own an older LW Champion in .45 and would prolly choose bigger.

I recall that Todd thread as well. IIRC, everyone chimed in with their own guns and round counts as he took those two pistols thru the challenge...

In my experience the mags are a huge part of the success or failure of the 1911 in 9mm. Mags from Tripp or Wilson are probably the best.

Site Supporter
    I'm one of the guys who said that with 9mm 1911s I always feel like I am one round away from a malfunction, even after I put one through the 2,000 round challenge with no failures.

Every time I think I have moved on from 9mm 1911s one finds its way into my life again. I have a 5" Wilson Combat pistol on its way to me (along with a 45). We'll see how she runs.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Years ago we had quite the discussion going when Tod was getting his Springfield to run in 9mm. I always held to the belief that 9mm 1911s weren't ready for prime time, until I bought a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm. That gun has had issues in the 10-12 years that I've owned it, but reliability isn't one of them. The thing has always run with AK47 reliability. It changed my mind on the types suitability for serious use.

The thing I didn't like was the recoil impulse. Even after respringing it, it still seems sluggish. That five-inch slide is a lot for the 9mm to push around. The Commander variant is an entirely different animal that doesn't suffer from that malady. Since Colt originally designed the Commander in 9mm, there's probably something to that. Shocking.
    I bought a 5" RO Operator in 9mm back in 2016 and it became my favorite centerfire range toy and back pasture plinker. It had some minor issues at first, but in the end they were not serious ones... and nothing that I couldn't rectify myself. It is definitely a soft shooter; mine is not what I would call "sluggish" anymore, but before the hammer spring's disco leg end (and the mating surface on the disconnector) smoothed/polished and the gun broken in, that word was not inappropriate. Gata naranja's RO Compact was good to go right out of the box.

I use mostly Springfield/Leatham Metalform magazines and habitually load them - and any other 9mm 1911 magazines regardless of pedigree - down by one round from the stated capacity. It helps my blood pressure.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

*edit to add*

Another reason I’m looking at the 9mm option is from ammo/support angle. I’m much better equipped to shoot 9mm than .45 for things such as ammunition on hand, brass, primers, and associated support. Seems like the bigger Easy Button option. Let me scour the forum some more...
    That would be another way to describe it. When running a speed drill it feels like I'm waiting for the slide to catch up. With a Commander I've experienced none of this. In fact, at this point I think an all steel Commander in 9mm is the sweetest handling variant in the 1911 family.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    In my experience the mags are a huge part of the success or failure of the 1911 in 9mm. Mags from Tripp or Wilson are probably the best.
    My experience has not born that out. Of the three 9mm 1911s I own, they've all run fine with MecGar, Checkmate, Metalform and Wilson magazines. All loaded to capacity. Any issues encountered haven't involved magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    That would be another way to describe it. When running a speed drill it feels like I'm waiting for the slide to catch up. With a Commander I've experienced none of this. In fact, at this point I think an all steel Commander in 9mm is the sweetest handling variant in the 1911 family.

....You’re not helping here....lol

Success.

Name:  20240227_184708.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  50.3 KB

The MGW Hammer of Thor proved its worth during the installation. I took a little material off the sight base, as much as i could and still maintain clearance with the dovetail. Then, I cranked it on. The front sight went right on without any fitting.

If you're listening Tisas, two things: these sights are obviously meant for a five-inch slide. The front sight is very tight in the rear notch, with very little light space. I may have to open up the rear notch a bit, we'll see. Also, stop Ceracoting the sights. The semi-gloss sheen is counterproductive. The flat surfaces on this set counteract it, but it's an issue with you Novak type sights. The Ceracote also doesn't respond well to the caressing of a pusher or a punch. A phosphate finish is far superior.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 02-27-2024 at 08:11 PM.

User Tag List