Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: TISAS 1911s

Site Supporter
    Thank you! I'm not so interested in minute specs and details, but would simply like to know if the gun's internal parts are of the same design as John Browning's?

The finish doesn't really concern me, and I already learned I need to replace the plastic grips with ones made of wood. I have no intention of souping up the gun as others have. Replacing the grips will be the extent of my upgrading.

Can you recommend a good book or two on the operation and repair of 1911s?

Thank you!

Site Supporter
    Thank you! You weren't kidding, that book is pricey, a third of the gun cost. I noticed Amazon didn't have used copies. I always buy my books used for affordability. I'll keep my eye out for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    I'm a relatively new pistol rookie who's looked at the Tisas 1911s online and am thinking of getting one. I'd like to hear more about the gun from you and/or others who own "real" 1911s and a Tisas model. I'd like to get the model closest in specs to the original government model. Can you tell me if the internal mechanisms, action, I believe, is the correct term, is the same or nearly the same as Colt's original model? I really would like to buy a Colt, but I'm a poor retired guy who has a tight budget.

I'm eager to accept any and all information you or others are willing to provide.

I never fired, or even handled a 1911, but it's such an iconic pistol designed by the great John Browning, I feel it's my duty as an American male to own one and learn how to property handle it.

Thank you, Danko!
    The 1911A1 ASF model is probably what you're after.

The finish is manganese phosphate (parkerizing) not Ceracote. It's a close approximation of a WWII GI issued pistol and comes in 9mm or .45. msrp is just over $400.

So far, I've found most parts are as close to original spec as anything else. Nothing past the grip screws should be considered drop-in.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

1911 specs are one of those things that are more of a... guideline, a sort of unobtainable archetypical ideal, or a general consensus with everyone doing their own thing.
    The joke is that unlike the Glock or AR-15, the 'drop-in' 1911 parts usually require a fair bit of hand fitting & filing to work.
    And then there's the whole thing with some guns liking some mags better than others- and it's all too common that it isn't the mags that came with the gun.

However, if you just need a bit of a range toy based on JMB's most famous work of art, the TISAS should do just fine.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The 1911A1 ASF model is probably what you're after.

The finish is manganese phosphate (parkerizing) not Ceracote. It's a close approximation of a WWII GI issued pistol and comes in 9mm or .45. msrp is just over $400.

So far, I've found most parts are as close to original spec as anything else. Nothing past the grip screws should be considered drop-in.
    The CMP has declared this model to be a, "museum-grade reproduction," and will be offering an exclusive version of it.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I'd probably get one in 9mm so service life and recoil are probably moot. Even in 45 I'd never shoot the gun enough to worry about its longevity.

Is the dual recoil spring not available through the aftermarket? I know dual springs have been around a long time for short 1911s. I never looked for one for a 5" gun.

Here's something that pops up during a perfunctory Google search:

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=5942

Maybe combining the dual spring with a Keefer slide stop mod would be the ultimate in recoil reduction.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    That's a blast from the past. I was the author of that article...
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    That's a blast from the past. I was the author of that article...
    What became of MSW? It doesn't appear there's been anything new for about a year. Various authors all moved on to different interests?

I heard somewhere that Tim Lau retired from his California department and moved to Idaho. Hopefully that's true and he's enjoying himself.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Thank you, Joe! I don't know anywhere near enough about guns to tinker with them. You're right, I just want the gun for an occasional range visit. I know I have to ditch the plastic grips. That will be the extent of my mod's

Site Supporter
    Thank you for your input, Trooper224! A really close copy is all I need. Replacing the cheesy plastic grip panels with ones made of wood would be the only upgrade I'll need to make.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    Thank you for your input, Trooper224! A really close copy is all I need. Replacing the cheesy plastic grip panels with ones made of wood would be the only upgrade I'll need to make.
    Plastic grips are period correct, but the ASF model comes with walnut stocks.

User Tag List