Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: TISAS 1911s

Quote Originally Posted by shaneruss View Post
    I have a Tisas 9mm Duty model and I had the same experience with both the firing pin stop and new sights. I bought a Night Fision fiber optic front and an adjustable FO rear sight, both required a lot of fitting. I also had trouble with the extractor clocking due the FPS. I replaced it and the extractor with Wilson Combat parts and after some filing to fit it runs great. Passed the 10/8 test and ejection is consistent at 3 to 4 o'clock. Quickly becoming my favorite handgun.
    When extractor replacement becomes necessary on a 1911, it's not uncommon to have to replace the FPS as well.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I had issues with Rugers fitment of the small parts on the early samples. They've improved that by a big margin.
    Ruger recently slowed or temporarily halted 1911 production to revamp the production lines. Current guns are supposed to be some of their best in general fit and finish.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

@Gary1911A1
    @SoCalDep

Any updates on your JSOC guns? These would seem to be a value leader in the Tisas line. Whether or not the JSOC stuff is of interest the gun would seem well suited for general 1911ing. IDPA CDP, USPSA single stack etc. It might be just fine as-is with maybe a tweak of the sear spring.

I watched this awhile back. Good info on the 1911 in general and the Delta guns in particular. I think it is good info for anyone who might be Ti Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    @Gary1911A1
    @SoCalDep

Any updates on your JSOC guns? These would seem to be a value leader in the Tisas line. Whether or not the JSOC stuff is of interest the gun would seem well suited for general 1911ing. IDPA CDP, USPSA single stack etc. It might be just fine as-is with maybe a tweak of the sear spring.

At this point I probably have around 200 rounds of 230gr Federal HST and 100 round of 230gr ball with much of it one-hand shooting, both strong and support - no malfunctions and passed the 10-8 extractor test. Not a ton of rounds but sufficient for me to feel confident. It took one minor elevation adjustment (6 clicks “up” if I remember right) to bring it dead on at 20yds, which is the furthest distance at the indoor range I’ve been using.

I’ve been carrying it a fair amount, which is funny because The other three guns in the mix right now are all multi-thousand $ semi-custom or custom pistols. The only changes I’ve made are installing an extra power Wolff firing pin spring, the short Harrison trigger and a set of Herrett’s walnut grips.

Downsides:

The pistol won’t fit in my JN Custom AIWB, but I’ve been carrying at 3 o clock anyway…but it won’t fit my favorite holster there either (TT Gunleather Reinforced IWB) so I’ve been carrying it in a TT Gunleather Reinforced Scabbard and it’s comfortable. The cool thing is that any holster with optic compatibility should be good-to-go with it.

I wish the rear sight wasn’t such a huge billboard with sharp edges. It’s not a huge deal and I haven’t found it uncomfortable to carry. However, for manipulations and long-term clothing wear, and to reduce the potential for hitting/snagging the sight it would have been nice to be a bit lower profile. I may modify it in the future but too lazy at this point.

Overall:

For $750 - the acceptable accuracy, solid reliability, front strap checkering (not as nice as some but way better than nothing), mag well, well-fit beaver tail GS, and decent trigger - it seems to be a really good value. Would I take it off a free table instead of a similarly-outfitted Springfield? Nope, but let’s face it - getting a Springfield (or insert major brand) set up like the JSOC is gonna cost more in money and/or labor.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    At this point I probably have around 200 rounds of 230gr Federal HST and 100 round of 230gr ball with much of it one-hand shooting, both strong and support - no malfunctions and passed the 10-8 extractor test. Not a ton of rounds but sufficient for me to feel confident. It took one minor elevation adjustment (6 clicks “up” if I remember right) to bring it dead on at 20yds, which is the furthest distance at the indoor range I’ve been using.

I’ve been carrying it a fair amount, which is funny because The other three guns in the mix right now are all multi-thousand $ semi-custom or custom pistols. The only changes I’ve made are installing an extra power Wolff firing pin spring, the short Harrison trigger and a set of Herrett’s walnut grips.

Downsides:

The pistol won’t fit in my JN Custom AIWB, but I’ve been carrying at 3 o clock anyway…but it won’t fit my favorite holster there either (TT Gunleather Reinforced IWB) so I’ve been carrying it in a TT Gunleather Reinforced Scabbard and it’s comfortable. The cool thing is that any holster with optic compatibility should be good-to-go with it.

I wish the rear sight wasn’t such a huge billboard with sharp edges. It’s not a huge deal and I haven’t found it uncomfortable to carry. However, for manipulations and long-term clothing wear, and to reduce the potential for hitting/snagging the sight it would have been nice to be a bit lower profile. I may modify it in the future but too lazy at this point.

Overall:

For $750 - the acceptable accuracy, solid reliability, front strap checkering (not as nice as some but way better than nothing), mag well, well-fit beaver tail GS, and decent trigger - it seems to be a really good value. Would I take it off a free table instead of a similarly-outfitted Springfield? Nope, but let’s face it - getting a Springfield (or insert major brand) set up like the JSOC is gonna cost more in money and/or labor.
    That's all good info.

Just to be sure I understand. It is the size and location of the rear sight that's giving you the holster fit issues?

Yes. The pistol sits deep enough in the holster that the sight prevents it from seating fully. I think with the TT Gunleather any adjustable sight might be spicy but the JSOC is even more because it’s set forward.

I’ve attached a picture of the holster with a fixed sight Dan Wesson…
    Name:  89A0BC6C-6D39-4009-A68C-3C39C5300F94.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  79.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    @Gary1911A1
    @SoCalDep

I will have to shoot mine again next week. I did try to replace the grips, but I think the specifications on the Tisas are off as some others have reported. Guess I'll just buy another set of grips off the Tisas Site.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    I will have to shoot mine again next week. I did try to replace the grips, but I think the specifications on the Tisas are off as some others have reported. Guess I'll just buy another set of grips off the Tisas Site.
    On mine the stock grips were a pain to get off but the replacements went on easy. Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    When extractor replacement becomes necessary on a 1911, it's not uncommon to have to replace the FPS as well.
    I should have clarified...my problem with the extractor clocking was because of a poorly fit FPS, and was that way out of the box. It was loose in both the slide and the extractor. Since fixing that I've had zero problems with the Tisas. Now I'm contemplating buying the Stingray in 9mm as well. Does anyone have opinions on the bobtail 1911's?

User Tag List